1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

paladin/fighter character

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Charlie, Feb 4, 2003.

1. Charlie Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

[​IMG] I've read a lot about a paladin x/ fighter 4 combination. In what order does one get the fighter levels? 4 fighter levels first and then paladin all the way, alternate paladin and fighter levels until you have 4 fighter levels or some other method?

2. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Well, if you take the Paladin of Helm you can take any order you want, becuase that "kit" is allowed to multiclass freely between the Paladin and Fighter class. If you take Paladin of Ilmater or Mystra, take four levels of fighter up front. (Remember to be Lawful Good aligned or you won't be able to level as Paladin)

3. Viking Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] Why does everyone insist on Pally x/Fighter 4?

Try this one for size: Pally 3 / Fighter x, or Pally 8 / Fighter x.

Gives the main bonuses, BUT more flexible with more feats.

I'd go for the former, with low Cha since you're not looking for the spells.

4. Taz Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

to viking

yes your right i think your paladin is better with i would probaly say 8th lvl so you can get the Feat that gives +2 to all dragon like creatures and then the rest to fighter. but i would say max charisma because of the saving throws he get and lower Wisdom totally and int shouldt be too high also unlees he need some skill points.

But i have a question here so Which build is the best and why ?? the lov pala and high fighter or opposite.

and is it just me or is it right that if you start with fighter you will gain 2 feat and another at 2 and 4 lvl but if you start out as paladin you will gain 1 and 1 more at 2nd lvl and then i think 5th lvl and so on every third from here. But the question is if i start with the paladin and for example gives the first lvl upgrade to fighter i only gain 1 feat that means you loose one feat but if you start out as fighter you wouldnt lose that, is that right or what :S ?? please help

5. Faragon Gems: 25/31

Veteran

First off, Taz, could you make use of capital letters proper punctuation? It makes reading a lot easier and less mindnumbing ;)

Second: Viking, A Paladin with low charisma is missing out the best advantage of his class, namely the savingthrows bonus!

As for which would be best, it depends on what you want from the character. If you want him purely to dish out damage, then the fighter seems the best choice. (Although Paladins can also kick quite the amount of ass ;) ) If you're looking for a bit more versatility (Healing and spellcasting) and in general better at tanking than fighters, than Paladin is best suited.

6. Taz Gems: 2/31

but which du you think is best all in all ?

7. Faragon Gems: 25/31

Veteran

Like I said, simply best doesn't exist. Best can only determined from what you measure the quality of the character by. Without knowing that, I cannot tell you what would be considered best in your opinion.

Best in my opinion is the Paladin, because he's a versatile and resilient tank with healing and spell abilities.

More on that here.

8. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    To answer Tazmanian Devil's questions,

Every character in the game gets at least one feat to start with, and always gets a feat at 3rd level, 6th level, and so on. A character always gets a bonus feat for adding the 1st level of fighter, the second level of fighter, and the 4th level of fighter. It does not matter when you pick up those Fighter levels. You always get the bonus feats for them.

In response to Viking's question, there are plenty of real incentives to go with Paladin of Helm x/ Fighter 4.

1) The Fiendslayer feat, which involves a +2 damage to both hit and damage against Dragons, Half-Dragons, Demons, and Chimeras. Comes into play quite often.

2) Lay on Hands involves healing the number of hit points equal to Paladin level x charisma modifier.

3) Smite Evil inflicts extra damage equal to the number of Paladin levels of the character.

9. Viking Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Beren,

True, but why not Paladin 8 / Fighter x

Gives the fiendslayer feat or whatever it was called. Lay on hands 48 is not too bad and you can smite quite evil things by then too.

10. Charlie Gems: 14/31

[​IMG] Thanks for the replies. I'm glad there was some discussion of other combinations. I'll try them out.

11. Taz Gems: 2/31

as i can see tha most popular build is paladin x / fighter 4 and how does the ability points look like. i Have found these but have some questions about them ;) .

Strength 14 - isnt it a bit lov strength ?

Dexterity 12 - why not 18 or 10 why 12 ?

