1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

[OC] Silverback won't surrender [SPOILERS]

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by pooiyx, Jul 9, 2015.

1. pooiyx Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Veteran

My ranger used Animal Empathy on Silverback the moment I saw her. I noticed that Silverback won't surrender after I do that. She just fights till the death. Unfortunately, I don't have a saved game that's anywhere near before I encounter Silverback.

Is there any way to fix this problem?
    Any console command I can use to fix Silverback's state?
    Will spawning a new copy of Silverback help? What is the creature code for Silverback?

Thanks.

2. damedog Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Resourceful Veteran

It's been a good many years since I ever popped in the NWN OC, but I seem to recall that you should be able to use Animal Empathy on any creature type it applies to, even if they have quests or behave like NPC's. Are you sure you didn't just fail your roll?

3. pooiyx Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Veteran

I used Animal Empathy on Silverback just to see what would happen. Nothing happened regarding progressing the quest.
    Then I released her from the spell so that I could attack her to complete the quest. But she doesn't surrender and talk when Near Death anymore. She just continues to be hostile and attack till she dies.

4. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    I've found that happens a lot with status effects and enemies with near death scripts. Sometimes even death scripts.

Even the assassin's Death Attack has been known to screw up scripts, as happened to me the last time I played in the prison district with the guy you fight right before the Intellect Devourer.

Anything that makes them helpless can trigger this bug such as a priest's Hold Person, an assassin's Death Attack, and apparently charming them does this too. I'm not sure if fear does it too like it broke scripted attacks in the infinity engine games (especially Baldur's Gate II. Spook was darn useful for use on enemies like Firkragg who had things set to happen when he got low on HP, but not as useful as Feeblemind. So was using an anti-magic scroll on them as it negated their free uninterruptible just in time spells).

The only thing I can say is to avoid using those useful disablers on such foes and instead use things that only slightly hinder them but don't actually prevent them from taking actions. Spells like Slow, Curse, Doom, Ray of Enfeeblement, etc.
    I'm not sure if Silence (may prevent them from speaking) or blindness (may prevent them from perceiving you and speaking you) would break it, but I wouldn't risk it.

Death Attack is harder to prevent, but you'll have to avoid the advantages that trigger it.
    Yes, it makes these boss fights even harder. It's an undocumented feature to make the boss fights more challenging.

---------- Added 22 hours, 57 minutes and 16 seconds later... ----------

I should rephrase that. Anything that can prevent the NPC from taking actions can trigger this bug.
    Things that just give penalties probably will not, although I'm unsure about Feeblemind, but things that paralyze, stun, sleep, silence (untested), or blind (untested) may do this.
    Apparently charming disrupts the scripts too.

Also [sneak] attacking before they go hostile might screw up the script.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.