1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Oblivion Main Quest: Dagon Shrine

Discussion in 'The Elder Scrolls 1-4' started by Spliff Krieger, Sep 18, 2006.

1. Spliff Krieger Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Veteran

This is the part in the main quest where you travel to the Dagon Shrine to recover the Amulet. You can choose to join the order (which I didn't, not sure where it leads to either) or just kill 'm all and get the book.

Now, my problem is this: I murdered out practically the whole cave, a few followers (4) left who stand down the altar near the book, and one named npc next to the book.

Well, I can't kill 'm... I aggro the whole place when I attack one of these 5, and I sure as hell can't take 'm all on at once... I also have a saved game from a little while before that, where the followers leave the room for a short while, but I can't even take the named npc on my own...

What do I do wrong? I'm only level 4, so maybe that's a little low. But nowhere in the game you get an indication if you're level is too low for a quest... And how am I supposed to level up outside the Main Quest? I don't seem to manage to get other quests...

I am quite a skilled rpg player, but new to TES... Any advice on how to play this properly is very welcome, as goes for the original question:

Am i too low level to complete the quest in the Dagon Shrine, if no: what do i do wrong? if yes, where do i go to level up?

Thanks for replies!

2. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Everything in Oblivion scales to the level of your character so your being low in level shouldn't be a factor. I can't say that I had much problem with that fight and I didn't really use any fancy tactics. If you are having too much trouble you could temporarily turn the difficulty level down.

3. Spliff Krieger Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Veteran

Thanks JSBB, I got 'm all down... :)

I took the previous savegame where the followers went up in the hallway for a short time. Went after them, and although they stood next to each other, I managed to pull 'm 2 by 2 somehow...

Went down to get the book, sent my ancestor guardian to the guard, killed the named npc in a flash (casting shock resistance & protect works wonders here!), finished the guard, released the prisoner and took the book...

Thanks for the input!

4. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Not everything in Oblivion scales down to your level, take it from me. For instance...you don't wanna venture into Umbra's lair all the way at level 2 or something. Vampire hideouts might also be a little too much for your character to handle if he doesn't have the proper tools and level of skills.

5. Sir Fink Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

There are many quests outside of the main quest. Some you'll overhear NPCs talking about and you'll get new topics that will come up after over-hearing NPCs talk. Every town as three or four side quests. Talk to NPCs and ask about rumors.

Join a guild. Wander around the countryside and look for Daedric Shrines. These all have quests associated with them. Go to each town's castle and speak with the Duke/Duchess as many of them have a quest.

Some of these quests are level-based and will only be offered to you when you reach a certain level.

6. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

I managed to clean a den of vampires with my level 2 barbarian... only to get infected with vampirism while fighting the patriarch.

C'mon, a level 2 barbarian vampire... at least there's homeless people to feed on in the streets...

7. L Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Veteran

A vampire is certainly a lot easier to play in Oblivion than in either of the two previous games. The homeless are a good source of blood.

8. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Level-scaling sucks. Why don't you try the "multiple enemies" -mod instead? Nothing like fighting against a horde of Dagon fanatics. :xx:

9. Dark Breton Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] what i do is i steal the book and end up getting to the door to the caverns and i need a key,where do i get it??

10. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    The guy who let you into the cavern area where the altar is has the key. You either have to steal it or kill him to get it. Sorry I don't remember his name. The one you give all your belongings to if you 'join'.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.