1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

NHL is back!

Discussion in 'Colosseum' started by Ofelix, Oct 10, 2005.

1. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    Yeah Hockey's back this year. I open this thread to people who wants to discuss the true National sport. So Who's got your approval for the Stanley cup this year?

BTW, Montreal sure got a great start this year. I think 1 25th cup is possible!

2. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

So many teams have a new look, so I wouldn't be surprised if some of the previously average teams made the playoffs.

What do you think about the rule changes so far? I like the shoot out idea, but right now there's far too many penalties and power plays. I just watched one period of hockey so far, but I think I only saw the power play and penalty killing players... the team's second line just never got a chance.

3. Ofelix

Media:
    Maybe but the score get higher and the ''action'' is more interresting to watch too. Anyway What can we do about it the change are done.

On a side note; Can't remember who won yesterday The leaf or the Canadians... :hmm:

4. Benan Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

I like the new rules. No two pass is great. It opens everything up. I love the shootout even tought my Canucks lost to the Oilers. And I don't mind all the penalties I like watching powerplays, and players are going to just have to learn not to clutch, grab and hook.

I can see Ottowa doing really as well as Vancouver. They both have fast skilled teams. Dany Heatley fits in great in Ottowa.

5. Laiwethel Gems: 23/31

Ofelix, the Habs won that game, unfortunately.

Leafs aren't having a good start to the season. Hopefully they'll get better.

6. Ofelix

Media:
    Whatdya mean ''Unfortunately?'' :eek:

( ;) sorry just kidding)

7. Laiwethel Gems: 23/31

:p You know exactly what I mean. You go support your hometown team, and leave me to support mine ;) . And may the best *cough*Leafs*cough* team win!

8. Ofelix

Media:
    Fair enough. *cough* 24 cup go habs *cough*

Fair enough.

9. The Magpie

The Magpie Balance, in all things Veteran

By the sounds of it, you Canadians need to try some of that honey & lemon linctus. Or is the cold weather really beginning to batter the ol' immune system up there? :p

10. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    I like the NHL, I always liked to keep in touch with what's going off, even though it's not on TV much here.
    I never understood why it stopped being played to be honest!

Anyway, this is good. Go Mighty Ducks! (I like them, they have the coolest logo).

11. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

I've never been too much into NHL, sure as a hockey fan I follow what's going on and I think it's extremely good for the game that NHL is on again, but I've never really watched any of the games (they don't even show them anymore around here I believe). My main interest in hockey are the international games which I watch intensly allways.

12. Djieff Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Aaahhh, sweet, sweet hockey. The NHL's back and the game is much improved. Even though we are only a few games into the season, the changes are very evident. The games have a speed and a flow reminiscent of the international games: longer passes, more open space, quick transitions and SHOOTOUTS, baby! More than ever, the name of the game is offense, offense, offense.

I've watched a few games so far (much to my wife's dismay) and I like what I'm seeing. Let's hope the refs will keep calling hooking and crosschecking penalties as consistently throughout the season and will crackdown on goalie interference.

Here's my take on a few teams:

:cool: 5 teams whose chances I like--
    - Ottawa Senators: A powerhouse offense, the best defense in the league and an all-star (if aging) starting goaltender with the league's best backup. Plus, that's where I live.
    - Vancouver Canucks: Two great scoring lines and awesome defense. Still a question mark between the pipes.
    - Tampa Bay Lightning: They're still basically the same team that won the Cup two years ago, minus a goalie. Things will be more difficult without Khabibulin in net.
    - San Jose Sharks: With a lineup filled with young and hungry prospects, they will probably clinch the top spot in the relatively weak Pacific division.
    - Nashville Predators: Young, talented and very, very fast team, both on offense and on defense. They have the most underrated goalie in the league in Tomas Vokoun.

:eek: 5 teams whose chances I don't like--
    - Philadelphia Flyers: After they signed Forsberg, eveybody was ready to giftwrap the Cup for them. However, they have only one great scoring line and a sloooooow defense that will have a tough time with the new rules. And no proven goalie. If the injury-prone Forsberg is hurt for a long period, look out below.
    - Toronto Maple Leafs: They're slow and old (in other news, the sky is blue) and two of their best players are one good hit away from being declared legally brain-dead. Belfour was already too old for the game two years ago. No Cup for the Old Folks' Home this year, once again...
    - Minnesota Wild: A team who had success in the past based on its defensive capabilities and good goaltending. Not good enough in the new NHL.
    - Calgary Flames: I love the Flames, god bless'em, but they will only go as far as Iginla will carry them. I don't think the new NHL will be very kind to one-trick ponies.
    - Carolina Hurricanes: A largely unproven offense, a shaky defense at best and two rookie goalies. No soup for you!

The rest, including by beloved Habs, are just... there. Some have a good chance of making the playoffs (Colorado, Boston, Atlanta), while others have no chance in hell (St. Louis, Washington, Phoenix). Possible "Cinderella" teams this year include Edmonton, Chicago, Florida, Pittsburgh and, yes, Montreal. ;)

Comments welcome!

13. Blog Gems: 23/31

Did anyone see the score sheet in the Colorado 7-4? victory over Calgary? Who the hell are all those people who scored? Not Hejduk, not Sakic, not Tanguay...

14. Ofelix

Media:
    :aaa:

15. Jaguar Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Veteran

I personally don't like the new shoot-out rule. Why does every game have to end with a winner? I think it just cheapens the victory to win by shoot-out when both teams have played a spectacular game.

What is wrong with ending the game in a tie for regular season? Give each team a point apeice and a handshake and send them on their way.

Also, go Canuckleheads!

16. reepnorp

reepnorp Lim'n Lime Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I was about to go make an NHL topic in Whatnots when I found out about this forum!

Well either way, it feels amazing to have hockey back. Thank God the Leafs won on Tuesday, I was starting to get tired of not caring that they lost cause they were crazily intense games.

17. Sydax Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Wish I could see some games (I used to stay up untill 2 am to watch a game)...
    Some questions:

1- So, with the new rules, is the game improved?
    2- Who are the 'Habs'?
    3- What Super Mario is doing? Is coaching like Wayne?
    4- No more sudden death?
    5- No more fights? I mean, will be too expensive to fight, eh?
    5- Why they were on strike?

I hope with my new digital cable tv I could find some games.

18. reepnorp

reepnorp Lim'n Lime Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Lets see what I can answer.

1 - I don't know if it has been improved but there are a lot more goals now. Take last nights Toronto vs. Atlanta, Toronto won 9-1.
    2 - The Montreal Canadiens, or something like Les Habitents in French
    3 - I think he's still playing and owning the Pittsburgh Penguins
    4 - They do 5 minutes of sudden death then a shootout
    5 - Again, last night with Toronto and Atlanta there were two major brawls. So I'm not sure how it'll go
    5 - They were on strike because they wanted more money, like any strike

19. Sydax Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Thanks!
    They wanted more money? 20 million dollars isn't enough???

20. stormhand Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

[​IMG] It was not the players who were on strike, it was the owners who did a lock out. They finally realized that the salaries made no more sense and that bigger markets were in effect agonizing teams who operate in smaller market. With the new Collective Bargaining Agreement, there is now a salary cap and only a few players earn +/- $7MM. As such, there is a better balance and more teams can now contend.

As for the game, I think that until now, most fans are pleased with the product with the new rules in effect. I personally dislike the shoot outs but hey! Who am I to dict the rules! :D

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.