1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Oblivion - Low level Alteration spell

Discussion in 'The Elder Scrolls 1-4' started by Dice, Oct 18, 2006.

1. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    I've only been playing Oblivion for a few days. I need to get my Alteration skill up to at least 25 so I can do one of the quests and it is only at 15. The problem is I cant seem to find a spell to buy that I can use with only a skill of 15. Most of them seem to need at least 25. Can anyone tell me where I can go to buy a very low level alteration spell that I can cast over and over to level up?

2. Stigma Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Have you tried Edgar's Discount Spells in the Imperial City Market District? If I recall correctly, you should be able to cast either Ease Burden or Protect. I think they're the weakest alteration spells available.

Or, possibly, Open Very Easy Lock from the Mystic Emporium, also in the Imperial City.

3. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I take it you have not completed the quests to become a member of the mage's guild. Once you do you can create your own spells at which point you can easily tailor make very weak spells for leveling up your magic skills.

4. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Actually the reason I need the alteration skill in the first place is to complete the initial mage guild quests. One of the leaders will only give me my recommendation of I retrieve a ring of burden from the guilds well. Even though I have a spell that would save me from drowning in that well, I can't use it because my skill is not high enough. :eek:

I'll check out those places that you suggested Stigma, hopefully I'll be able to find what I need. If not I guess I'll have to hunt and gather to make enough potions to hire a trainer. That could take a lot of time I'm thinking.

EDIT : I went to the cheap spells guy and bought a shield spell that worked fine.

[ October 19, 2006, 07:13: Message edited by: Dragonfly ]

5. Spliff Krieger Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Veteran

Actually, you don't really need an extre spell to survive in the well (when you are retrieving the ring of burden). You'll get the spell "Buoyance" which allows you to breathe underwater for 30 secs and feathers you for a few points) If you do get encumbered while taking the ring, just reload a quicksave and leave most of your equipment near the well. You can retrieve it after you completed the quest...

On a side note, you can "power-level" your way up into any magic school... I levelled Alteration while I was waiting. Just cast a defensive spell over and over till magicka bar is empty, wait 1 hour, empty your bar again... You'll level up that school in no time...

Don't do the same mistake as I did though... Alteration is a major skill for me, and by "power-levelling" it, it also raised my character level... But my other abilities stayed roughly the same, so I was too high a level for my abilities... Had to struggle against mobs for a few levels, but in the end it all levelled out again...
    But be careful! ;)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.