1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

One future among other futures

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Oxymore, May 14, 2003.

1. Oxymore Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

A little scenario:

Now that Iraq has been taken care of, suddenly, attacks occur in Saudi Arabia just as if someone was trying to keep the TV-news watchers on their toes.
    American exclusivity over Saudi oil exploitation won't be guaranteed after 2005, thus American troops are withdrawn from Saudi soil and positioned in newly conquered Iraq before that.
    As Bush gets reelected, Saudi Arabia becomes the next step of the war against terror (whatever that is), after a heavy media campaign, it becomes obvious to everyone that Arabia is a "rogue" state ruled by fanatic leaders, harbors Al-Qaida terrorists, has powerful armed forces, and that the free and (self)righteous must do something about it.
    Then begins the bombing and invasion, (still in the name of democracy and betterment of mankind, of course) later the reconstruction is handled by Halliburton&friends for the best of the poor, oppressed Saudi population.
    By some funny twist of fate a great portion of the planet's oil supply then happens to fall in US hands (but that was not their intention, they only thought of bringing freedom to people), Japan and Europe are held by the economical balls. More and more troops are stationed in the near-east, closing on the Suez canal and the Caspian sea further encircling Russia, UN gets blown to smithereens.

*Casts Armor of protection from flames*

What future do you see?

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    :rolleyes:

I see the US switching to a hydrogen based energy supply, where the hydrogen is supplied by sunlight-driven electrolysis of water, thus vastly reducing it's need for oil as well as reducing carbon emissions and pollution.

Then I see Oxymore and Yago on these boards holding forth with their conspiracy theories that the US is trying to take over the world's supply of water to feed it's insatiable energy needs.

3. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Yago sees himself going next sunday to the ballot and is voting for a regulation, which, with many others together, plan to secure, that we're there before BTA's country is. :D :D ;)

Yago counts on the Republican party slowing the development down.

I see many countries (mainly in Europe and East-Asia) reevaluating their existing alliances, and make new ones, getting closer together. There is nothing more unifiying than pressure from the outside and danger to national interest.

The UK ?

Lord Robertson

Iraq and the whole of Arabia has not been taken care of. Still the machinery is spinning. The deciding point will be, are other countries willing to spill the blood of their soldiers in peace-keeping missions in the Middle-East, while on the same time have no say in the important political decisions.

It remains to see, how the Arabs and in particular the Iraqis will react to a foreign Goverment on their soil, if their under the impression, that they are not governd in their best interest -> No taxation without represantation.

Actually, I think some wars and conflicts in Africa are about water. :confused: Like if it's not raining enough. :D
    Huh, maybe it's going to be a new civil war. I thought the west coast gets its water from the "heartleand":

But I am not worried about the water supply as it's still raining here and my car is still thirsty for oil.

[ May 14, 2003, 18:12: Message edited by: Yago ]

4. Darkwolf Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Yago, you said in regards to the US developing hydrogen power:

I hope that the (IIRC) $9 billion that Bush 43 just granted to GM to develop HFC technology doesn't come as too much of a disapointment. :p

5. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

A. That's corporate funding = social welfare for the rich.

B. GM needs that because they lack behind. :p

(I actually thaught, that BTA is talking about the States which are ordering modern (serious lack of English vocabulary) cars with moderm technology in Japan. Daimler-Benz is in the race too = "Smart")

C. It's not part of a bigger plan, just money for some comrades.

(Further discussion on modern-car technology would need a new thread)

Dam, I just find the conspiracy-theroy funny.

Others conspiracy-theroies for which I fell:

1. The British expansion in East and South Asia was somehow related to "Tea"

2. The establishment of European colonies in Africa was somehow related to "Slave-trade"

3. The Boer-war and the colonies in the southernpart of Africa were somehow related to "Diamonds"

4. The Francp-Prussian war was somehow related to "Coal"

5. The crimerian war was somehow related to let a certain country not through to the "Mediterranian"

6. The Spanish/Portugese establishment of colonies in the Americas was somehow related to "Silver and Gold".

7. The opiumwars were somehow related to "Opium"

[ May 14, 2003, 19:34: Message edited by: Yago ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.