1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Once more to our deaths!

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by Cap'n CJ, Sep 29, 2009.

1. Cap'n CJ

Cap'n CJ Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    So, i've decided to start a new game of Baldur's Gate and I thought i'd keep track of it here for you all to read. it might even get entertaining at some point!

I'm not going to use Tutu, or any mods in fact. This will be as nature intended. Thus begins, The Misadventure's of Kray's Supercrew!

Leader of this savvy bunch is Kray, a Fighter/Mage that can only be described as WOEFULLY inept. Through the game that'll be played out by the fact that i'm horrible at Baldur's Gate.. .

I eventually rolled his stats as:
    18/13

High, but not as good as i'd hoped, but I was getting bored. Anyway, to Candlekeep!

---------- Added 2 hours, 10 minutes and 31 seconds later... ----------

So, things have started reasonably well.

First off, Kray did everything that needs doing in Candlekeep.. Almost. I forgot to hand in the crossbow bolts, but other than that, all good :) Chopped down Shank and Carbos in record time. Went through the usual cutscene where poor old Gorion gets cut down, and then off we go!

I've decided to bring Imoen along with me, as I need some Rogue skills in the party, and I kinda like the brat. I'll dual class her to a mage at some point, but for now, thiefy thief!

After grabbing all I could from Gorion's cold, dead fingers, we headed back to the road and recruited two new companions, Xzar and Montaron! They seem nice...ish. For now i'll take all I can get, though. Rough fight coming up.

We're heading north, when Imoen notices something twinkling in a rock.. We have our first magic ring! It goes on Kray, I don't want him to get splatted. Anyway, onward to he FAI!

...Moments later, we arrive at the FAI. After a quick detour to grab yet another magic ring, we roll on into the place. After a few minutes of flexing our muscles and chatting up the local floosies, we decide to head inside and get a drink.

But who's this? Why yes, i'm Kray... Yes, i'm from Candlekeep...Wait, what? AAAARGH! MY FACE!

The fight didn't go so well, luckily a guard noticed what was going on and chopped him to bits. With all that unpleasantness over, I nick everything he had and step inside. Here, we recruit two new people. They seem a lot nicer than Xzar and Monty.

With a full party of 6, it's a quick stop at Joia's, then off to fight the hobgoblins! As expected, they drop easy, but unfortunately a couple of party members suffer, uh, "accidents". Xzar and Monty are smashed to pulp, but on the plus side, I find Joia's ring! Then I take a quick trip north and bump into my new tank, Ajantis.

With my planned party now forming nicely, it's a quick trip to Joia's to hand over her ring for some tasty repuation, into the Inn to sell off the crap i'm hauling, and then back onto the open road. We head south, toward Beregost. More to come soon!

2. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    Nice start. I wouldn't use the term "WOEFULLY inept" after looking at the stats. ;)
    That reminds me I haven't completed my (doomed) run through the BG series...

Say Cap, do you intend to post screenshots?

3. Cap'n CJ

Cap'n CJ Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    Err, I wasn't going to, but I suppose I could :) Next time i'm playing i'll grab a couple.

4. Ironhawk Skylord

Ironhawk Skylord If a tree kills alone in the forest, does it make

Please do.

And keep reporting. You have a knack for writing.

Very entertaining. :)

5. Cap'n CJ

Cap'n CJ Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    Unfortunately I started playing and totally forgot to take any screenshots. Maybe next time, if I remember :)

Anyway, the saga continues...

With the charismatic stallion Ajantis leading the party, we head south from the Friendly Arm Inn. At least, we try. Not far along the path, a group of Xvarts charge the party, and presumably regret the decision fairly quickly. As we sift through the loot, we're charged by a Dire Wolf! I really wasn't expecting it, so there was a bit of a scramble to get everyone ready to fight. Ajantis was heavily wounded in the fight, but some teamwork and a bit of luck left it dead.

