1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

No death, no reload BGT...possible???

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Mistyca, Sep 23, 2006.

1. Mistyca Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Is this possible in your opinion??
    I'm going to start a new BGT game and i'm trying to set rules for myself in order to make the game more challenging and real.
    I think a no death no reload for BGT is really a great challenge. Or i could set a no death and a small number of reload, considering the early game difficult to survive...
    I'd like to hear your opinion ;)

I think a good party for this need to be like:
    Fithter\Thief (thieving skills and great fighter and backstab damage)
    Ranger\Cleric (druid and cleric spells)
    ?
    ?

I think 4 characters are the best...

I don't want to use sorcerers (too powerful imo) maybe a multiclass mage....

2. Iraelonn Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I think it is possible, just not likely. At some point your character will fail a save and bad things will happen. There is a greater possibility of this happening in the beginning, as you point out. Take it slow and you might pull it off. Keep us posted on your progress.

3. hendak Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

If you're wanting to keep ALL your characters from ever dying, I would suggest a massive tank. Maybe a Dwarven fighter with 17 Dex and 19 Con, for AC and HP. Though a human with 18 in each might be as good...I don't know all the stat breakdowns off the top of my head.

And unless you're sure you'll never get your arcane caster in danger, it might be wise to do a MC, like you said. A Fighter/Mage should have enough HP to survive most short battles, even as a frontliner. In long ones, just make sure he runs away fast!

And you got me thinking...I think I'm going to try a no reload, no resurrection game with 4 fighter/thieves. The backstab sure would be fun...

4. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mênu! Veteran

I'm playing a no reload game, starting with BGI and I'm going to see how far I can go.

The best I've done so far is with a Gnome Illusionist/Cleric. I stay far away from combat, and have wonderful saving throws.

5. Mistyca Gems: 5/31

To hendak: no, i'm not trying to prevent ALL my characters from dying...it'd be nearly impossible. This rule is only for the main character.
    In order to do this, my main character must have high HP, good saving throws, and must not be the first man to go into battle.
    Thinking about the strategy for the game, i think one of the most important things to have is a cleric to cast resurrection in order tohave back my friends when they die (not permanently, obviously... ;) ). So i think i'll have 1 pure cleric, and a good aligned one for the turning ability.
    As i've said before, a F\T will give me all the thieving i need and much more.
    Maybe i'll not make a R\C but, instead, get Jaheira.

So, now, my party is starting to get form....
    As i've said in a previous topic (some days ago) i want to keep the same characters for all the BGT game. So i'll have

Me
    Jaheira F\D
    Viconia
    Imoen
    Minsc

I'll SK the classes of these characters according to my needs.
    I want a good aligned cleric, so Viconia is out here....any suggestion about this???
    Minsc will be my main tank....maybe i'll make him a berserker, or a barbarian....
    All your opinions are welcome... :)

6. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Make your PC a cleric, F/C, R/C or C/M?

7. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

In BG2 you have Aerie and Anomen, but
    Yeslick is the only good aligned cleric NPC in BG1.
    But since it's important to be able to cast "animate dead", "protection from evil 10" radius" and "raise dead" as soon as possible I suggest taking Branwen unless you play a cleric yourself.

8. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Its certainly NOT possible if you are playing with Tactics installed...even more so if you haven't played Tactics like 30 times already...

Oh, and you're playing with a party of 4, with a no death rule, and you're worried about being overpowered by having a Sorcerer along??

Mate...I'd say pick a Cleric Ranger for your tank, a Cleric/Mage for buffer cum healer, Mage/Thief for utility, traps and backstabbing and finally a Sorcerer for nuking stuff.

Trust me, if you are going to constrain yourself thus, your going to need all the help you can get.

9. Mistyca Gems: 5/31

Nice party idea Faraaz...i'll try to add a F\T maybe...i just love them!!!! :)

10. Proteus_za

Proteus_za

Why backstab with a mage/thief? Surely your damage and thaco wont be as good, and as soon as they spot you (after the mage is hopefully dead) wont you get killed by the rest of the critters?

Man I'm glad you are attempting a no death no reload game, I dont need that kind of challenge in my life.

I am thinking of trying a game with only two characters, f/m/c and f/m/t. might sk them into kits. not sure about no deaths or reloads, sounds pretty difficult to achieve.

11. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Theoretically, yes. I mean, if you've ever finished the game before, it is obviously possible for your PC to survive every fight. The trick here is having them survive every fight on the first try...

I agree with what others have been saying. If you take a character with a lot of hit points and a good saving throws, getting through early BG1 will be the biggest challenge. While not often done due to a less than optimal dexterity, you could be a dwarven fighter-thief. Tons of HP, although sadly for role playing reasons, there aren't many thief weapons that any self-respecting dwarf would use - other than maybe a club.

Just buy the wand. Resurrection is a waste of an otherwise perfectly good level 5 spell slot.

12. Klorox

kmonster: can you get "raise dead" in BG1?

I recommend Yeslick for BG1 and Anomen for BG2. They both double as very good tanks.

13. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    @ Klorox: No, you need to get to level 9 and even with TotSC, you will not get that high.

14. Klorox

Hey, just to update y'all: I made it through BG1 without reloading, and I'm going to start BG2 in the near future!

YEAH!

15. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.