1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Opinion on Mass Battles Idea

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights 2' started by Marceror, Sep 13, 2006.

1. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    As we inch closer to the release date for this game, I'll likely pop in from time to time to post my thought of the moment.

Currently that thought revolves around the mass battles that I recently learned will have a part in the latter portions of the game. I just gotta say that I am so incredibly stoked that this element is finally being pulled into a full blown CRGP. We've seen the RTS world attempt to integrate elements of RPG games (e.g. Dragonshard, Spellforce), but as much as I enjoy a good RTS game, I'm an RPGer at heart and have been waiting for a long time to let my CRPG bard turn around to find his army of loyal followers marching behind him toward the fields of battle.

What I really find intriguing is that, apparently, in NWN2 you'll be gaining followers over the course of the game, and employing them as defenders of your stronghold. The more attention you devote to this pursuit, the better defended you will be. And not all of your followers will necessarily be fighter types, as there is a decent variety of professions included. The idea is just so great that I can't help but smile! :)

Now, all that said, I sure as hell hope Obsidian nailed the implementation of this feature, because a poor implementation could easily kill it. But I'm choosing to remain optimistic (in spite of the publisher, which I have oh so little faith in).

Is anyone as stoked as I am about the mass battle idea, or would you rather just keep to your party of 4, like you always have in CRPGs?

[ September 13, 2006, 16:19: Message edited by: Marceror ]

2. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    As in a situation once or twice in the game, of for the greater part of the game? As for a game to be totally like that, I would say no. Like the batlle in HotU yes. I agree. but the battle in Hotu was far to small. A good skirmish nothing more.

For me the most important thing in a rpg is the exploring/adventure part. What is in the next street, what is in the next corridor. A man, will he attack, rus, speak... Remeber the riddlefaced walls in the asylum in bg2, or the brigde just before the temple in the all seeying eye quest. The fighting is a close second. If I want a game with only battles, I will play guild wars or something similair.

so, if the attention of the gamemakers is focused on batlles, and away from dungeon crawling, the game will sell less.

3. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    My understanding is that your armies will participate only in a few of the key battles during the latter half of the game. The rest of the game will involve your PC and up to 3 companions.

4. ion Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

My only reservation would be the ineveitable slow down on anything but a super pc. In my experience, when an engine that is built for small party gameplay attempts to depict a large scale battle, performance takes a huge hit and the battle is more trouble than its worth.

5. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    I have the same reservation as ion- I'm not sure my PC is gonna be too happy with lots of effects and creatures all over the place.

However, I do have something I am wondering about. It has been said that the more effort you put into your force, the better protected you are. Is the game going to give you a sensible lternative to simply doing the quests that give you more forces? After all, if there is no real alternative, then everyone will end up with their forces at maximum capacity everytime. And that kinda sucks.

6. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    I'm hoping this army can upgrade your keep throughout the game, like they did in Suikoden. You start out with a more or less empty keep and as you gain troops the rooms get filled with their various features. One room for a mage's alchemical experiements, a tower for summoning, the main hall can become the training room for fighters, stuff like that.

7. Poet-Sirrah Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

You can have four guys in your party?! SWEET!

But yeah. The bigger the battles, the better, I say.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.