1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Non-WotC d20 supplements

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by Volar Blackmane, Mar 11, 2002.

1. Volar Blackmane Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Anyone tried any of these? Anyone recommend anything they've read? I had an idea involving the purchase of 'only' the core rulebooks I'm missing and complementing them with non-WotC material.

2. Voltric Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I've used some of the Swords and Sorcery publications like Rites & Rituals and the Divine & Defeated plus some of their Monster Manuals. R&R and D&D (the book :)) have some interesting ideas but lots of holes. I might use them for coming up with new spells, items or Prestige Classes but I'd want to sit down and rough out the edges before putting the stuff into play. I think using the stuff from the WotC sourcebooks keeps the game a little more balanced.

The monster Manuals are a bit better if a little over powered. If you increase some of the Challenge Ratings to balance out the XP it all works out fine.

[This message has been edited by Voltric (edited March 11, 2002).]

3. void Guest

I have the swords and sorcery monster thingy. It has some fun and useful ideas, definately a good buy, thought there were a couple of things I didn't really like (such as the stats for an actual diety). I hope this was of use,

Cheers, Void

4. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Well I've also found the Sword and Sorcery products to be the best stuff out there, outsde of the WoTC products. Their monster manuals are really nice to add some new beasts, and their other books are good too. I found a new book called Liars and Somethingerother...don't remember exacty what it was called. But it was a book with just alternative races, which is nice, even though all or most of them were higher ecl races. At least it offered a change from the normal dnd races. I might debate some of the level equivilants, but like anything, it's a place to start. I'm also very interested to see what Malhavoc Press is all about. Monte Cook seems to play a big hand in it, and they have a new Book of Eldritch Might 2 that I'd like to get. Overall, WoTC has the best stuff for the d20 system, but its always worthwhile to check out the other sources, as some of the material out there is really good.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.