1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

OK, how about this one...Sorcerers and Charisma?

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by diagnull, Sep 20, 2007.

1. diagnull Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

If a Sorcerers' magic is an "inborn talent" that comes from "an instinctive affinty" with magic...why does it use Charisma?

Why not Constitution?

I understand a bard's magic coming from Charisma, but I don't get it with Sorcerers...

-D

2. Ilmater's Suffering Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Charisma represents one's personal power (supposedly) in the case of sorcerers, spell-like abilities or special abilities which involve overcoming the wills of others. At least that's what the MM tries to get at...

What I end up taking away from it is that innate magic relies the force of personality of the character to control such magics. Maybe confidence plays a role as well. D+D doesn't have a "natural affinity" stat so I guess Charisma is most appropriate for someone whose power relies on mental functions, but clearly isn't through learning, piety or a connection with the natural world.

Constitution doesn't work because constitution pertains strictly to physical functions like one's immune system or producing poison.

3. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I would have thought inteligence would be the best stat for it. You have to understand how magic works after all. A sorcerer is basically sitting there, trying out new things. Figuring out how magic works. To me that is inteligence.

4. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Well, the way I understand it, magic is already in a sorcerer's blood, and through force of will - ego, if you want - s/he makes it happen. S/he doesn't need to understand it, just to be able to do it (though, of course, most will try to understand what the hell they're doing).

The problem is, whenever willpower is involved, you can't help but think "wasn't that supposed to be wisdom?"

5. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

Well, that's the thing. Sorcerers *don't* have to figure anything out, they don't have to understand how it works. It comes as naturally to them as throwing a ball does, and you don't have to understand physics to do that, do you?

EDIT: Bah, simu-post.

6. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

The impression I got was that the "magic" is inherent to their personality, and that is measured by Charisma.

7. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    It really should be "willpower", which should be neither Charisma nor Wisdom. But because of the way D&D works, and because 3E doesn't change the six basic stats, it had to be one of the already-existing stats. I suppose WotC picked Charisma because it's (let's face it) the least important stat. With Sorcerer magic relying so heavily on it, it does become a much more important stat.

I thought Arcanum's stat system made much more sense than D&D's, because it can distinguish between wisdom and willpower, charisma and beauty, and so on. Much more flexible system, and the way the various skills are linked to stats is much more natural. But I understand why WotC wanted to keep things simple and not completely overhaul the stat system.

8. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

Now that you mention it, Skills and Powers (2nd ED) did differentiate each stat into 2 sides, like beauty and personality for Charisma, or Will power and Enlightenment for Wisdom.

Could such a thing work for 3rd, 3.5 or 4th?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.