1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

NPC Alignment changes

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Niskers, Jul 29, 2004.

1. Niskers Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

How come we can't make Aerie evil? Or more generally how come you can't convert any of the good or neutral guys over? Viconia and Sarevok can be turned to good just by watching your actions, no? So why can't another one of your innocent followers be turned evil by watching all the horrid things you do? Anomen's as close as we get and it's a once all or nothing shot to determine his alignment, not much fun there. If my evil brother can come over to the Light, why can't we drag Imoen into the dark?

2. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

It's a fair observation you make.
    If such an alignment shift was ever considered, which I doubt, I'd speculate that the actions and conversations needed could possibly hurt the rating of the game. Just a speculation, mind you! :)

3. Sparhawk the Pandion Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Sounds like an awesome idea for a mod. I'd probably play it. There was a mod in progress that would allow you to recruit and corrupt a paladin, but it's dead unfortunately. I was looking forward to it.

4. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

I do not think that alignment changes are really realistic if there is a lot of them. Sure, I can understand Viconia changing, but Sarevok...? No chance in nine hells. :shake:

Likewise, I have hard time imagining Aerie turning evil. Aerie, evil? "The whimsy pigeon gone bad?" :shake: I could think Imoen going to the wrong road for the sake of his half-sibling/friend, but that wouldn't be exactly "evil", would it?

But one such change could be a good addition, IMO, and the only NPC I can think of doing that would be Haer'Dalis, but then the change could go either way. ;) Interesting idea.

5. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

What I find weird is the PC alignment changes -- The only chance I've ever seen for that is the chance to become Neutral Evil during your tests in Hell -- you choose evil on one, you turn Neutral Evil, which is really stupid if you are already Lawful or Chaotic Evil. Other than that, though you can lose your status as a Paladin or Ranger, your alignment always stays the same. I kind of wish that they had some sort of counter programed in like they do in Torment, where your alignment can shift around a little based on your actions.

But getting back on topic, I'd like to see the PC be able to drag Aerie into evil, or make Keldorn into a Fallen Paladin by having him kill his wife's lover, or turn Nalia into a vicious, reactionary killer of the wealthy. That would be cool, and I'd play a mod like that.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.