After this a couple of party members are carrying wounds, so I decide to rest. Unfortunately, the smell of spilt blood attracts a pair of (thankfully normal) wolves to the area, and we have no choice but to chop them down. Second attempt to rest goes much better, and we all feel refreshed.

Against better judgement, we continue to the East, through the trees. Anyone else smell that? No? Meh, maybe it's ju-OMIGAWD AN OGRE!

The party panic, Kray and Jaheira fire off their spells, Sleep and Entangle respectively. Entangle fails, but sleep lands! However, it's a little too late for Khalid, who meets a messy end at the hands of our Ogre. Happily, I stab him to death before he can wake up and brain anyone else. Jaheira is clearly upset, but there's nothing I can do for the poor wuss, so we're forced to move on, though not before grabbing a pair of belts off the Ogre's corpse. I'll identify them when I can next rest safely.

We decide that one death is enough for what is essentially a jaunt in the countryside, so we get back on the path and head South, toward Beregost. Happily enough, we manage to get there without incident... Almost.

A pair of bandits attack us out of nowhere, but we kill 'em. How could we not? I just wish I had something waterproof to store the scalps in. Yuck.

We arrive at Beregost in the middle of the night, and don't even stop to rest. Jaheira keeps dropping subtle hints that we should get to Nashkel, so we head straight through.

We're all a little tired, particularly Ajantis, who's been on the front line absorbing blows, so imagine how cheerful he is when a pair of Ogrillons show up! More general screaming and panic ensues, and the name "supercrew" starts to look very generous. Somehow the party make it through, and we grab all the loot that's left after the carnage. Given that we can't do anything for the poor Halfling laying on the path, we move on once again.

The party are about to exit the area, when a Flaming Fist guard approaches the party. Unfortunately, Kray was never very diplomatic, and the resulting scuffle ends with us relieving him of his life, and his delicious suit of Full Plate, in that order. In our defense, the guy was spoiling for a fight.

The next area is mainly uneventful, we have to chop our way through a camp of Hobgoblins, but blood and death is becoming fairly commonplace for our intrepid bunch, so we gather up all the crap we can and move on tooooo....

Nashkel! I'll update more at some point, possibly later tonight :)

6. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Awesome :lol:

This is making me want to grab my IC journal entries through the whole series and compile them and upload them to a blog or something :D

Maybe a project when I get my BG series installed on this here new laptop, possibly with easytutu to give that a decent shot :)

7. Cap'n CJ

Cap'n CJ Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    Just a short update this time:

I'd like to say we strolled into Nashkel like a group of suave, sophisticated businesspeople. The kind of people that take powernaps, and "digest figures" while on the plane. Unfortnately, this really wasn't the case.

We stumbled into town with all the grace and finesse of a drunk whale. The group was fairly beaten, and pretty much out of spells, so we headed for the inn to get some safe, comfortable rest. Big mistake.

Another stranger asking about Kray.. This can't be good. Wait, she's a cleric, she MUST be friendly... Oh, she isn't. Bugger.

The fight was a bit of a scary one, with Ajantis and Jaheira both having to quaff healing potions to avoid getting killed. Thankfully, Imoen was able to disrupt her spellcasting enough that before anything majorly bad happened, she dropped. With that, it's time to rest up, recover spells, and get ready to face the world again.

40gp(!) in room bills later, we stumble out into the rain and to the local shop to unload all the crap we've acumulated. At this point I notice Jaheira has levelled up! She now has 20hp and another level 1 spell slot, which should come in handy.

As we wander through the town, we're approached by the mayor, who asks us to go clear out the mines. Jaheira has been looking forward to this, so we agree to help. maybe Jaheira will silence her babbling now.

A little further along the path, Kray is mistaken for a bounty hunter! Can you imagine something so silly? He doesn't even have a cape. He's all set to take the 200gp reward, when Ajantis chimes in with a very helpful "You've got the wrong man." Cheers, Ajantis. That's coming out of your salary. Still, the rep point is a nice touch.

