1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Optimal laptop for a $850 budget?

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Enagonios, Jul 21, 2010.

1. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I guess the topic says it all folks. My current HP520 (very old school, it doesn't even have a mic or camera) has served me well these past 3 and a half years but it's just too banged up already. I mean, without an external laptop fan it just overheats and shuts down in a few minutes. And the battery is totally crapped out as well and you have to have it plugged in if you want to use it for more than maybe 5mins or so without having it just shut down out of nowhere.

I don't have very large software or hardware requirements or anything. I guess I'd just like something fairly reliable/durable with which I can use the latest windows OS (if a good mac is suggested though, i'm open but they tend to be more expensive, right?) and maximize whatever "gaming options" I can.

Any advice and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all.

2. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    No worries, no mac's

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834115792 This is a start to go from. I myself dislike Acer but these specifications are good. The Ati 5650 will let you play new games in medium.

Then you could say how about this one it looks more powerful whit the processor:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834115791 BUT it lacks a gaming/multi purpose laptop grade graphic card. Yes the processor is stronger but the graphic card sucks.

And that is the thing, the combination of all the specifications. If you want to game, no Intel card will do. It has to have a specific GPU.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2010
  3. Fallen Paladin

Fallen Paladin The One and the Same Veteran

Buy a new battery and clean up all the dust inside the laptop so it won't overheat anymore.:)

4. Taza

Taza Weird Modmaker Veteran

I'd try the Asus UL30Jt and/or the UL30Vt.

5. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

If you don't mind going to Best Buy you can pick up a good Asus notebook for next to nothing if don't mind last year models. The newer models cost more and the performance is not much better than last year's model.

6. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Asus is top notch

7. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Have a good look at the graphics card. That's somewhat tricky with notebooks, and iirc Intel is to be avoided in favour of AMD and Nvidia.

8. Taza

The UL30Vt fits the advice of 3 previous posts... and it has a discrete, if slow, GPU. UL30Jt is just coming out, and is replacing UL30Vt.

That is, the GPU is slow by desktop standards. By notebook standards it's blazin'. It's plenty for some games... and insufficient for others. If the game's 3 years or older, it'll likely run fine, but don't expect to run the latest and greatest on it. It may still be possible, though.

And the battery's good - up to 10 hours... at brightness minimum, no wifi/bluetooth, the discrete GPU turned off while doing something that doesn't stress the CPU. In practice, think half that if doing web surfing or light gaming, third that if doing heavy gaming, and two thirds if doing text editing or surfing with flash off.

9. Merlanni

Media:
  10. Taza

While rather more powerful than the UL30Vt, they also show why gaming laptops are such a problem for me - those things are all 15 inches or larger. Personally, I hate Sony and couldn't in good conscience recommend the Vaio to anyone, but the rest look good. Except for the battery life.

---------- Added 20 hours, 57 minutes and 31 seconds later... ----------

And in a turn of events I believe warrants a new post: Just placed an order for my own UL30Vt. So if you'll wait a few weeks, I oughta have more detailed info.

If you're fine with a 15 inch 7lbs machine with no battery life - then by all means purchase one. They're gonna have splendid game performance compared to the more lightweight systems, but they're also a colossal pain to drag around.

11. Topken

Topken Elven-dragon wizard

lolo taza that is where a rolling backpack comes in handy so you dont have to carry the dang thing lol.

12. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

Thanks for all the advice guys. That ulvt 30 is really tempting. The only thing making me hesitate is the lack of an optical drive.

@Taza

where are you ordering it from and at how much? The cheapest I found was a 690USD (without shipping and everything yet).

13. Taza

I paid $900 for mine without shipping... but it IS the Nordic model, and that's including taxes.

... I use mostly Steam, so the lack of an optical drive doesn't really bother me.

14. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

just wanted to look into a different type as well...

with the same 850$ ceiling price, what would be the best gaming laptop that i could get? truth be told, i wont be doing all that much moving around anyway and don't mind a 14 or even 15 inch screen. I'd probably be close to a power source most of the time anyway so i could sacrifice battery life for superior graphics and sounds. i'd like the heat management to still be good though. and a sturdy build as well as much as possible.

15. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

just wanted to let everyone know that i'm probably going with the asus ul30vt. i wont be getting it until about november though.

@taza

i'd appreciate it if you let me know more about it once you've got yours.

thanks a lot all.

16. Taza

The UL30Vt is absolutely fantastic for web browsing.

Gaming-wise, it runs NWN2 and Team Fortress 2 reasonably at the minimum settings.

The battery life is very good - as long as you turn the discrete graphics card off.

It will not run GTAIV. Tried that, and where I could play at the absolute minimum, it's still laggy.

EDIT: One noticeable complaint: The wireless range is pathetic. Not that bad given I don't tend to keep it far from the wireless devices, but might be a problem elsewhere. Bluetooth especially has a barely meter range.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2010
  17. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

Thanks for the feedback Taza.

Now that the JT has come out though, I'm leaning towards a UL80JT.

I just heard about the Gateway ID49c08u though and its a tossup between the two of them.

What do you guys think? laptopmag.com gave them both high marks in (i think) comprehensive reviews and they're about the same price, so I'm not too sure which one to go with. I have to decide by the end of the month already which one to order.

This is the review for the ul80jt

http://www.laptopmag.com/review/laptops/asus-ul80jt.aspx

This one is for the ID49c08u

http://www.laptopmag.com/review/laptop/gateway-id49c08u.aspx

Thanks again for all the help guys.

Ah crap, just found the Alienware m11x on amazon for $867 as well and it looks tempting too! :doh:

18. Taza

Honestly, I don't know either way about the Gateway. Both look good.

However, the UL30Vt could save you $150 - more if you get it when it's out later. The UL80Jt looks pretty fantastic too, so as far as advice goes, it's really about preference by now, as far as I know.

Do note that you really want the Core 2 Duo version of the UL30Vt. The Celeron version has an undersized CPU.

19. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

I just wanted to thank everyone for the advice again. I ended up ordering the ASUS U45JC-A1. It's got an i3-370 processor and is the standard 14-inch. Not quite as thin or light as the ul80jt but I think the difference between the i3-330 and i3-370 was pretty big, considering it was only just slightly more expensive. If anyone wants to look at it, I got mine off of amazon http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-U45JC-A1...YMA6/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1286191300&sr=8-3

I'm expecting it early November and will give some feedback then if anyone is interested.

I hope it will at least be able to play Mass Effect 2, hah

20. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Shame you didn't use the SP Amazon link...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.