1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

NPC input!

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Maurolava, May 5, 2006.

1. Maurolava

Maurolava Neither to go back, nor to take impulse Veteran

[​IMG] Hi,

As some of you might know, I’m currently in the process to making a Mod, is trilogy of sorts. The first part is a kit which I have already release (Samurai); the second one is a Merchant/Item mod which I’m soon to release and last will be a NPC. This last one is the one that brings me here; I’m looking for some input into what you people like about an NPC and so I have come about with some questions.

I should note that this mod is Oriental style one, like the Kit, the item part will be to introduce some oriental weapons, and in the same manner I’ll try to make the NPC. So anyway here are the questions:

1. Sex:
    Basic question, should it be male or female, the reason that I ask will actually come in a later question

2. Race:
    Since it will be an oriental mod, I’m trying to keep this also as close to the races found on this setting as possible. The possible choices would be:

• Human
    • Hengeyokai
    • Korobokuru
    • Nezumi
    • Spirit Folk
    • Vanara
    Now, to those unfamiliar to these races you can read some info about then here . Also if you think that Elf, dwarf or other common races should be the one, please indicate why!

3. Class:
    Okay, here is same as with the races, so these are some of the possible choices:
    • Samurai or Ronin (Fighter kit)
    • Shaman (Cleric kit)
    • Shugenja (Cleric kit)
    • Sohei (Monk kit)
    • Wu Jen (Wizard kit)
    • Ninja (Thief kit)
    Again, as if you believe that it should be one of the common classes, please state your reasons.

4. Romance:
    Here is where I link question #1, I don’t want to do a gay romance option, and so with that, should the NPC have a romance with the PC? Maybe other NPC (Bioware only though)

5. Quest(s):
    This one I think I already know what most people will say, but doesn’t hurt to ask. Should the NPC have a quest, and if yes, should it be optional or mandatory (as in the NPC mentioning now and then that it needs to be done, or he/she will leave)

I think that should cover most of the important parts of the NPC, if any of you have another ideas or suggestions, please you most share it with me. Thank you in advance to all.

Maurolava

2. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

Well, I will once again offer my Wu Jen character up for your consideration. :) Male Human Wu Jen, with NO romance, unless you want to make it a paired NPC with his mate, a female bard, with no quests for him, though possibly for the bard. Solo, he'd need a little backstory for why he left her side, likely at her request.

Preferences aside from that...
    1. Depends 100% on #4.
    2. An odd thing might be nice, but if you do it remember to make it 2e, not 3e. Getting +2 to all stats and other **** like that should NOT make it into this game. If you can't be sure, make it a human.
    2a. Could we get more info on the odd races like stat adjustments and special abilities and such?
    3. Ninja might be nice for the interplay with Yoshi on how he's "doing it wrong", but the whole ninja thing just seems...overdone.
    3a. More info on the kits please? Like advantages and disadvantages.
    4. NPC-NPC. Definitely. There aren't enough of those, and all but one are for Imoen.
    5. No f***ing quest. I hate the NPCs b****ing about what I have to do for them. To Hell with them! (Literally. :shake: )

3. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

A monk kit? Can you really make a monk kit? It would be cool!

Definitely, a well written romance with also lots of interactions and flirts (and PC is allowed to initiate such things) makes a NPC all more fun to me. I can take a new romancable NPC no matter what his/her class is. Though you can make it bi-romances, like famous Sola. Sola is so famous as he can romance possibly every PC out there, provided that PC does the best things. Such things make romances more interesting. Now, I am not telling you to make spesificly gay romances (though I must confess I am having great fun with Nathaniel :good: ), but make it uni-sex if posible. :p

NPC-NPC romances may be OK if it is interesting. A willy chaotic lass corrupting noble Anomen or even better, Keldorn? I would want to see that! :shake: Or a kind and valiant halfling gentleman for poor Mazzy, who has lost her love Patrick? Or...maybe a gnomish lady for Jan? :p :p :p Possibilities are endless!

But NO couple NPCs like in BG1 please, the very idea makes me sick. I think the unwanted NPC meets a very unfourtunate end if you do so which will be a shame.

4. Thunder Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Personally I like NPC quest if they contribute to the story or character depth of the NPC involved. But seeing as not everone likes these quest you could try to make it an optional quest with a timer. If the PC doesn't start with the quest before a set time, the NPC goes off on his/her own and completes it (more or less). After returning he/she may be with some potions less, maybe some more wounds, and a bit of experience more, maybe even a minor magical item as the quest reward (which could be bigger, should the PC decide to indeed do the quest).

Romance is always the question, some love these things and again, some don't. Sometimes friendship is enough to make the NPC stand out, but romance could make it even better. Just beware not to make it to 'out there' (like the searalith mod, which IMO was to poetic for my taste).

A nice touch is the interaction with other members of the party, but be carefull not to let them dominate any conversations.

As for the class, it's all up to you, just don't let him/her be the ultimate cheeser, outshining other NPC's (or the PC) y giving him/her super high stats or uber equipment.

5. Felinoid

No, you can't make a monk kit. But I chatted with Mauro about it last night, and it seems that the Sohei is a mix of priest and monk. Seeing as the 'Fighting-Monk' is a priest kit in 2e in the first place, except with no spells and some great unarmed fighting abilities, it would not be hard to make the Sohei as a "cleric" kit with many of the same abilities of a monk.