Nashkel is quite an eventful town, as we next bump into the slightly unhinged Minsc. His damsel-in-distress story is a little unoriginal, but I can't resist this great idiot, so I bring him along.

With the party now five-strong, it's time to make haste for the Gnoll stronghold and rescue the fair maiden Dynaheir. Will we manage it? Or will our bones become ornaments and toothpicks? Tune in next, uh... time... to find out!

Edit: Okay, so it turned out not to be that short. Also, I forgot the screenshots again! Dammit!

8. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] fail :shake:

You've actually got quite a good writing style as well :)

REALLY need to install the BG series on here...

9. Caradhras

Media:
    That will happen a LOT in the countryside. Keep posting mate! :)

10. Cap'n CJ

Cap'n CJ Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    Well well, it's been an eventful jaunt around as of late.

Thanks mainly to Minsc, we're heading for the Gnoll Stronghold. Some of us are scared, others have suffered serious brain damage, and thus are incapable of fear. We head south out of Nashkel, and then west toward the stronghold.

After a journey of almost 50 hours, there are complaints surfacing about maximum working hour regulations, so we take a rest. At least, we try, but given how close we are to the stronghold, it isn't easy. We finally get a decent amount of sleep after being woken a grand total of four times. The surrounding area is littered with corpses, it's like sleeping in a John Woo film.

Now well rested, and with our bags significantly more full of cash than before, we continue westward. Suddenly, from between the trees, a beautiful lady appears! Kray steps forward, only to be completely ignored as she steps to Ajantis. That's what 10 Charisma gets you.

Her tree is being attacked!? By idiots!? And we have to help!? We're about to decline, but the combined power of Ajantis' goodness and jaheira's tree-hugging nature mean we can't. With that, we follow her to her tree, where we find two dim-witted thugs. They introduce themselves as Caldo and Krumm, and share with us a piece of wisdom that could only have come from the mouth of a total idiot. Gold in a tree. Who keeps gold in a tree?

The poor Dryad is clearly distressed, so we stand between the thugs and the tree. Unfortunately they don't take to well to this, and they ATTACK!

The fight only lasts a couple of seconds, and you kind of get the feeling they regret charging the bunch of us. 5 against 2, it was never gonna go well. The bloody Dryad could have jumped in though.

With her thanks, and another rep point, we continue on to the stronghold. In the distance we can see it, no signs of movement though. We approach closer, and come to a bridge. Ajantis leads the way, which is handy, as his diplomacy is required yet again. A pair of Ogrillons accost us, and ask us for a small sum to help maintain the bridge we walk on. Given Kray's incredibly violent tendencies, and the fact that these aren't the first Ogrillon's we're come across, this probably wasn't a great move.

The usual spells go off, and arrows fly along the bridge. Minsc is obviously excited about being near Dynaheir, as he charges forward and cuts the beasts down almost single-handedly. More loot for the pile, and some sexy Dexterity gloves for Minsc. He needed them, he could barely disarm a bomb the way he was.

As we move on into the stronghold, things get tricky. The sheer number of Gnolls we're bumping into is a bit of a problem, but we persevere.

We fight long and hard, whole throwing many sleep spells around and generally kicking ass. We find Dynaheir, but.. unfortunately we're too late. There's nothing we can do for her. Minsc flies into a blinding rage, and storms about the compound, slaying any gnoll he sees. After a couple of minutes the dust settles, and blood flows freely. Jaheira offers up a quick prayer for the lost mage, and we leave. The walk to Nashkel seems much longer this time.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2015
  11. Caradhras

Media:
    Cool screenshots. Kray looks a lot like Eldoth, let's hope he'll be able to put his lute to a better use.

These comments made my day (er night) anyway keep the updates coming! :D

12. Ironhawk Skylord

Yes please do.

