1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Obama wins Nobel Peace Prize

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Montresor, Oct 9, 2009.

1. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    The story just broke on MSNBC (and everywhere else).

I think it's rather hasty. There are plenty of candidates and in my opinion Obama should have served at least a couple of years as President before receiving the price, so we had seen what he would do in the long run.

Thoughts, anyone?

2. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Seriously? Seriously?

3. Shoshino

Shoshino Irritant Veteran

Media:
    yeah... I mean what has he done exactly?

4. Viking Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Lol - Just reminded me of Homer when he says "But what has he done for me lately" Talking about the cat that saved his life previously.

According to Norwegian media this morning the Nobel Committee have been finding it hard this year to find anyone to award the Peace Prize to at all, but they felt they had to give it out to someone. [Just so it's clear, they have declined some 17 times iirc in the past to actually award the Peace Prize at all. Presumably some of that was tied up with world wars, but it wouldn't be unprecedented not to award the peace prize at all].

I completely agree that it is hasty, though hopefully it will provide further encouragement in the search for peace in the Middle East in particular.

5. coineineagh

coineineagh I wish for a horde to overrun my enemies Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Very premature. But it's hard to take the nobel peace prize seriously anymore, since it's been given to Israeli and Palestinian warmongers before, as well as numerous other harsh dictators. It seems you have to have some involvement in war or injustice to be considered for the peace prize nowadays. Soon, when leaders get the nobel peace prize, it will even seem incriminating. *I* wouldn't want the peace prize; it just means I'd be involved in war;).

6. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    What a disgrace. This will make it even harder for Obama to send the troops to Afghanistan that the commanding general has requested. Is the Nobel committee meddling in international affairs now?

What next, will they award him the economics prize also?

McCain was right, we elected a rock star.

7. Déise

Déise Both happy and miserable, without the happy part!

Shamelessly stolen from posters on politics.ie. Someone else pointed out that the deadline for nominations was last February and Obama was nominated within 11 days of taking office.

This is basically the 'Not being George W Bush' award. Bonkers. I mean I like the guy but he's barely begun to be involved in world affairs, let alone achieved anything. An incredibly political decision. Granted that anything that brings home to Americans just how stupid it was to reelect Bush isn't bad but this is a bit over the top. It's sad to see an American president being lauded just because they make an effort to get along with the entire rest of the world. I mean, that's setting the bar pretty low.

8. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    I think it is too early for that. Too bad.

9. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    This is a terrible sham, but then that's about what I expect from the Nobel Peace Prize these days. I'm not as up on the others, but are the prizes for the sciences still worth getting?

10. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Let's call it the "thank-god you're not Bush" award instead. :shake:

But seriously, way too early. It's ironic, but giving it to Bush would have actually made more sense. I'm sure that he meant well! :lol:

11. Shoshino

Shoshino Irritant Veteran

Media:
    what about that t**t Tony Blair, he went to war to ensure peace and stability between the UK and the US?

12. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Perhaps you hit on it Tal. The members of the committee were so pissed at Bush and his policies that his replacement seemed like a saint -- and therefore was canonized. While I think Obama has given some stability and would certainly be eligible for the Peace Prize, I agree with Ragusa and coin that this was premature.

13. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Hey! In case you idiots forgot, Obama's the guy who held the Beer Summit. The Beer Summit! So I don't see what the issue is.

You people really need to calm down. :rolleyes:

:p

14. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    I think that's exactly it. They would have given it to McCain for the same reason if he had won. Besides, in that case all the conservatives would have had to talk nice about them for a change. This is just too much fun to pass up. Sorry guys:

Jimmy Carter
    Al Gore
    Barack Obama

Who's next for you guys? Ralph Nader? ;)

I'll have to make a point of watching FOX today...if they can even mention it without a complete breakdown.

15. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

When I saw this on the local news this morning, my 1st reaction was shock. He definitely hasn't been in office long enough for this prestigous award. Then my mind immediately turned to politics. Is this a move to steer his decision on adding more troops to Afghanistan? I don't know, but the timing is awful suspicous.

16. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Nope, Obama did something very important and dear to the heart of every red-blooded Norwegian... Here's what a friend of mine, Dr. Niklas Tessem, found:

You may wonder why Obama got the Peace Prize from the Norwegian Nobel Committee?

I think I found the answer in this Declaration which makes 9. october Leif Eriksson Day :) Thank you Obama!

THE WHITE HOUSE Click here to download PDF
    Office of the Press Secretary
    ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _
    For Immediate Release October 7, 2009
    LEIF ERIKSON DAY, 2009
    - - - - - - -
    BY THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
    A PROCLAMATION
    On this day in 1825, the ship Restauration landed in New York City after sailing for 3 months from Stavanger, Norway. The 52 passengers aboard represented the first organized emigration of Norwegians to America. These brave individuals set to the seas, following in the grand footsteps of the famous Scandinavian explorer Leif Erikson. Over a millennium ago, Leif Erikson -- son of Iceland and grandson of Norway -- arrived in North America and founded the settlement Vinland, located in modern-day Canada. Today, we celebrate his historic voyage and remember those who journeyed to America from far-away lands.
    Our Nation's founding history is marked by millions of individuals who faced great hardship and difficulty as they pursued a brighter future abroad. As explorers, they did not know what they would find, but they were determined not to turn back, in order to learn what lay beyond the setting sun. This same spirit lived within Leif Erikson, and it has inspired countless others who venture from their homes in search of opportunity, uncertain of the possibilities and challenges that await them.
    Today, our Nation continues to welcome those descendents of Leif Erickson to our shores. Nordic Americans have contributed immeasurably to the success of America. Their cultural accomplishments have enriched the diversity of our country. And their pioneering spirit continues to embody our Nation's unbounded enthusiasm for discovery and learning.
    To honor Leif Erikson and celebrate our Nordic-American heritage, the Congress, by joint resolution (Public Law 88-566) approved on September 2, 1964, has authorized the President to proclaim October 9 of each year as "Leif Erikson Day."

NOW, THEREFORE, I, BARACK OBAMA, President of the United States of America, do hereby proclaim October 9, 2009, as Leif Erikson Day, and I call upon all Americans to observe this day with appropriate ceremonies, activities, and programs to honor our country's rich Nordic-American heritage.

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand this seventh day of October, in the year of our Lord two thousand nine, and of the Independence of the United States of America the two hundred and thirty-fourth.

BARACK OBAMA

Oh, and the beer summit probably didn't hurt, either. The use of alcohol for high-level conflict mediation is definitely something every Scandinavian would approve of. Now if Obama could only get Hamas to drink alcohol...

17. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    ...except the beer summit took place after the deadline for consideration. He was nominated based on his work in the first two or so weeks in office.

18. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

And those 1st two weeks were not that promising. This awarding of the peace prize to him is baffling.

19. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

WTF? Way too early... what has he done for anyone in his presidency, let alone in the first two weeks?

20. T2Bruno

Media:
    From nobelprize.org:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.