1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

NPC camaraderie

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Midwinter, Aug 20, 2004.

1. Midwinter Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

In all the CRPGs you've ever played, which NPCs did you feel the most camaraderie with? Which ones had you really talking back to them when they said something? Which ones did you care about?

2. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Viconia. No deal about it.

3. Rednik Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

In PS:T, I felt pretty close to Morte, as close as one can feel to a floating skull.

4. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Dak'kon from PS:T.

However the best NPC interaction I have ever seen would have to be between Minsc and Keldorn.

5. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

The flesh golem in the underdark in IWD II. He follows you faithfully around and then it's sad when you have to leave him behind when you go outside (because he can't go out in the sun).

6. Register Gems: 29/31

You can have a flesh golem in your group in IWDII? Darn. Didn't know this, have to replay the game now.

7. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Yeah, you can get him to join you in the Underdark. He follows you and attacks anyone who attacks you, then runs back to stand next to you. He rocks (unless you're mean and let him die).

8. Abomination Gems: 26/31

How can he rock if he's a flesh golem? (Hur hur hur!) :p

9. MilanChe Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Minsc. "We are aaaaaall heroes, you and Boo and I...hamsters and rangers everywhere, rejoice!" :)

:doh:

10. Register Gems: 29/31

Abom, you are now formally on my deathlist. :D

Another NPC I really care for; Kivan. How can someone have all that torment and still manage to survive? It really suprises me, because I know I wouldn't be able to.

11. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Does this include only CRPG's (Computer RPGs) or CRPG's (Console RPGs) as well?

Computer RPG's:
    - BG2: Imoen & Tashia. Both really felt important; apart from all the others. Tashia in fact reminds me quite much of one girl I once knew.
    - KoTOR: Jolee Bindo. That guy really had a personality.

Console RPG's:
    - FF VII: Aerith. I don't think I've ever really cried for a game, save her incident. Then again I was young back then. I wish I could feel the emotions now I did then though, truly gave gaming an entirely new meaning.
    - Chrono Trigger: The frog character always got to me. In every game I get a huge emotional boost whenever I fight side-by-side with him. Definitely one of the most intriguing characters in my console gaming history, even if his story was a cliché. Named him Troga, every time.

I'm sure there are others, just can't remember them right now.

12. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Imoen (BG2), especially with that mod.
    Viconia (BG2), with romance.
    Your Diablo II hireling.
    Ivan and Igor Dolvich (Jagged Alliance 2).
    Pairi in IWD2.

[ September 09, 2004, 04:31: Message edited by: Tassadar ]

13. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    Jan Jansen, without any hesitation.

After that, I really cared about Minsc, Morte, and Annah.

14. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

if console games count, then its definitely Tidus from FFX. I had to suck it in at the end :(

15. Colthrun

Colthrun Walk first in the forest and last in the bog Veteran

Wilhem, from VtM: Redemption. I play more with him than with the main character...

16. Kam Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Viconia from you-know-where
    Juhani and Bastila fom KotOR
    Goris the Scholar from Fallout 2
    Annah and Dakkon form PsT
    Buns and Shadow from JA 2
    Marie Delacroix From System Shock 2. Following her, listening to her logs, and then finding her. Bronski's last stand. It really felt like a tragedy, even after seeing the Dining Hall, and what she did there.

You know, actually, I felt that way about most of the characters in System Shock 2. Except for Maleck. Now that boy got what was coming to him.

17. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    My "talking back" award would go to Xan and Jaheira in BG1.

For sympathy, Jaheira when she lost Khalid in BG2 (more than when I romanced, in fact). Viconia, especially in TOB. Hey, I even felt sorry for Irenicus after I learned of his entire story (blame it all on Bodhi! never liked her much anyway)

Dakkon from PS:T

As for funniest NPC interaction, it would be Keldorn and Yoshimo singing in BG2. Hilarious :D
    It's probably one of the few times I really laughed out loud in a game.

18. Faraaz Gems: 26/31

I don't know if anyone here has played Tales of Phantasia for the SNES? The bad guy...Dhaos. I felt for him, at the end...because of that plot twist near the end.

Also, Aribeth from NWN's OC. The story was pretty dodgy, but I liked her a lot. She had a lot of character.

Also, Viconia from BG2...there's something about that drow. :D

19. Register Gems: 29/31

I would like to add some:

Ice and Snake from the Jagged Alliance series.
    Best friends, and during a mission another character named Spam caused Snake's death, making Ice quit his job for a while.

Frog and Magus from Chrono Trigger.
    Frog because he is so damn cool, and Magus for his eternal struggle. The bad part is that the two of them hates eachother.

Hawk from Seiken Densetsu 3.
    He gets his best friend killed. He gets his girlfriend cursed. He have to kill two other of his best friends, TWICE. If that is not bad enough, none of them are revived like people like to do at the end of RPGs.

Kivan from Baldur's Gate. I would hate to have my wife killed on a vacitation, and then, when you kill Tazok in the bandit camp, the bastard COMES BACK for the final fight. And if that wasn't enough, he comes back AGAIN in BG2.

20. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

oh wait, i'd also like to add Hotsuma from the Shinobi game for the PS2. The opening FMV with this brother was awesome as well as being extremely sad. Also, Yukimura Sanada from Samurai Warriors (his ending is awesome)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.