1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Old gaming console nostalgy -- Neo-Geo UPDATED W/IMAGES!

Discussion in 'BoM Blogs' started by Disciple of The Watch, Dec 11, 2009.

1. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

I was actually browsing the flea market back in my old town out of boredom and strange urge to play old-school games triggered by the good ol' foggy weather.

At any rate, I couldn't believe my eyes when I stumbled upon a freaking NEO-GEO! I knew I just had to buy it, and I did exactly that, along with so far two games... which are ginormous, BTW.

Magician Lord... a good ol' sidescrolling adventure/shooter game which is actually pretty fun... but it is just as frustrating. This game is quite a challenge, as a matter of fact.

Second on the chopping block... Crossed Swords. This is a weird one to explain. You play a swordsman, and fight against monsters and bosses of various kinds, but the trick is you can only attack them when they are in range, and you have to do so while avoiding their attacks. Another pretty challenging one.

Of course, I cannot not mention Fatal Fury. Classic.

Here is a shot of the console itself... but first, "Advanced" truly is a fitting title for the console, as the Neo-Geo was launched in the 16-bit era of the Super Famicom (SNES), and the Megadrive (Genesis), but on the 2D graphics and sound quality, the Neo-Geo whoops both the Super Famicom and the Megadrive. Just look at Magician Lord, the graphics are awesome!

Steep pricing -- US$600 for the console, and US$250 for each game -- ultimately caused the demise of the Neo-Geo. I know what you're saying, $250 for a game, it's nuts! Well, think about that. Due to their graphical complexity, Neo-Geo cartridges had to be bigger, and more powerful. This caused manufacturing costs to be pretty high (remember, this was in the era when cartridges were costly to produce), explaining, at least partly, the high price tag.

But, there is another way to get Neo-Geo games and avoid the steep price tags. The Neo-Geo originally was an arcade system, who could support 4 game cartridges at once. See where I am going? It's possible to find Neo-Geo arcade machines, and buy the games within the machine. Those games are fully compatible with the home console Neo-Geo, and they are much cheaper -- ranging from US$20 to US$70, though they are getting harder and harder to find because they are collector's items.

To wrap this up, the Neo-Geo was a 2D powerhouse that was light years ahead of it's time. If arcade games are your style, the Neo-Geo definitively is worth checking out, if you're a serious game collector.

[​IMG]

And just for good measure... here's a shot of Magician Lord itself:

[​IMG]

Just look at the graphics. They're by no means impressive by today, but there is NO WAY IN HELL the Super Famicom or the Megadrive could handle that kind of graphics. The screenshot does not do justice at just how good the graphics were in that era,

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2015
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.