1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

NWN Forum Update

Discussion in 'Game/SP News & Comments' started by NewsPro, Jun 7, 2002.

1. NewsPro Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

(Originally posted by Z-Layrex)

David Gaider, Designer

What is a PatternNumber?: I'm not sure how the PatternNumber works. If I'm not mistaken, each PatternNumber corresponds to a specific string that the NPC is listening for, but I certainly could be wrong.

How does the PC talk?: By speaking, simply enough. When a player presses the Enter key, they can type what they wish to speak and it will appear over their heads. They have four 'volumes' to choose from: Talk, Shout, Party and DM. NPC's would 'hear' any text in Talk and Shout if they were in the appropriate range.

How does an NPC listen?: I believe you must tell them by having them execute the command SetIsListening or SetListening... whatever the command is called. When an NPC is actively listening and there is some text spoken within range, their OnConversation event is fired. You can then use GetLastSpeaker to determine who spoke and GetListenPatternNumber to return the PatternNumber integer if a recognizeable string was spoken (it will equal -1 if not). Or so my understanding goes. My suggestion is still to check out the script in OnConversation and how it connects to the 'combat shouts' used by the generic AI.

Bob McCabe, Designer

Maps: The auto-map can be zoomed in on, or out, and it does have pins to place notes. You do not need to scroll the auto-map, as the entire map border is shown (though the contents may not be).

Load Times: We've had some pretty drastic optimizations since the Korean videos were released. It will still depend on the system you're running, obviously, but they are much (much) shorter than they were. As for saved games, they have undergone a similar optimization. On my p3-650, I was having to wait about a minute or two for a saved game. Now, it's, in the largest-sized areas, about 5 seconds. Some areas, I hit save and I can almost see the save game screen pop up. I wondered if it didn't work, but it did.

Rob Bartel, Co Lead Designer

Thick Walls: In the City Tileset, we've designed the height transitions to look like ramparts and have used them as such in the official campaign. To enhance the look, we've also added in a City Gate group and some 1x1 Rampart Towers. To get a general sense of size and functionality, try to build earthen embankments around your village in the Rural Tileset, using height transitions. That should give you a rough indication of what you'll have to work with. Now where did I put my flaming pitch...

Subraces: There are probably a hundred different ways to do this kind of stuff, each with their +'s and -'s. The best solutions are probably going to be ones that mix-and-match a variety of different approaches. A good place to start, however, would be to check the player's Subrace field from within the scripting language. If it says "Drow" then your script could equip them with creature items that you've created (creature hides, bites, and claws -- these are equipped to hidden slots that aren't visible to the player). You can design these items to bestow some of the abilities that you feel Drow should have in your module.

Brenon Holmes, Programmer

Looking around corners: In interior areas you can hear around corners... also the "Fog of War" shouldn't be so close as to obscure any creatures you could potentially see or hear...I should probably also note that if you're quick enough it's possible to dart out and then back behind a corner without being noticed... but I wouldn't advise it in practise... as the odds of you getting spotted are... well, I suppose it depends on what's down that hallway... doesn't it?

Invisible Creatures: Just thought I'd point out that it's possible to *hear* invisible creatures... they are only invisible after all... but only within a certain range. Same as you can still see a silenced creature...

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2018
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.