1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Oh No! Look Who's Naked In the Airport ...

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Kitrax, Jun 27, 2003.

1. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    It's you! Have you guys heard of this new X-ray scanner that can actually see straight through your clothes so airport security can see just who you really are if you get my drift... Here are some quotes from the AP:

"The Transportation Security Administration is testing a new type of X-ray scanner that virtually strips away your clothing so the security screeners can determine at a glance if you're carrying a concealed weapon, reports The Associated Press. There's just one glitch. The view the screener gets is rather revealing, shall we say."

"The problem is that this machine works too well. To demonstrate that, the very brave Susan Hallowell, director of the TSA security laboratory, threw her modesty out the window and stepped into the special X-ray booth so the world could see the results. "It does basically make you look fat and naked, but you see all this stuff," Hallowell admitted to AP. The "stuff" is the fake bomb and gun she was carrying under her clothing. The TSA wants to modify the machines so there is an electronic fig leaf that would make sensitive body parts fuzzy or even distort the image of the body so it's not quite so graphic. Randal Null, the agency's chief technology officer, told AP another option would be to restrict the screener to a booth so no passing peepers can see the image."

"Pilot programs will be launched at several airports this year. The machine has already been tested with volunteers at Orlando International Airport, but the results were mixed. Some were uncomfortable with the technology, but other travelers said it was far nicer than having a screener pat them down. At least one person thinks we, the public, won't like this one bit. "The public is willing to accept a certain amount of scrutiny at the airport, but there are clearly limits to the degree of invasion that is acceptable," David Sobel, general counsel for the Electronic Privacy Information Center in Washington, told AP. "It's hard to understand why something this invasive is necessary."

So how do you feel about this? Personally, I couldn't care less. If some lonely security guard wants to drool over the computer screen while I'm being scanned, then good for her! My body is my temple, and just like the temples of my religion, I don't mind showing it off!

I don't see why some people are making such a big fuss over this...it's not like airport security is going to print "you" up and post it all over the terminals. Anyways, post away! :rolling:

2. Slith

Slith Look at me! I have Blue Hands! Veteran

This doesn't really concern me at all, I don't care what they do as long as it's not a cavity search :eek:

I would like to plead the fifth, Kitrax.

[ June 27, 2003, 06:47: Message edited by: Slith ]

3. Kitrax

Media:
    Slith, is that where you hide your pot? :rolling:

4. SoCo Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Hey! No illegal drugs in this furom, hand it over right now!

Kitrax, I don't think that will pass though, to much privacy invasion.

5. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Seeing as they already pat you down thrice when you are going somewhere I welcome this. I prefer to walk through a scanner than to stop and get padded down. Quicker and easier, I dont think we should let out modesty be too bothered. If we feel prudish there could always be one scanner for men and one for women.

6. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Don't really care. If it will stop people smugling drugs; hijacking airoplanes etc I really couldn't care. Anyway I'd have died of old age by the time New Zealand gets this, so I have nothing to worry about any way, (at least not till I travel overseas).

7. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    I'm a man, I don't care. But to say that I would get mad if they made a woman travelling with me undergo such scanning is a masterpiece of euphemism.... I suppose I would feal an uncotrollable urge to tear flesh or something similar.

Well, if they make separate booths for separate sexes it'll still be better than personal control. However, much of illegal stuff is stored in the intimate parts they're going to distort in the outcome picture. Maybe they should make it silhouette only or something close to what you get when modelling 3D characters for rendering.

8. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    I agree with Joacqin - electronic eyes are preferable to flesh-and-blood hands. Besides, women have a very easy way around this: pretend to be pregnant!

9. Sprite Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I am not too comfortable with this. The last two times I crossed the US border (and I do mean LAST) I was interrogated long after my plane had been scheduled to leave by bored airport guards - important, terrorism-related questions like, "So are you a natural blonde?" and, "Do you have any boyfriends?" These *******s are already drunk on power - do we REALLY need to make them feel any more like they have a right to see female passengers naked? If they are going to institute this, I think they need to start screening their employees much, much more carefully and be prepared for some sexual harrassment suits.

10. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

*Runs off to apply for a job at the airport* :D

11. Subra Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Veteran

Avoid this whole problem...fly nekkid!!

12. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    SNNIFFFF. Haaahh! :p

Tip for all: Next time you take your weapons with you, make sure you got a bunch of pretty ladies with you. No cams on you...

13. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Ever heard of gay airfield employees ? :D

14. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] This is so easy to fix. All they would have to do is put the monitor in a different room. The major concern is people standing there and checking out the naked people.

I personally think it would be a great idea. I'm tired of all the pat downs (which I'm not convinced do anything).

15. Eze Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Ok, if this is true, it sucks. I have no wish to show my PRIVATE body parts to any bloody security guy, got that?

That's why they're called private, duh.

16. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Lol, just another destination blanked out of my list. I wonder how low tourist-numbers can go.

17. teekc Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

i see business opporturnity.

Welcome to my new website at www.airport_see_through_camera.com where i sumggle all those video tapes and put them there.

Can i advertise in Boards O'Magick?

18. Kitrax

Media:
    I have a perfect idea on how to solve the privacy thing. First, put the moniters in a seprate room. Second, have the people watching the screens over the age of 90. That way there is no way of "turning them on" so to speak. Plus, just think of how funny it would be if a 95 year old guy was trying to hit on you...if you didn't like it, all you have to do is walk away at a normal pace and he'll nave catch you! :p :rolleyes: :rolling:

19. Late-Night Thinker Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

I can just hear the security guy now...

"Sir, would you please remove the bazooka from between your legs..."

Guess I'll have to take a cold shower before I fly.

20. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Pat down searches? They actully do them?
    I thought they were just done by the police and the likes of them?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.