1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

opening rar files?

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Enagonios, Nov 2, 2008.

1. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

[​IMG] yes, I do have winrar installed. but I don't know how to use it :o

sooo, what do i do? i notice that a number of the icons are those of books. Do I just highlight those and, uh, extract them or something?

2. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    Double-click the .RAR file in Windows Explorer to open it, or right-click and select Extract to Here or Extract to <filename> (this creates a folder with the name <filename>).

EDIT: 1,600th piece of spam!

3. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Options I get when right clicking on a .rar

Code:
    Open
    Explore
    Extract files...
    Extract Here
    Extract to Stuff\
    Open - opens up winrar, from there you can select Extract To (alt+E) to choose where to unrar to, you can also select only the files you want extracted, though it can be a little unpredictable with that.

Explore - treats the rar as a directory to view what is in it without opening winrar itself.

Extract files... - brings up a menu and a directory tree to chose where you would like to unpack things.

Extract Here - extracts to the current directory the rar is in

Extract to X - creates a sub directory in the current directory the rar is in.

With multiple normal files (or rar files) selected you have more options when you right click. The option to create an archive puts all files selected into one rar file, there are also options for rar files selected to extract each to a separate folder, which can be handy managing downloads in one go.

Those are the main things I personally use, and that are most commonly used, anything else you want to know about it?

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    You will only see the options listed above if you have chosen to integrate WinRAR with the shell during installation; if not, you'll need to pick shell integration in the program's properties after installation.

5. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

ah. that.. was easier than I thought lol. Thanks guys, I thought maybe I had to extract them all one by one or something, apparently not.

6. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Another sweet thing about WinRAR is that it opens pretty much everything.

7. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

I use Extract Now and it opens all of my compressed files with ease. It is as simple as drag and drop.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.