1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Paladin of Mystra Pnp Rules

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by MindChild, Jul 14, 2005.

1. MindChild

MindChild Science should not set limits to imagination Resourceful Veteran

I actually have a question regarding PnP rules. are paladins of mystra allowed to go sorcerer AND wizard or just wizard as their allowed class. As in, can you take levels of paladin and sorcerer interchangably using PnP rules?

If this is the case, i have a fix for IWD2 to allow this. If it's not, well, i suppose this is a cheat and i'll prolly not release it :p

[ July 14, 2005, 23:42: Message edited by: MindChild ]

2. Woodwyrm Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

No, i think it only allows for multiclassing to Wizard; keep in mind that this is before the godswar, thus we have a Mystra more inclined to support Wizards than Sorcerers^^

3. MrNexx Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Actually, this may be after the Godswar, given that Iyatchu Xvim is a major deity of oppression... he got that portfolio after the Trial of Cyric, but only kept it until his poppa popped out of him.

And, a quick look in the FRCS says that there are no special Paladin orders devoted to Mystra. Azuth's paladins frequently learn wizardry, but they have no special ability to multiclass freely.

4. MindChild

5. MrNexx Gems: 7/31

Well, I only looked at the Forgotten Realms Campaign setting (3rd edition), which did not mention Paladins of Mystra. I think Chev was being a bit hyperbolic, or was looking at something else; I didn't see them. Not every Paladin-granting deity allows a wide variety of multiclasses to their paladins; Azuth specifically doesn't allow returning to paladin from another class, for example.

However, to translate what I said.

The "Godswar" is often called the Time of Troubles. Its a point when the Gods of Faerun were kicked out of the heavens and forced to live on the Prime Material for a time, because they had ticked off Ao, the High God. After some mortals found the objects that were stolen, the Gods were allowed to return... but several of them had died, most notably Bhaal (the Lord of Murder, and parent of the protagonist in Baldur's Gate), Myrkul (the god of the dead; Kresselack's tomb in IWD1 is dedicated to him, and you fight his sending, establishing it as being before the Time of Troubles), and Bane (the god of tyrrany and fear). All of their power went to a mortal named Cyric, who became a Greater God.

All of them had a plan to come back. Bhaal was going to do it through his many offspring (and, if you've played Descent to Undermountain, you could siphon some of Cyric's power to Bhaal in one subquest). Myrkul had a powerful artifact which he was going to use to take over a powerful mortal, and raise them to demigod status. Bane, apparently, placed seeds of himself inside his son Iyatchu Xvim, a powerful part-demon creature.

Cyric, however, went mad (he created a book which made the reader worship him as the only true god, then read it himself), and was eventually put on trial. At that trial, he lost control of several of his portfolios (i.e. areas over which he was a god)... the portfolio of death was given to Kelemvor, a former mortal. The portfolio of tyrrany and fear was given to Iyatchu Xvim. In the early 1370s, Bane erupted out of his son... destroying the boy, taking the portfolios, and returning as a god.

This allows us to date the two IWDs within a fairly small area. We know that IWD1 took place before the Time of Troubles, because Myrkul was still a deity of power... the undead in the Vale of Shadows, and the Myrkul's Sending you fight in Kresselack's tomb confirm that. We know that IWD2 takes place between 1369 (when Iyatchu Xvim is freed, and becomes a lesser God) and 1372 (when Bane erupts from Xvim's body). We know this because the female of the half-demons worships Xvim, and that was only possible in the three years mentioned. Since IWD1 is 30 years previous, we can also narrow it down to 1339-1342 (assuming 30 years is an accurate number, and not just an easy, round number).

For reference, IWD1 takes place about the time that Drizz't Do'Urden begins his adventures in the Underdark (the novel Exile takes place in 1338-1340) and abovegroun (1340-1347), and some adventurers in Phlan are defeating the original Pool of Radiance (Pool of Radiance takes place in 1340). Drizz't and Company will not encounter the Crenshinibon until about 10 years after IWD. IWD2 takes place in recent history for the Realms... about the same time as Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor and Baldur's Gate II are happening.

Does that clear things up a bit?

6. MindChild

that clears things up quite a bit actually, yes. It was also very informative thank you.

