1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

NPC Wisdom XP Benefit?

Discussion in 'Planescape: Torment (Classic)' started by Thrasher91604, Jan 7, 2008.

1. Thrasher91604

Thrasher91604 For those who know ...

Hi all!

Playing Torment for the first time, and it's already turned into my most favorite RPG. Fantastic story and NPCs. Just amazing dialogs. Great roleplaying opportunitites.

I was wondering, do the NPCs get more XP if their Wisdom is higher, like the Nameless One?

Thanks!

2. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    I'm not sure, but I don't think they do Besides I think the only ones who's wisdom you can increase are Annah and Dak'kon, as they're the only ones who can have tattoos.

I think Grace gets extra spells from her wisdom, but since you can't increase her wisdom there's not much you can do with that.

3. Thrasher91604

There's also a wearable item that imparts a negative wisdom effect. For Annah, there's a thieve's bracelet, or some such, that decreases her already paltry wisdom for a damage reduction effect, I beleive.

Just wondering if that will make her gain levels more slowly...

4. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

Wis doesn't affect their XP gain. You should be able to test it in less than 1 minute if you want to be 100 percent sure.

5. Thrasher91604

Are you guessing, or know for sure?

It's easy enough to do a test, just was wondering...

--

Well I ran a test and now I "know"... something. ;)

Annah started with 233115 XP in both classes.

Wearing her Spider bracelet (-1 Wisdom), she had a total Wisdom of 9.

The party then defeated 3 Greater Shadows.

After that, her XPs were 233365.

Reloaded, and took off the bracelet, she had a unmodified Wisdom of 10.

Her XPs also were 233365 after defeating 3 Greater Shadows.

So no difference.

It could be that there's no XP modification because her Wisdom is score average, so the test could be considered inconclusive, but at least for my game it makes no difference with the bracelet on or off...

Most likely the Wisdom XP modifier only applies to TNO because of his lost memories.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2008
  6. Ziad

Media:
    The wisdom modifier to experience gained does not change between a wisdom of 9 and 10. Your get no penalty to gaining experience at any point, and the bonus only starts at 13 and above. I think the only way to test this would be to edit one of the NPC's wisdom with Near Infinity (or equivalent)

7. Thrasher91604

Ah, good info.

Well it's doubtful I'd ever modify an NPC's wisdom down or up from 13 or higher. Only Grace has a high enough base Wisdom score, and I haven't seen anything she could equip to raise it higher... But I haven't finished the games yet :)

So is the question probably a moot point?

CORRECTION: My bad. It looks like you could raise Dak'kon's wisdom up from his base of 13, and Annah's could be raised up to 13. Not sure if it would be worth it to increase XP gains and lose higher strength, dexterity, constitution, or AC (i.e. from tattoos) .... Thoughts?

8. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

I'd test it first before wasting too many thoughts about it.

9. Ziad

Media:
    Thought of another, much easier way to test, rather than changing anyone's wisdom: just compare the experience Grace (wis 16) gets with that of anyone else, while they're both together in the party, and look for a difference. Should be really easy to test if anyone's got a save from the mid-game.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2008
  10. Thrasher91604

Good idea! My latest saves in Ravel's maze could be used for that.

11. Grimsson Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

just had to say...
    what an outstanding rpg. In terms of plot, characters, setting, depth, immersion, pathos, storylines and all that good literary stuff it's tied only with the original Ultima series imo.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.