1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Out of curiousity...why do some people ignore non-FR mods\games?

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by diagnull, Sep 12, 2007.

1. diagnull Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

[​IMG] Based on comments I've seen about NWN mods and various other games, it seems like a lot of people won't play D&D games if it's not set in Forgotten Realms.

Personally, I don't see what the big deal is. FR is cool, sure. But all the various realms sound cool to me. I first got into D&D games through Dragonlance, so switching to FR was kind of strange just because of the minor differences (no kender, slightly different rules for races and classes, etc.)

But really, it's all D&D, right?

:)

-D

2. BlckDeth Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Veteran

What about Planescape: Torment?

It's not FR, but there are still plenty of mods out there for it I'm pretty sure.

3. Trellheim Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Media:
    Because of a certain drow ranger.
    Hint: starts with a D. :p

BTW isn't kender really just halfling?

4. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

Well, for one thing, there are more FR games than other settings, and they're typically better made (PS:T being a rather notable exception). But even PS:T doesn't have many mods, though; you could probably count the number on your fingers and toes. Personally, I too would like to see more Dragonlance games (I have over a hundred DL novels, and the setting makes for great stories), but the public at large likes FR better, so they make FR games.

The reason the public at large likes FR? Each setting has, for lack of a better word, a type. Dragonlance seems to be geared toward good stories and character interaction (though I may be a bit biased there, considering), Ravenloft toward horror fans, Dark Sun toward psionics, Starjammer toward sci-fi, etc. FR's type, however, is a bit more elusive; the main component is being very high-magic, which isn't really a theme. And while this could appeal most to munchkins, there's just enough of other themes that non-munchkins will have a decent time playing as well.

So it ends up making a better "general" setting than others, and then considering that the bigger gamemakers are looking for the biggest audience possible...well, you get a lot of good FR games from them, and then smaller (or start-up) companies try to make non-FR games and crap out because they don't have the resources to make a good one. That divide in quality begins to strengthen the preference, and create almost a brand loyalty.

What we need is more games like PS:T, that are very good (though not to the level of PS:T that people will be near *afraid* of modding it), but from other settings. Eventually, it could conceivably combat the public conception. What we'll get, however...probably just more FR. :bad:
    ...Oh, f- *casts Protection from Nakia*
    Seriously, they're not at all the same. Kender have a boundless curiosity that sends them out into the world, along with having no fear. Halflings are mostly homebodies, who, while cheerful, aren't the damn-near-suicidal explorers that kender are. I could go on listing the differences for pages (and Nakia just might if she sees this ;) ), but the important thing is that while kender do fill in as a sixth race in place of the missing halflings, they really aren't that much alike.

[ September 12, 2007, 23:04: Message edited by: Felinoid ]

5. Ilmater's Suffering Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I'd love more Greyhawk games. I love Greyhawk deities (maybe I'm just a sucker for Wee Jas). Strangely however I have no Greyhawk books. Eberon is too weird for my taste with the heavy amount of psonics (sp?) and the Warforged. Greyhawk, probably because it was the original D+D world (as I understand) has more of the traditional fantasy feel to it while Eberon and the Forgotten Realms feel more like variations on a theme.

However maybe ToEE was bad enough where there was no reason to add on to it. Can't say as I've never played it.

6. diagnull Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Seems to me like they should do the same on the PC as they do in PnP:

Create a base set of rules that support all the various settings (the idea behind d20 I believe). Then crank out mods in whatever setting they feel like, like all the various Eberron, d20 Modern, etc stuff. Each mod would have some special rules that apply, but that should be planned from the beginning.

Kind of a NWN but with everything you need to drop in a Dark Sun mod, or a Dragonlance mod, without having to wait on support.

I guess that's probably not where the money is though...

7. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

Back in the second edition days, I enjoyed Stone Prophet, set in the Ravenloft setting. I just coult never execute the ending right...

8. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

@IS: Eberron has no high amount of psionics. That's just a propaganda lie. ;)

The only forces that majorly rely on psionics are the Kalashtar and the Quori, whose war is very exclusive and not very well known.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.