1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Odd problem with spell animations

Discussion in 'Planescape: Torment (Classic)' started by Metallikar, Jul 1, 2004.

1. Metallikar Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

When casting spells, for some odd reason the spell animations will stretch and distort to fill the screen horizontally. I've deleted and tried again from a fresh install and get the same thing.

EDIT (Bah, didn't check the post below about the same issue. Gonna try an older driver)

EDIT 2 (Nope, rolling back to older drivers does nothing. I've rolled back several editions. I don't wan't to roll back too far because I still play a lot of newer games and don't want to affect them)

Using a GeForce FX 5900 XT
    19 inch monitor
    1 Gig ram

[ July 01, 2004, 02:04: Message edited by: Metallikar ]

2. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

Are you using one of those wierd widescreen monitors?

3. Metallikar Gems: 1/31

4. Lawnboy Gems: 1/31

I've had the same problem...

first in Grim Fandango; the backgrounds are 2d so things like elevators are animated; they were stretched across the screen. I fixed it, but I don't remember how.

I then played PT and it was fine.

Not long ago, I reinstalled PT and now I have this problem again.

In any case, it probably wouldn't hurt to make sure you have the latest version of DirectX...

5. Metallikar Gems: 1/31

That I do. I always get the latest release of DX.

6. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

You are running it in 640x480 resolution, right?

7. Ismaul Gems: 1/31

Are you using WinXP?
    You might try running it in compatibility mode just in case it might change something.
    You might also try playing with the video settings in Torment. There is 3 options you can play with if your video card has some difficulty. Don't know if there is a way to turn off hardware acceleration to make sure you're card is/is not the culprit, so you'll have to try with only those 3 options.

Edit A bit off topic but anyways, in windowed mode, you sure can play at higher resolutions, but the window keeps getting smaller. Is there a way around this? (other than play in fullscreen mode, by the way ;) )

[ July 04, 2004, 06:57: Message edited by: Ismaul ]

8. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
  9. Simian Gems: 1/31

I had the same problem then I installed the 61.80 beta drivers and it fixed it.

10. Metallikar Gems: 1/31

You know, I've heard people talk about running Planescape in windowed mode countless times... but I never see anyone mention how. It's like this big secret, and everyone keeps ommitting the vital piece of information that I need just to tease me.

EDIT: Ah, found the option in the ini file. Tried it out, but it doesn't do anything to solve my problem, unfortunately.

[ July 18, 2004, 07:09: Message edited by: Metallikar ]

11. vesselle Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

you might want to try running the game with your desktop and display property settings at 16 bit.

when i started the game up the other day, first time running it on XP Pro, i got a msg that said if i didn't change the setting to 16 bit, i could expect to have problems with cutscenes, movies and spell animations.

V***V

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.