1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Ok, I need advice

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Brightblade, Mar 31, 2002.

1. Brightblade Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

I found out today that all the mods and patches i have have throughly ruined BG2. so im going to start this over minus the mods and im wondering what class should i be. I want to do something new and ive done the normal sorcerer, fighter/mage, mage, T/M, T/F, etc. I plan on not cheating at ALL ( a first for me, ive always done SOMETHING) and i plan on doing every quest. any afvice will be welcome

2. C'Jakob Guest

Play a more challenging class, like a Diviner, Avenger, or a Blade. Or, if you really want to go off the deep end, the Wizard Slayer and the Beastmaster are always available. :)

3. Creslyn Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

[​IMG] One thing you havent mentioned is clerics, so why not try a Priest of Lathander, or any of the others? Different style to play, and some nice abilities to match it.

4. Brightblade Gems: 4/31

cryslyn, you hit it right on the nose, i just started a DC fighter/cleric. wonderful class.... as for wizard slayer, i once did something very stupid and made a wizard slayer/mage..completly useless

5. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    How about a solid melee fighter like a kensai, barbarian or a cavalier (all three excellent in their own way) or indeed a priest of Lathander (fine chars too). Archers are great as well. I also found the avenger druid pretty interersting though I never really stated it, recently I preferred priests for some reason.

6. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    And once again, I come with the half elven MC Ranger/Cleric...Okay, you can only use blunt weapons, but you can cast both cleric and druid spells. There are quite a lot of Undeads in BG2, so you might get the Mace of Disruption and someone who can wield Daystar.
    I suggest your alignment is Chaotic Neutral, since Madmans and Lunetics are fun to play. :D

7. Z-Layrex Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

[​IMG] Possibly Paladin maybe?...

8. spetznaz Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Kensai... totaly... otherwise;
    Necromancer (Abi-Dalzim, hello?)
    Blade, goddamn good class! Espacially with Katana.
    Priest of Lathander is the best cleric I belive. VERY powerful clerics, and if you dual-class to either Ranger or Fighter you'll get the Boon of Lathander with a fighter(!) wich rocks :lol:

9. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] I'll give my vote for the cavalier! Capable fighter, resistant to fear, bonuses to hit demons and dragons - plus all normal paladin abilities.

The only restriction is no missile weapons. And personally, if you're using missile weapons as any of the paladin classes, you should be ashamed of yourself!!!:toofar: No self respecting paladin would give battle unless they were up close and personal.:nono: Let the mages and rogues fire from a distance!

10. Faerus Stoneslammer Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Whatever kind of character you wanna be depends on what kinda fighting you prefer;
    hand-to-hand: Cavalier or Barbarian
    distance: Ranger or Thief
    magic: Sorcerer or Conjuror
    pansy healing every 5 seconds: cleric [ranger/clerics are way too easy]

11. zaknafein Guest

the kensai definately. it worked for me anyway

12. yappie! Guest

One Day, when the world is perfect, and NWN is released, i'll make the Kensai/Blade!
    :evil::evil::evil:

Until then, go with the Blade, preferable Elven (a little cheating maybe?) for 19 dex.
    Then you will rule the world.

13. Mr. Furious Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I think the monk is one of the best classes myself, although most people don't like playing as the monk.

14. void Guest

How about something that no one has tried before, but is still viable (not an avenger/fighter or whatever). I've got a few suggestions; beserker or kensai / druid or cleric (dual class) or maybe a priest of talos / fighter (storm shield would be very nice here). I wish they had used 3E multiclassing in BG2, it opens up so many amazing possibilities (I cant wait for IWD2 and NWN). I hope this is useful,

Cheers, Void

[This message has been edited by void (edited April 21, 2002).]

15. Izaad Guest

I have to agree with Mr. Furious, the monk is a rockin' class, and if you dual class to a mage, you get mage spells, awesome close combat damage, self-healing and speed/ac bonuses(is that right?)

A mob forming behind Izaad chants:
    GO WITH MONK GO WITH MONK
    In my best Monty Python british accent:
    Oh please

16. Buddas Hand Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I agree with Izzad. Monks rock exspecially with some ac bonus items and a good sword, you are looking at a very powerful character.
    Or if you want a very tough character, a dwarf or half-orc bezerker.

17. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Monks rock because Bioware never fixed bugexploits in the game.

Monks are forbidden from swords and any weapon unless those are useable by thieves - but large amount of weaponry is left useable by monk. Also monks shouldn't be able to wear ANY armor, which is also not applied to many armors.

Just an example for all this are all drow items.

And yes, I've already included destruction of those exploits in SPfixpack. Not only to monks of course.

18. Israfel Gems: 4/31

You can't say that Monks are overpowered because the programmers forgot some limitations. Every player knows of them when he creates his character, so if he exploits bugs he's totally unlawful.

19. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    It isn't being unlawful though, they are taking advantage of there NOT being the rules, like mages can wear Drow and elven mail because it is light, same with the monkeys

20. Gonzago Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Unlawful? Unlawful? Let's get a little perspective here. Stealing hubcaps is unlawful. Running out of a restaurant without paying is unlawful. Exploiting a flaw in a computer game that one plays in the privacy of one's own home (between consenting adults, of course..) may be silly, or boring, or whatever, but it hardly qualifies as unlawful.

Geez, you make these people sound like pedophiles, for cryin' out loud. :rolleyes:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.