1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

NY Times Reporter Jailed

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by Dorion Blackstar, Jul 9, 2005.

1. Dorion Blackstar Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I am suprised this has not been posted yet.It seems you cannot investigate the Bush adminastration or you will face jail time.
    www.CNN.com
    I could not figure out how to link directly to the story so you will have to search cnn sites under reporter jailed to find the story.Sorry for my meager computer skills.

2. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Here

It is not the first time a reporter has gone to jail for refusing to reveal a source and probably won't be the last.

3. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    Funny, I thought it was a judge who ordered the reporter to jail, not the Bush administration.

Edit:

The thing that really burns me about this thread is that the Bush administration is being blamed for the reporter going to jail. If people actually read what this is about, they would realize that the last thing the Bush administration may want is the reporter to give up her sources. The case is about a government official who criticized the evidence of WMD in Iraq and then his wife who was a CIA covert operative was outed by the media. Now obviously, outing a spy is a crime. Someone, and the courts are looking into it, committed this crime and should pay. If it turns out that the Bush administration leaked the wife's job as a form of retribution then they should be made to pay.

[ July 09, 2005, 18:00: Message edited by: The Great Snook ]

4. Dorion Blackstar Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I wonder who leaked the info about the cia operative?Gee it must have the liberal media that has no access to that kind of information,or maybe it was someone in the adminastriation that does.

5. khazadman Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Well her own husband listed her as an employee of the CIA in one of his bios Dorion. And the question of who leaked what is moot since she was taken out of the field about ten years ago. The CIA felt that her cover had been blown by the Russian spy Robert Hansen.

6. St. James Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

I have not been following the story closely -- it just does not make much difference to me -- but I have followed the bits about Wilson's trip to Nigeria -- which is the real story. The Washington post wrote an article on it. Story here.

Sorry if I did not do that write -- the link posting is different here.

7. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    Let's see if the White House walks the talk now that Karl Rove has been implicated.

oops!

8. khazadman Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Oooops! My mistake. It wasn't Hansen who might have leaked her identity to the Russians, it was Aldrich Ames.

9. khaavern Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Interesting argument there, khazadman. It does not matter that Rove et co splashed her name on the front page all over the place, because the spy Ames (traitor and so forth) may have revealed it already 10 ys ago to the KGB. Are we suposed to think that there is not much difference btw Rove and Ames ? :}

It is quite an interesting story. And there was a good commentary by Meyerson in the Washington Post today explaining why is relevant.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.