Constitution 18 - agree

Intelligence 3 - agree

Wisdom 13 - isnt strength more important that wisdom ?

Charisma 20 - agree

And i have a other question and that is about fighter builds, WHAT is the best fighter build : A pure fighter or the very popular barbarian x / fighter 4 ?? please help

and about Alignment of my party of 6 what shall i choose. Its because in icewind dale 1 there was pretty many only evil iteam and some only good :S are there any her who will help me so i dont miss out of some great items?.

I dont know my full team yet still needs some figuring out But the team i need alignment help for is this.

1 my paladin class
    2 my fighter class build
    3 Aasimar - Pure cleric of Lathander
    4 Thiefling -Roque x/ranger 1 i think
    5 Aasimar - Sorcerer pure
    6 Thiefling - Wizard pure

[ February 05, 2003, 11:43: Message edited by: Tazmanian Devil ]

12. Faragon Gems: 25/31

Veteran

Strength 14 - isnt it a bit lov strength ?

Well, it's not very high, but it's viable. Especially if your cleric can cast Bull's Strength, and iirc there's a lvl3 STR boosting spell your Paladin can cast.

Dexterity 12 - why not 18 or 10 why 12 ?

Personally I say put dex at 8. Your AC will be boosted enough with heavy armors. There's another reason listed below.

Constitution 18 - agree

Intelligence 3 - agree

*coughpowergamingcough* ;)

Wisdom 13 - isnt strength more important that wisdom ?

Well, this way you'll be able to cast up to lvl3 Divine spells with the Paladin.

Charisma 20 - agree

Personally I'd take the following setup:

STR 16
    DEX 8
    CON 18
    INT 8
    WIS 10
    CHA 20

If you put a point in Wis once every four levels, he will be able to cast spells up to the third divine spell level by the time he's level12, at which he is first able to cast level3 spells anyway.
    I put DEX at 8, and you might argue that this gives him a -1 to Reflex Saving, but I say that's with the ST boost from your CHA modifier, your savings will be good enough.
    This way your character works out nicely, and isn't dumb as an Otyguh. Of course this isn't powergaming, so that might not be your cup of tea.

And i have a other question and that is about fighter builds, WHAT is the best fighter build : A pure fighter or the very popular barbarian x / fighter 4 ?? please help

The most powergaming fighter would be fighter4/barbarianX.

[ February 05, 2003, 13:15: Message edited by: Faragon ]

13. Charlie Gems: 14/31

Taz:

Most of your characters already have alignment restrictions (paladins, aasimars, tieflings) so it won't be too difficult to choose. But you might be better off starting a new topic to get more replies.

14. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    There's a reason for Strength at 14.

I usually add my ability bonuses to Charisma. At around the 12th level though, I add one to Strength. When the Holy Avenger is acquired, another +1 to strength meaning a Strength of 16.

I then buy the Little Giant girdle for a Strength of 20. Add to this the awesome Holy Avenger, and Weapon Specialization for Long Swords, he certainly doesn't lack for cranking out the damage.

Point taken about the Intelligence score. I do consider myself something of a power-gamer and something of a roleplayer at the same time. Perish the thought.

In response to Faragon's query about the Paladin x/Fighter 4 vs. Barbarian x/Fighter 4, I've posted an honest and considered reply to that issue in the thread "Fighter vs. Barbarian vs. Paladin".

[ February 05, 2003, 18:29: Message edited by: Beren ]

15. Faragon Gems: 25/31

Veteran

I had a query about the Paladin x/Fighter 4 vs. Barbarian x/Fighter 4? Heh, learn something new everyday. ;)

And you are correct Beren, there are several ways to boost STR to very good heights using items. But iirc Paladins aren't allowed to use the +4 STR belt. Mine made do with the +2 one ;)

16. Beren

Media:
    Sorry Faragon,

I didn't realize you were quoting Taz. You're quote was in bold, while I had to look through what comes across as fine print to find out that it was Taz posing the question.
    ;)

So, in response to Taz's query, check out my bottom post in the thread "Tank Build: Fighter vs. Barbarian vs. Paladin" started by Edron Morin Tedronai.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.