1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Obsidian Visit Tomorrow - Input Requested

Discussion in 'Pillars of Eternity' started by Marceror, Oct 19, 2012.

1. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    All, I'm confirmed to meet with Adam Brennecke tomorrow at the Obsidian offices. This was just confirmed about an hour ago.

I'm going to see if I can squeeze in a short interview with him while I'm there. So, if there are any questions you'd like me to ask him, feel free to let me know in this thread.

I'll do a final check of this thread at around 11AM PDT tomorrow, and will add any good questions that have been offerred to the list!

If I don't get any, I have several questions lined up already, so no worries. But I thought this might be another cool opportunity to make this more a community experience! :cool:

Taluntain likes this.
  2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Considering the three dozen interviews they've done in the last few weeks I doubt I can think of anything that hasn't already been asked several times, but I didn't really have the time to read most of them. But here are a few I can think of off the top of my head:

1) How far along are they with the planning process - I assume actual development hasn't truly started yet. What's next on schedule?
    2) Is there an ETA on when approximately they'll be sending out the item templates for the $1000 tier donors? How much info are we going to get alongside, since it's hard to design any item without the knowledge of the game mechanics...
    3) Where'd the Ouroboros roll off to?
    4) Given the huge success of the PE Kickstarter campaign, do they even see themselves going with the traditional publisher model again from this point onwards? If so, why?
    5) Pathfinding... the bane of Infinity Engine games. How are they going to make it (infinitely) better in PE?
    6) Are they going for a more open feel to the game (ala BG1) or more ala BG2, where you basically couldn't turn around without bumping into a quest of some sort?

Marceror likes this.
  3. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Some very good questions Tal. Thanks for the input!

4. Ineth

Ineth Instigator Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    For those who don't know, Adam Brennecke is a computer programmer at Obsidian Entertainment, where he worked on Fallout: New Vegas and is now the project director of Project Eternity.

Being a programmer, he can probably answer questions regarding technical aspects of PE better than some of the other team members.

I would ask him about:

• Modding capabilities. One of the kickstarter updates mentioned that they intend to make the game moddable, but from the way it's worded it's not clear whether that will be limited to modifying static data (such as numbers), or whether the whole game world (NPCs, quests...) will be driven by LUA scripts that can be modifed and extended by modders like it was with the Infinity Engine games.
      Of course they may not yet know what they'll manage to do within the confines of the Unity engine, but it would be interesting to hear how far they would like to go in this regard, and if there's any more info they can already share on this.
    • Pathfinding, as Taluntain already mentioned. In the Infinity Engine games, technically the actual pathfinding algorithm (for individual characters) worked well enough, but as soon as the paths of different characters blocked each other even for a split second, it led to chaos as they were instantly reassigned to alternative, longer routes.
      It would be reassuring to hear that for PE they intend to have more dynamic pathfinding that properly takes simultaneous movement of multiple characters into account.

5. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I'll be interested to know their thoughts on replay ability. Some games can be relayed multiple times with completely different outcomes, and others are pointless to replay once you know the storyline and surprises.

6. Marceror

Media:
    Hi all. I had a very enjoyable visit with Adam today. First he showed me around their office. It is a VERY nice setup. No one sits in a cubicle. It's all offices, many of which are shared by small teams. He mostly took me to the common areas (conference rooms, their kitchen/break area, a large multi-purpose room, the lounge where the final hours of the Kickstarter campaign were recorded) and the Project Eternity side of the office. The office is broken up based on different games that are being developed, so I didn't get to see, for example, the Southpark development area. I didn't get to meet too many people, as it was the lunch hour and a lot of folks were either at lunch or working remotely. Feargus was apparently at lunch.

After a short tour, Adam graciously consented to sit down and do an interview with me. I did include all of Tal's questions as he got them too me early enough to do so. The interview was very casual and really felt more like we were just hanging out and "rapping" about the game. Because of this I managed to get a lot more information than I was expecting. I even managed to get some sneak preview details about another one of the 8 companions that has not been discussed publicly before.

I recorded the interview which I will use to create a write up on the interview. With any luck, I'll be posting that later today. I said I would not share the recording, as technically I wasn't supposed to use a recording device in their office, so this will just be a personal keepsake.

I completely forgot to ask for a picture (the NDA I signed said no pictures, but I'm sure Adam would have posed for one). In fact, I nearly forgot to take my laptop case with me when I left, as I initially left it in Adam's office.

Harbourboy and Taluntain like this.
  7. Marceror

Media:
    The interview is up now.

8. Ineth

Ineth Instigator Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Darn, I thought I was also still on time when I wrote mine, but it seems I messed up with the timezone arithmetic... :o

Ah well, at least the pathfinding one was answered.

9. Marceror

Media:
    Sorry, I would have loved to have gotten more info about modding. I didn't think to ask about it. You posted your questions literally 11 minutes after I left my house (I left at 11:25 exactly). :/

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.