1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

NPCs

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Kull, Aug 28, 2002.

1. Kull Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Will there be NPCs (like Minsc and Viconia) who can join you on the adventure in IWD II?

2. Keneth Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    I believe that has been asked like dozen times over but the answer was always "No.". I don't know why but I would gladly wait till new year if they were to make some NPCs and would thus take longer.

3. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

In the released game - no, there won't be a single joinable NPC.
    However, modding this is possible and thus will be incorporated by third parties!

Before you start with one more question... Familiars from mods will tend to be treated as normal party members so you don't have 12 party members but 6 as BIS planned to have in IWD2. Unless some joker releases a mod where your party may contain whatever number of party members you want.

4. Keneth Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    An army marching through the Dale and kicking some goblin but. That sounds nice :grin: .

5. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] You can choose one from a bunch of pre-made parties in the beginning if you want to, saving you the trouble of making one yourself.

6. Kull Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Darn, like Kenneth, I would have gladly waited awhile if they would incorporate such NPC's. The NPC chatter was hilarious at times in Baldur's Gate. I hope the great programmers will provide mods to allow similar comedy in IWD II.

7. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

However, none of those types of mods were released for the first IWD. Is it easier to do with this one?

[ August 30, 2002, 01:36: Message edited by: Rastor ]

8. Extremist Gems: 31/31

IWD2 modding will be more complicated because of new rules and other new stuff incorporated in the engine. Let modders first to familiarize with the "brushed" engine.

However, before you start with mods, wouldn't it be nice to finish the original game as it is?

9. Javalar Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

[​IMG] I always enjoyed creating my own party of characters anyway, so as to better tailor it to my playing style.

AND I found that playing 6 of my own characters through MULTIPLAYER in BGII was too cumbersome.

So, I myself don't mind the consistency with regard to NPCs between IWD and IWD II.

10. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Of course everybody finishes the game es it is before installing any mods(at least me ;) ). Even NvN :mad:

[ August 31, 2002, 12:24: Message edited by: Gothmog4230 ]

11. Rastor Gems: 30/31

Yes, Extremist, I don't intend to do any modding work with this one before actually finishing it. Of course, I still need to actually buy it.

Somebody mentioned the idea of putting NPCs into a mod. What I was asking is if the game code actually supports this.

12. Extremist Gems: 31/31

That is something noone can answer clearly yet. You see, the IWD2 script compiler is not included on CDs and there are no news about releasing it.
    But I'm 99% sure NPCs are supported no matter the lack of those.

13. Rastor Gems: 30/31

In which case, it should be a simple matter of putting a JoinParty() command into a dialogue script.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.