1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Party creation

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale (Classic)' started by keldorn, Dec 29, 2010.

1. keldorn Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

hello, i'm new to IWD, and had a question about party creation. do you have to create your entire party, or can you add NPC characters like in the BG series?

2. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    There are no NPCs roaming the world who will join you. You have to (or rather, get to) create your entire party.

3. keldorn Gems: 1/31

i guess thats kinda good, you get exactly what you want in your party. but i liked having the different NPC's with there different personalities in the party. i never liked it when people made there own party for single player in BG(made a multiplayer game then tranfered the save file to single player) they always seemd to over powered.

4. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Understood. This is one of the key distinctions between the Icewind Dale games and the Baldur's Gate games. Baldur's Gate provides a number of pre-made NPCs who can join you who all bring a significant social dynamic to your playthrough, in addition to their combat abilities. And those dynamics change further when you mix and match certain party members together. Baldur's Gate is a bit more focused on the roleplaying experience.

IWD on the other hand allows you to create your "ultimate party" and bring it through the game from start to finish. This game has a greater focus on combat, and is a bit more hack & slash.

Both are well done, and enjoyable games in their own right. I prefer Baldur's Gate, but there are plenty of folks around here who prefer Icewind Dale.

My advice, don't look for one to be the other, or vice versa. Enjoy each of them for what they are.

5. keldorn Gems: 1/31

i agree, just trying to distinguish the differences so i can properly adjust my playing style. from what i've read (and what you said) this game focuses more on combat than BG so having an entire custom party will most likely not make your party seem overpowered. i never could understand why people would use cheats and mods that made your party more powerfull, takes the challange out of the game.

thanks for the help

6. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    There is an npc mod available -- complete with banter and romance. You just make one character and import the other five (although they are fairly set in their class and it pretty much means your main character must be a mage).

7. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] As a personal reccomendation, try the game without mods first - there is an NPC mod available though Icewind Dale uses a slightly different version of the engine than Baldurs Gate so there will be a few confines in how you use the NPCs from the mod than any other character.

I found Icewind Dale was actually quite nice in the fact it paid more attention to your character - race, class and stats than the Baldurs Gate series, so while the interparty banter is missing you feel a little bit more embedded into the world itself.

Have fun with the game :) That's the most important part.

8. Midget Gems Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

As you guys have pointed out, this is a key difference between BG and IWD. But I find it does give some replay value by allowing you to create unusual party combination. First time through take the usual balanced party, but then try something different - maybe a themed party or a totally unbalance mix so as to challenge your usual style and tactics.

My best ever IWD game was with 5 Gnomes, that is not something you get to do in BG.

9. Marceror

Media:
    Not to get too far off topic, but technically you can create such a party in Baldur's Gate by creating a multiplayer game and creating whatever party members you want from scratch. But again, this is an IWD related thread primarily, so I better stop derailing.

10. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

The design of IWD and the path the designer's force you take pretty much makes NPCs useless. There are no real side-quests you can partake in this game. Nothing but straight on plodding your way through the plot. Though I still love it for what it made to be, a slug-fest. I have beat this game Seven-Ways-To-Sunday and still love it every time I replay it.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.