1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

OK so who plays what where?

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by Crawl, Nov 13, 2002.

1. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Yeah, this is a little informal poll for all the people who play NWN multiplayer. I'd like to know, I guess just for my own interst, how many people here have at least given MP a shot. If you have, tell us about it. If you like MP, how do you play? How often do you play? Do you play with a group? Did you use an online player matching service or is it just a group you've know for a while. Do you play in a persistant world, and if so, what are your worlds of choice? I'd just kind of like to hear everyone chime in about NWN multiplayer and why they like/dislike it.

2. Erran Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] DMing the PW of Phlan as part of Alfa. Quite a few SP regulars play there. I like it because Alfa is serious about outlawing munchkinism, they already booted players for blatant ooc Pking and are balancing their servers to avoid Monty Haul. Seen some great roleplaying already. :)

3. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I've only played multi-player on ALFA servers and mostly on Phlan so far. I haven't played for a while lately though because I've been designing a handy little something in the toolset that I hope AORTA can use in ALFA :)

4. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] Sweet...I haven't been to Phlan in weeks!!! I just can't seem to find the time to get there. I started getting up before work to go to the gym, so I've been leaving my house at 5:15 every morning...

Since I started this new workout routine, I've been going to bed earlier...About 11pm my time. I think a lot of my playing will happen on the weekend. But always feel free to personal message me about coming online - If I'm available, I definitely will!

5. Erebus Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

I'm in the Singnet server in Singapore

6. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

All I've really done is pickup games through gamespy. From what I've done, it's pretty fun, but my computer tends to crash out too often for me to really get into it.

7. Nutrimat Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Munchkinism? Monty Haul?

8. Erran Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] An example of munchkinism: someone is roleplaying a paladin in the FR and he greets you with "Hey d00d, know where U & I kan wak some gobs 4 phat lewt?"

An example of Monty Haul: you kill a goblin and search his chest. Inside you find a Holy Avenger +5, Suit of adamantine plate, staff of the magi ... etc etc You need a removal truck to carry all the gear. If you think Monty Haul sounds kewl, you are probably a munchkin.

Sadly there are players and servers like that out there.

9. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I've tried finding proper RP groups, but either the mods suck, the times when I can play relative to others sucks, or then the players suck. So I've pretty much given up on NWN already. The potential it has is wasted because of the obvious reason I was afraid of before it even came out (though I remained hopeful long after that still): IRL PnP rpg:ers (those I know of, I mean) don't usually have pc:s and conns suited for NWN.

10. DragonRider SkyWard Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

I played MP last weekend(finaly) :roll:

I really liked it and I want to do it again...if only my server could stay connected long enough(AOL). But I think that I am going to try again this weekend.

*Note to self: Work on module...

11. fyernine Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Funny, that I should find this post, I was just coming here to ask roughly the same question.

I only got NWN last week and tried Multiplaying for the first time yesterday. I have to agree with guy who talked about GameSpy games, not only did the servers keep crashing out but the games I entered were fatly disappointing. Right now I'm putting it down to my inexperience with the 3rd edition D+D rules (I'm an old time hack and slasher who retired from the fray when he grew whiskers but rediscovered rpging recently with Baldurs Gate 1+2) and unfamiliarity with the interface. But the two games I entered were a might confusing to say the least. More like motorway cafes than a dungeon. A lot of heavy half orc types teleporting into the healer then runnning off to the merchandising outlet.

I'm going to give it another go today. But if anyone has any good tips for game servers then please let me know - how do I get to that server mentioned at the top of the thread?

12. Crawl Gems: 23/31

The alfa servers, or A Land Far Away, are found at this link here.

www.alandfaraway.net

They are, however, a private password protected group of servers, so you'll have to be a member of their group to play on them. I have my own opinion on their membership policy, which I won't get into, but suffice to say it's rather strict with pretty subjective entrance questions in my opinion. But if you're interested, give it a try. You might well be chosen. As for public servers, Exaria and Narfell I beleive are pretty good roleplay servers. The best tips I can give are, if you're looking for a world to play and devote quite a bit of time too, check them out as thoroughly as you can first. If they have a website, I'd go there and read up on them. See if they have any rules governing gameplay(do NOT join a sever that doesn't have any rules governing how players act/play while on; this can lead to bad experiences). If they have a forum, ask how this server is from an rp prespective, if people abuse the shout channel for conversations, if pking is a problem(i.e. chaotic evils "roleplaying" their character by killing everything in sight), if the world is high powered/low powered, etc. There are established public servers out there that have a quality player base and are quite fun to play on. Good luck to ye.

