1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Now I know why HoW got 5.4 at Gamespot

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale (Classic)' started by sturm brightblade, Apr 28, 2001.

1. sturm brightblade Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

[​IMG] before i bought HoW i have read its review in gamespot. HoW's score is very low. but then i thought gamespot might have misjudge it.

but now that i have actually finished the game, now i know why gamespot give HoW a very low review score. for one HoW is way too short. i mean it only took me bout 6 hours to kill the damn dragon and finish the whole game. and HoW, seems to go slow. i mean playing HoW is like playing multiplayer game with a very high latency. i don't know if this is caused by a bug or just the game. tried using the patch but still slow.

the way i see, Heart of Winter is just a damn excuse for black isle to launder more money. i should not have bought the damn game anyway.

2. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

[​IMG] It was meant to be a short, brutal pure fighting game. I agree with you, it WAS too short, but it was entertaining and I enjoyed it. Guess that's why it only had 2 cds ;)

3. Bowie Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

[​IMG] Actually I think for someone who never played IWD before (like me) getting both IWD and HOW together is the only way to go. You get the graphics improvement of course, plus all the new features for the bard, thief, ranger, etc. right from the start. I can see how someone who only wanted to play the new areas could be a bit disappointed, but there's a lot more stuff added to the game than just the new areas. Plus there should be a new (FREE!) downloadable area for HOW available soon. Maybe that'll make you happy? ;)

Plus, I enjoyed the final battle of HOW alot better than the IWD ending...

[This message has been edited by Bowie (edited April 28, 2001).]

4. Orkrist the Cleaver Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] Sorry you're upset. Whats this laundering money bit? Make money yeah, laundering it is another thing altogether. Anyway, I was satisfied with HOW, but just satisfied. It didn't "blow me away" like IWD did. I spent a lot on it and got it on the first day out. It took me a while to finish it though, much longer than five hours. There were some problems with certain areas, especially the "Burial Isle" area, I had to reconfigure to finish it. The town of Lonelywood was too small with too little going on, too. But, the plot was cool, the art was great, the music and everything else I like about IWD was right on the money, so I wasn't too upset. HOW recieved various reviews, Gamespots being the toughest. I would rate it around 7 I think. If you were to play the game through from the beginning again, there might be more to it. I may do that at some point in the distant future, like when I retire.

5. rowport Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Just playing the expansion section by itself missed a lot of what HOW offers. Try re-playing the entire IWD game with HOW installed, and I think you will find that it really does add lots to the experience. The graphics are better and expandable, and there are new items on lots of the NPCs along the way. Although the completely new section by itself was small, the rest of the game is much better now. And, a free expansion area is on the way, which is a great idea- and a better deal for gamers. Sorry you were so unhappy with HOW; personally, I had a lot of fun with it.

6. Grovflab Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I've just found out, that my original group from IWD was to freaking weak to stand up for a fight. I only had two front fighters, wereas one of them was multiclassed. I'm now starting over from the beginning of IWD. I'll be using four fighters this time. Of these, two will be multiclass. (fighter/thief and cleric/ranger) Besides I will have a druid, who should be able to do a bit of fighting.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.