1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

No-reload solo

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Modjahed, Mar 2, 2002.

1. Modjahed Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

The idea came up on the SoA forum, so now I'm trying to do it. I do not know whether I will get far or not, but it is still worth a try.

So I am trying to beat SoA (and maybe part of ToB) solo and without reloading.

The character I am doing it with is weird: Gnomish WizardSlayer/Mage/Thief. :D

Don't tell me it is not legitimate, I know it. :D

I have already completed a couple quests already, so I will list them and tell if there was something tough (interesting) in the process.

I. Irenicus Dungeon

- nothing hard, although I had to sneak past those five mephits near the Djinni because they were too many for my low-level char
    - was lucky to score a critical hit when backstabbing a vampire on the second level, so nice 8000 Exp for me

II. Circus Tent

- all too easy with the backstab

III. Copper Coronet Slavers

- the first trick part was when I got the wrong answer choice when talking to Lehtinan - that's where I had to think. Then I remembered that you can get the needed info by talking to one of the CC clients - and bingo, I was able to talk to Lehtinan again
    - backstabbed the Beastmaster succesfully, so I didn't have to fight the whole bunch at a time

IV. Slavers in the Sewers

- used my innate Horror ability to deal with this tough group of slaver guards
    - easy other than that

Va. Daystar Lich

- Protection from Undead

Vb. Random encounters

- there is a nice way for evil chars to end the battle quickly: Larloch's Minor Drain at the mage right away - this interrupts the Mirror Image, the Mage is then killed, after that it is easy

VI. Trademeet

- I wanted that Elven Chain from Mr. Alibakaar - so I had this pretty tough magic battle with him and Lady Luraxxol. With help from traps and cumulative spell failure I was not doing so bad, but I was nonetheless hit by that last Power Word Stun. Luckily for me the other mage shot out a Lightning Bolt that rebounded from the wall and killed them both :D

VII. De'Arnise Hold

- Glaicas was able to put me to 10 HP, but at the time I had like 15 healing potions so I got away with it
    - I also had to run away from 4 angry Umber Hulks after Sunfire and Fireball didn't have much effect. They are also immune to Chaos (strange? ;)). It is good that monsters cannot open doos, so I was able to close one, catch my breath and Hide in Shadows.

That's it for a day of playing, will update tomorrow.

2. Wildfire Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

First of all: Your character is not legimate :D :p.

Second: Whoa! You play a lot of BG2 in one day ;)

Third: Are you going to do all of the side quests? Twisted Run may prove fairly challenging...

Fourth: Well done, keep it up! :thumbsup: :)

3. cirian16 Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Hey I'll try it to....a few idiots have to go after a goal if you expect it to be acomplished....I'll prolly do it with an elvin scorceror perfectly legit....I might do a duel or multiclassed character but scorceror is what I know I can do and if I do good....I'll do all the subquests.....I might accidently not see a few dragons at first lol.

4. Modjahed Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Legit or non-legit - I cannot say that the game is uber-easy.

Remember that I can't use any potions except healing and no magic items: so no Robe of Vecna, no Ring of Protection, no Amulet of Power, no Bracers of Defense, no Boots of Speed etc.

5. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    I agree, even my incredible, illegit - and hopelessly overpowered - mc kensai-mage wasn't at all easy to play - for, unlike Mojahed, she was at least able to use robes and rings. Anyway, for the first 1.500.000 xp it was pretty hard - after that it became a walk in the park ... However, when played properly she was awesome period. So creating an illegit char isn't necessarily cheesy too.
    Mind that Mojahed had built a triclassed char, so he'll - despite soloing - gainlevels more slowly. Add his armor and equipment restrictions and you'll see how hard it is to get a sufficient AC without itzems, relying mainly on magic.

Interesting class-combo actually, choosing the wiz-slayer made playing this char a stony way for you I bet. And for the gnome: shorties rule!

Keep us informed about your progress :)

[This message has been edited by Ragusa (edited March 03, 2002).]

6. Grah'huk Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Keep in mind that since you're playing a wizard slayer, you probably need Arlibane's short sword. I can haste 1/day and grants free movement. One of the slavers from the first random encounter has it i think.

7. Viking Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Are you staying clear of the worst of the instant death parts? As I see it, I'd be bloody annoyed at losing the game to one failed dire charm save. Ouch.

I'd go with the general view though, that the early parts are without a doubt the hardest.

Which reminds me, which levels are you at now? As per last update, or futher on if you've carried on.

8. Mikar81 Guest

No-reload solo is a nice way to check if you know your enemies.
    Mine is a Assasin/Mage wielding Tuigan Bow+1 and Celestial Fury or The Answerer +4.
    I'v played power-no-reload-solo on Extremly Hard with an unboosted char and kicked butt.:)
    The only trouble i had was with the dragons.
    Poison your weapon/bow cast Improved Haste. They drop like flies :)

9. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    This seems like something really interesting. How do you find the changes to the Wizardslayer work in ToB? Do they make him as powerful as it seems?

10. Desu Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Well, I've soloed the easiest kit around, F/M/T. The first chapters are really hard, but once you start to gain exp., it really becomes a walk in the park.

Ive also soloed a Shapeshifter (these guys seem to be pathetic, but their lycanthropy-spelling is wrong i think- is mighthy awesome.)

The worst kit I've played is a regular Wizard Slayer. But, that without reloads, no way =)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.