Extra tidbit: if you're interested in a peaceful rping or even action experience, stay away from Dark Sun Online and Neversummer. You'll thank me.

[ November 24, 2002, 23:43: Message edited by: Crawl ]

13. fyernine Gems: 4/31

Cool, thanks a lot. I'll look them up this weekend.
    Maybe it seems like a dumb question but are these servers accessible through gamespy?
    I've only got as far as clicking multiplayer and being taken straight to the gamepsy web page. I wouldn't have the faintest about getting from the game to a server that wasn't listed on gamespy. Any tips on that would be gratefully accepted.
    My main priority has been getting joined to a server that doesn't crash out. I spent a few hours in Dor Maeglin, which wsa kind of cool until the euphoria of continual play without needing to reconnect wore off.
    Then it just became alot of hack and slash and free respawns.

14. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Notice the "Direct Connect" button below the list of servers the next time you play multiplayer. With that you can directly connect to a server you know the address for.

15. Crawl Gems: 23/31

Something eles important to look for then is a server that automatically resets every so often. For most every server I've been on, lag will get progressively worse until a server crashes. The way around this is to reset the server every so often. You should find a server that automatically resets once ever few hours, and find one that will automatically restart if it does crash. Make sure the server saves often enough too. Crashes can be quite frustrating if the server hasn't saved for a while when it goes down.

Most servers I assume will be listed on gamespy. However, I don't know this for sure. I know the ones I mentioned are listed on Gamespy under the PW Story section. Of course, while you will want to play on an established server likely, don't feel intimidated to try out new servers that aren't exactly completely finished yet. I've seen lots with potential. Also, the Three Towns server and Soul Forge have alot of traffic. Never played three towns, but Soul Forge is quite fun, though not finished by any means.

16. fyernine Gems: 4/31

Narfell was a great tip, thanks. My only problem now seems to be length of time loading up. I sign up with a party but by the time I get into the dungeon, or the room, the monsters have been cleaned up. I play from work, which is an internet company and they've got a pretty fast connection (don't ask me how fast - I'm not one of the tech heads), so I don't think that's the problem. The tech was saying he reckoned the slowness was due to the ping number. Some of you out there might know why. From whwere play, most of the servers have pings over 300. He reckoned I needed a ping under 100. I'm based in central Europe - Czech. Are the high pings connected to the distance of the servers in the USA? If so, anybody have any good tips for European servers? Or web pages where I might find good tips?

17. Crawl Gems: 23/31

No tips, but I will say this. You've got better ping times than I have ;) Are you saying it takes an exceptionally long time for areas to load for you but not for the other players you're grouping with? Hmmm...never ran into this before. My ping times are usually worse, and I've never even seen one under 100, but I haven't had this problem. Narfell could be running very large map areas however. The bigger the map, the longer it takes to load. And at times for me, it takes a very long time to load up a huge map. (Note to designers...huge maps are not PW freindly).

18. fyernine Gems: 4/31

I've just consulted another techie and he reckons it's probably the internet connection, apparently we only have 100 bits per second in the office - and that (apparently) is pretty slow. Oh well, looks like I'm going to be playing solo games for the foreseeable future. Shame, Narfell looks really good. Multiplayer really takes D+D to another dimension.

19. Judge Matt Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] im a complete newbie yo NWN but im really imterested in trying out a RP server, probably in a persistant world. my question is whether i should jump directly into a RP server or should i mess around someplace else first? are these persistant worlds easy to get into right away and how much experience is required with the game to fit in well? any advice on this would help alot.
    -matt

20. The Lawful Xaositect Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I only play in the inns. I'm not into adventure and to tell the truth the only reason I bought the game was to be able to participate in the RP inns available.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.