7. MrNexx Gems: 7/31

No problem. To tell the truth, I was kind of curious when IWD1 took place, and this gave me a good excuse to do research. I didn't realize that Xvim had power for such a short time, to tell the truth.

8. MindChild

9. MrNexx Gems: 7/31

Yeah, but he's also talking about Clerics, not Paladins.

10. MindChild

close enough for me :p both fight evil using a diety, both are limited by multiclasses...and both have that oh so neat ability to walk around casting spells...err performing miracles...while wearing full plate :p only difference i see is clerics would be more reserved to the books while paladins seem more reserved to the battlefield. More reason to let them have innate magic rather than book magic...hard to learn book magic while you're knee deep in zombie goo ^_^

11. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

@ MrNexx... I fear you may be wrong - journal entries in IWD II mention the year 1320, and it sets IWD I around 30 years before that. Also, in Targos there is a cleric of Mirkul, and there is a dreadmaster of Bane kit, therefore it must be before the time of troubles.
    Of course, this raises problems with the Paladin of Mystra kit - the second incarnation of Mystra was LN and shouldn't normally have paladins. Well, actually, Helm does, so I suppose it's not impossible.

12. MrNexx Gems: 7/31

Yeah, I remembered about the dedicant of Myrkul while playing IWD1 tonight. Never played evil, so the Dreadmaster didn't register on me.

However, a LN deity can, by the rules, have a Paladin. Your alignment can be no more than one "step" away from your Patron deity's, and so the God of a paladin can be LG, NG, or LN.

13. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    If there's nothing in the Forgotten Realms book, check Faiths and Pantheons for paladin orders. Practically every order allows fighter and cleric, while there are some which allow more. Torm is a bit different, allowing any class but only one. Paladins of Azuth are supposed to switch over to the wizard class and there is no coming back because it stands for a new stage in their lives. You might be confusing Mystra with Azuth. While Azuth is the god of wizards (among other things), Mystra (Midnight) is of spellcasters in general, even if she's a wizard herself. The previous Mystra was Lawful Neutral in alignment and much closer with Azuth than the current one (probably consort), so sorcerers would probably have felt a bit less home with her than wizards, so to say, also considering the fact that wizards tend to be Lawful while sorcerers Chaotic, the two step rule effectively making room for most wizards (LG, LN and LE) and only CN sorcerers. Still, any paladin/sorcerers would have to be LG, anyway.

[ July 17, 2005, 12:06: Message edited by: chevalier ]

14. Arianyr Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

"While Azuth is the god of wizards (among other things), Mystra (Midnight) is of spellcasters in general, even if she's a wizard herself"

isnt it the other way around? mystra=magic, azuth=spellcasters in any form?

15. chevalier

Media:
    Mystra is of magic, the Weave and spellcasters. Azuth is of spells (in general) and wizards.

16. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Page 26 of the 3E Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting shows special paladin orders who are seemingly allowed to have their knights multiclassed under some restrictions.
    Mystra's Order of the Mystic Fire isn't among them.

I think the rules for multiclassing Paladins and Monks are rather silly, though. If you can play a Sorcerer/Paladin of Mystra properly, or a Monk/Paladin/Fighter/Cleric of Ilmater, for instance, why not? As long as you are still in good terms with your patron, I see no wrong.

17. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

I'd rephrase that as "As long as you're still living up to the paladin code", actually. But yeah. Paladin multiclass rules are silly.

18. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Eh.. yes, of course. That's want I wanted to say. :)
    It's good to have you as "Hand of the Master", Ser Faragon.

19. chevalier

Media:
    Paladin orders like Aster or Mystic Fire or Merciful Sword or by deity names? I'm sure I've seen something about paladins of Mystra somewhere and I've also heard some geekier people talk about those for all I remember. I'm pretty sure sorcerer is an option, although, naturally, wizard is Mystra's own class and more likely to have a Lawful alignment, thus theoretically being a more likely possibility unless balanced out by the convenient reliance of both paladins and sorcerers on Charisma.

20. MrNexx Gems: 7/31

I just checked the Mystra entry in Faiths & Pantheons... Mystra sponsors the Knights of the Mystic Fire, an order of Paladins, but I didn't see anything mentioned about lenient multiclassing for them.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.