1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

noob Morrowind

Discussion in 'The Elder Scrolls 1-4' started by why2not, Jul 30, 2006.

1. why2not Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Hello. I'm a new gamer, just having played Icewind Dale II. I found that I enjoyed exploring & improving my characters more so than the main quest, so I decided to purchase Morrowind.

It's in the mail. When it gets here are there any mods or bug fixes that I HAVE to add? Anything else that a total new player needs to know to get started?
    Thanks

[ July 31, 2006, 01:39: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

2. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Just the official patch will do.

3. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

Well, that depends on what you've got. If you're getting the Game of the Year Edition, that includes all patches as well as both official expansions. If not, you'll probably need a patch somewhere.

As for mods...Morrowind is freaking huge. If you do everything in it, it should take you at least 10 times longer than any game you've played previously. (I still don't know what dark magic they used to put it all on one measly disc.) Mods simply aren't necessary, most especially for your first play.

4. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    What he said. And no matter how powerful you get (I'm level 48, have maxed out all stats except luck (which is still at 69 or something, having started with 40) and many skills), you will always find some challenge. And the graphics... dear... And the sound is great. Never seen such a great climate/atmosphere/immersion in any game before. Not even Might & Magic. Doesn't make Morrowind my favourite game, no, but it needs to be pointed out.

5. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Oh yeah, one friendly advice. Don't ever drink Fortify Health potions. If you're not careful, you will die right on the spot when the potion wears off.

6. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

Note to self, sell them off when I get some...

7. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

I disagree that the game is always a challenge. Once you reach a certain level, and you have in your possession certain weapons and armour, it's like taking candy from a baby. Not a single creature in the entire game will be standing on both feet after two blows with my enchanted Daedric katana. The only thing you can do to make it more challenging is install a few plugins. I for instance have a mod that replaces most skeletons with ancient liches. Fighting an army of skeletons, like you have to do in the siege of Firemoth plugin, is no more than a nuissance. Replace those skeletons with liches however, and you'll have your work cut out for yourself.

Personally i never had any problems with any opponents after reaching level 17 or 18. Maybe it's because i'm a Morrowind veteran, dunno, but i never really thought this was a very challenging game. It's great though, don't get me wrong, i love the exploring and stuff, but the fighting is simply too easy.

8. Sir Fink Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

If you install only one mod I'd make it one of the "beautiful faces" mods. There are many, and they greatly improve the hair and faces of both NPCs and your character. Purely cosmetic but worth the download.

9. Pseudospawn Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Veteran

Better Bodies & Faces of Vvardenfell - its sad that in a game where they can render the environment staggeringly realistic they left every single npc blocky and unconvincing. Thats where these two mods pick up the slack.

Also pick up the fletcher shop from the official mods, they make bows a little more versatile.

10. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

Actually, I kind of like the blocky look. The only thing that gets on my nerves is the look-a-likes. My character is unique, dammit! How do fifteen other people have my face? :shake: Does this mod you speak of fix this? Does it make NPC faces and PC faces different?

11. Pseudospawn Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Veteran

I havent played Morrowind for a bit but i think it gives every 'important' npc a unique face but the majority use the same face set as you.

I never saw people having my face as too much of a problem since there are bundles of mods out there that add new faces/hairstyles/colours so even my Dark Elf Nightblade feels unique.

EDIT: I forgot Faces of Vvardenfell has been obsolete for a while now. It was repackaged as 'Better Heads'

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.