Looking forward to read further. :)

13. Cap'n CJ

Cap'n CJ Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    I went to fire up the game to keep playing today, only for it to blurt out an error message and a crash. A relaunch gives the same result. Looks like my game is well and truly boned. I wouldn't mind so much, but i've installed it about 6 times in the past two days, and i'm not sure I can stand going through all the discswapping **** again. If there's not an update by saturday, consider this project dead.

14. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    What error message was it?

15. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I remember there being a cache directory that you could empty out to solve some crash issues.

16. Ironhawk Skylord

No, that's BG II.

BG I has a temp and a tempsave folder. Clearing those can solve some crashes.

BG II also have those folders by the way.

Another thing is to disable Antiviruses Autoprotect feature if you have that. That can also solve some crashes.

17. Cap'n CJ

Cap'n CJ Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    It was an Assertion fail or something, something to do with UI Control Buttons.

18. Caradhras

Media:
    [​IMG] Man that is really bad! Do you have alternate saves? I had to start over BG2 twice in the run through the BG series that I posted because of my save getting corrupted the first time and my computer dying on me the second.
    I was so thrilled by your game that I actually thought I'd try and get back to the BG series and complete it.
    I feel for you Cap, I know how bad it is to lose a save when you invest time in a game and start sharing it thus making it a fun experience both for you and fellow SPers...

19. Cap'n CJ

Cap'n CJ Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    It's odd, when you're writing about your game as you go, it becomes more about the readers than yourself. It's kinda cool to know people are reading about your misadventures... Which is why they SHALL continue!
    Another reinstall, move the saves back, and for now at least, Kray's supercrew are back in business!

And now, the saga continues...

We're all pretty moody after the showdown at the stronghold, so we spend a bit of time moping around in Nashkel, drinking and listening to the ramblings of a travelling minstrel. After a couple of days, Imoen insists we go to the carnival, as it's in town. Evem Ajantis agrees, you'd have thought such frivolity was below him. Maybe he has a thing for Immy, it'd certainly explain why he's so quick with the Lay on Hands for her. The sly dog.

The carnival is pretty much what we expect. Performers and their sightly unsafe tricks, loads of tents that we're all too scared to explore, and a brilliantly lifelike statue of a girl...

We're looking at this and wondering who on earth could carve something so perfectly lifelike, when an overly dodgy looking Halfling sidles up to us. It seems this is no statue, but a girl! She looks a little pale, but we're assured she's alive, but trapped in stone form. Minsc is all set to smash the stone up and uncover her, when Jaheira points out it's a little more complicated than that. Happily, she also travels prepared for such things. She whips a scroll out of her belt, reads an incantation off of it, and the statue starts to change..

The statue, now a much more healthy colour, introduces herself as Branwen. She's in the middle of telling us about herself when Minsc cuts her off with a sarcastic "YOU'RE WELCOME" before stalking off muttering to that bloody Hamster of his.

It seems she's a priestess, and a capable warrior. Given that she doesn't have much else going on in her life, we easily convince her that joining us is the best choice. With this, we are six! Six is a good number, so for the forseeable future the party agree to stick together. The agreement is celebrated in the traditional adventuring way - Ale and killing!

Kray's supercrew are now ready to rock.. Almost. We've been travelling for some time now, nearly 3 weeks by my count, with no proper gearing up. People are using looted weapons, arrows are running short, and we're hauling a lot of useless stuff. For the next day or so, Ajantis will be sweet-talking his way to good deals for the party as we all sort out our weapons and armour.. After that, who knows? There's plenty of evil in the Sword Coast. The mines are our first target, but i'm not too confident about our ability.

Anyway, that's all for tonight folks. I'd like to have done more, but unfortunately having to reinstall burned a bit of time.

Scythesong Immortal likes this.
  20. Caradhras

Media:
    Great! :banana:

Loved the Ajantis part by the way.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.