1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Partial Planned Downtime Today

Discussion in 'Game/SP News & Comments' started by Taluntain, Sep 21, 2008.

1. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Later today (Monday) I'll be moving Sorcerer's Place to a new server, which will involve a certain amount of (partial) downtime. While the site will be accessible from both the old and the new server once the move starts, downloads and the message boards will only function on the new server. So until the DNS changes propagate for you (= you start accessing the new server), you will not be able to download any files or read or post on our message boards.

This transitional period may last from approximately 2 to 24 hours, depending on your location. You will know that you are loading the site from the new server once you are again able to download files and read/post on the message boards. I will also update this post once the move is complete.

UPDATE: The move is now complete. If you're reading this message, you're loading the site from the new server. Welcome!

NOTE: The old message boards WILL NOT MAKE THE TRANSITION TO THE NEW SERVER. So yes, this is the end of the road for the good old UBB. Everyone has had nearly a year of time to save any private messages (which did not carry over to the new boards) from the old boards, so I trust that those of you who did intend to do it, have done it. Those of you who still haven't, well, if you hurry up you might be able to do it before I flip the switch for good.

Just to reassure everyone, if you haven't had the chance to grab your old private messages off the old boards until too late, and you've got any that you desperately want to save, it will still be possible to do so even after the old boards are shut off. However, as I'm not planning on setting up the old boards again unless there's actual demand or need to do so, the ability to retrieve any private messages from the old boards after the cut-off point will be a paid service, so a warning is in order.

If anyone has any questions about this, fire away right here.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2008
  2. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Bigger and better hardware??

3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    As always. :) Any donations to help with the costs are heartily appreciated.

4. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Yay for new servers that don't suck! :D :rolling:

5. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    I wish there was a way to grab all the PMs in one button click - I want to save them, but I'm too ashamed to face my past and read them again. :D

6. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    Maybe it's the birthday present you've been asking for, Kitrax? :) :hbd:

7. Taluntain

Media:
    Deathmage, the new boards have this feature, but it's not something that can be done on the old. There are detailed instructions on how to save PMs off the old boards here.

8. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

I likely won't see it, working this night then sleeping till Monday in the evening.

So this is the end of the good ol' UBB. I admit I miss the 'private threads'... good memories.

9. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    since even I could see your notice with the screen set to 80% I wonder how many people will wonder what happened.

None are so blind as those who do not look. :lol: I think I see more now than before because I really have to look carefully.

Hokay, Tal, let me see what I have in PayPal. Not much but I guess every bit helps. Macaroni, beans or peanut butter and crackers again. But it is worth it. :thumb:

10. hannibal555 Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Media:
    [​IMG] Hmm, that is kind of sad.
    Though I didn't contribute this much I always apreciated the massive
    help and the acumulated wisdom in the old forums.
    Just try e.g. a BG2 topic search on "paladin" in the old forums vs. the new one.
    One of the biggest information sources in the internet concerning Infinity games will be gone :/
    Aw well time has to go on...

P.S.
    good I saw this one early enough to save e.g. earl greys sorceror spell picks thread ^^.

11. Taluntain

Media:
    [​IMG] Disciple of The Watch, private threads will very likely be making a comeback, if not sooner, then in the next major version of vBulletin. However, there'll be quite a few improvements to the PM system in the next version too, which is only months away.

hannibal555, every single post and thread from the old boards has transferred to these boards; nothing was lost. This announcement only concerns individual users' private messages, which did not transfer at all.

So nothing will be lost. If you're not finding something here that you did on the old boards, it's likely an issue with how you search (and the fact that searching is a bit different here). If you haven't yet, try the advanced search.

Again, EVERY PUBLIC THREAD from the old boards is also present on the new ones. Nothing has been or will be lost. If you need help finding something, just let me know.

12. hannibal555 Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Media:
    A misunderstanding, then.
    Well, that is a relief :)

13. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Poor Tal, ok, just put it on the pile.

14. Taluntain

Media:
    The migration is now under way, so the boards will be closing shortly. See you on the other side!

15. Arahar

Arahar Hmm, it's a dwarf. Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

are we there yet?

16. Taluntain

Media:
    You are if you're reading this. :D

17. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    I am, 'cause I'm reading that! :thumb:

18. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Good job, Tal. Congratulations. :thumb:

19. Taluntain

Media:
    Thanks. Though the site visitors see only a slight interruption in the availability of forums and downloads, the entire migration process in the background is monumentally time-consuming since it's not only Sorcerer's Place that's moving, but over a dozen hosted (sub)sites as well. Setting everything back up again from scratch is something that I really don't relish doing (though I've done it quite a few times already), but when it's got to be done, it's got to be done. Just in case anyone's been wondering why there's still no sign of that site update that's been in the works since forever - this server switch was unplanned so I'm a month behind on that and will only be able to get back to it now. Hopefully it won't be much longer before the site content update goes up now. Unfortunately, the fact that I'm the only one left to do all the news posting as well is only making things worse. There's simply too much to do around here for me to be able to manage everything and work on the content-side of things much at the same time.

20. Corangrane Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

cool beans!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.