Mauro also purchased an AD&D 1e (not to be confused with original D&D) Oriental Adventures book online while we were chatting. It will likely not be difficult to transfer it to 2e rules (if any alteration is even necessary), and that is probably what he'll be going from for this. The races and classes he has quoted are from 3.5e sources, so there may be some differences. When Mauro receives the book, I expect he will post to let us know. :)

Don't let that stop any of you from posting based on the current info, though. For all we know the AD&D book may not have as extensive options for race and class, and Mauro may end up going with the 3.5e stuff anyway (though we both hope that's not the case). And that wouldn't exactly be the end of the world anyway, as it wouldn't exactly be the first time that 3.5e made its way into BG2. ;)

6. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

For me I'd like to see a Female Vanara Shaman or Shugenja, romancable with the PC, a mandatory quest and an optional one based on the romance.

:)

EDIT: As Mauro has pointed out to me there isn't really a paperdoll for a Varana :( Guess she'll have to be human

[ May 06, 2006, 01:35: Message edited by: DarkStrider ]

7. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    The Sohei sounds interesting.

Romance with the PC. Then I would like a male.
    Romance with NPC. Female, I think.

Quest? Should be optional.

8. Andyr Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I'd pick a character with a story you like and want to develop, rather than trying to mod via democracy. :) It will turn out better if you're doing something you like and understand.

9. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

He just wants to know what people think, so that when he releases it, people will download it. If people give him ideas, he will latch onto a few, make the mod, and everyone will be happy!

10. Maurolava

Maurolava Neither to go back, nor to take impulse Veteran

[​IMG] Hi,

Thank you for your input, you are right. The mod and the decision will be untimely mine, but Saber is also right...

Even though I'm the maker of it, a mod is after all for the player, and my objective is to have something that will be fun for them, is a lot easier for me to get ideas out of the people that will enjoy it!

Anyway, I got the book with the info so here it is:

1. Sex:
    Still depends on the romance

2. Races:
    I has being narrow down to 3, not counting human, unfortunately I can’t use Vanara or Nezumi because there is not paper-doll or animation for them. Next I’ll post some of there stats of the remaining races

Hengeyokai - They are Shape shifters, but there original form is actually of the animal. They do not receive any stats adjustments. Also they have 9 choices to shape-shift, but depend on alignment.

STR 12/18
    DEX 9/18
    CON 12/18
    INT 12/18
    WIS 12/18
    CHA 12/17
    (Min/max)

Korobokuru - Small, hairy men (see dwarf). They have a +1 STR, +1 CON and -2 INT adjustments.

STR 8/19
    DEX 6/18
    CON 12/19
    INT 3/15
    WIS 3/17
    CHA 3/16
    (stats after racial adjustment)

Spirit Folk – They are the union between Human and Spirits, there are 3 sub races (river, see and bamboo). No stats adjustments.

STR 6/18
    DEX 12/18
    CON 6/14
    INT 12/18
    WIS 9/18
    CHA 14/18
    • Bamboo sub-race gets +1 bonus on saving throws on Wands
    • River +1 bonus on saving throws on Spells
    • Sea %75 fire resistant
    3. Class:
    I have also narrowed down to 4 Classes/Kits

Samurai (Fighter Kit) – The reason behind this is because I already have the Samurai kit as a playable one and it came to me that I might be good to have an interaction between two of them, maybe even a romance develop.

Shukenja (Cleric kit) – This is the combination of healer and anti-evil kit. Because of this it must be Good alignment.

Advantage:
    Once per day can cast Remove Curse and Protection from Evil ‘10
    At level 12 gets Heal once per day
    At level 17 gets Resurrection once per day
    Bonus +3 to hit and +3 damage against Evil creatures.

Disadvantages:
    May only wear armor up to chain mail
    May not get any points on Sword and Shield style

Sohei (Paladin kit) – In the Oriental adventure book, it states that is a monk kit, but I monk can not be kit, so I decided that a paladin will be a close option, the description of the Sohei is that they are warriors, religious soldiers who protect large monasteries. They are more militant than holy, and receive very little religious instruction. It must be Lawful alignment.

Advantage:
    If health reaches below 15 percent, the Sohie will use Fanaticism ability (berserker rage)
    Can get Grand Mastery on War hammer
    Immune to Hold and Charm spells.

Disadvantage:
    May not use lay on Hands ability.
    May not sue Hold Undead ability
    May not use Cure Disease ability.
    May not get any points on Sword and Shield style

Wu Jen (Mage Kit) – They are men of mysterious powers. Commanding the elements, spirit forces, and the very powers of nature

Advantage:
    Can cast Elements spells at maximum damage. (Fire in this case)
    May get +1 to hit and damage with Daggers

Disadvantage:
    May not use Abjuration Spells

4. Romance:

I think I’ll definitely have a romance, it will take some time, but I still want to now if people like more PC-NPC over NPC-NPC

5. Quest:

I also want quest, probably optional, but it actually depends on want kind of NPC will be. Maybe a quest involving a romance will make more sense, idea are welcome here.

So that’s for now, please tell me what you think now that I have posted all the stats.

Maurolava

11. Felinoid

Clarification on the Wu Jen -
    He can't cast Abjuration spells because he is a Transmuter. (In PnP, specialties exist alongside kits, not as kits.) The real disadvantage is that he will have objections to certain things according to taboos which he cannot break, for fear of losing his powers, growing ill, or even dying. This may lead to some problems in certain quests (even the main quest), but nearly all problems would be solvable by clever players. Some won't be and will cause him to leave the party if you continue over his objections.

And considering that it's my old character that Mauro would be basing this on, you can guess which one I pick. ;)

12. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

Definately go for PC-NPC romance. They are interactive for the player, and thus, more fun. NPC-NPC romances are boring...

Perhaps you could have an NPC-NPC romance if the PC rejects the character?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.