1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

New to Torment and could use advice

Discussion in 'Planescape: Torment (Classic)' started by Immoral, Aug 15, 2001.

1. Immoral Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Hi all. I've been hearing for months how fantastic PT is supposed to be, so I decided to buy it.

My question then. How to begin? What is a good distribution of ability points? This is what I chose. Please tell me if I should rethink it.

str13 dex13 wis13 int13 cha10

I went this way because I had no idea what to expect later in the game and and usually a well rounded character will prevail over a character that excells in just 1 or 2 abilities. But like I said, I'm new to PT and I'd like your input.

Thanks for reading.

-Immoral

2. Sprite Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

You are right about wanting to be well-rounded, although for role playing purposes you might find it easier to define the character by having one or two stats that he favours. I favoured intelligence and charisma in this game even though I planned to mostly play a fighter : I did so because the dialogue options rule the game to a much greater degree than in other games, and those two stats have the greatest impact on the dialogue options you get. My wisdom was a 13, which I think has also helped the dialogue options, and the remaining stats were 10. I think I'm about half-way through the game and I've not been disappointed. You get additional stat points when you level up so I've been beefing up strength, dexterity and constitution with those. But really, there's so much flexibility in the game that your role-playing style can dictate the stats you want to a much higher degree than you might expect. If you want to talk your way out of trouble, go for Charisma. If you like to fight, go for Dex (to boost armour class) and Strength.

3. Shoshino

Shoshino Irritant Veteran

Media:
    my char was a big time warrior, so i put it into str and dex

4. Baldursgate Fan Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Welcome to the club!

The emphasis in Planescape is not so much on combat but dialog.

Invest in Wisdom, Charisma and Intelligence to get all those extra dialog options.

I bumped my Wisdom to 18, Charisma and Intelligence 15 respectively and distributed the remaining points to other attributes. I used Morte for a fighter and Dak'kon for a mage, and I was mostly a fighter.

As in real life :D

5. Divine Shadow Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Actually the only stat that can't alter dialoge seems to be constitution.
    High dex means you can grab a pick-pockets hand or catch a fleeing person.
    High strength lets you lift heavy things.

6. Lazy Bonzo Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

[​IMG] Constitution affects hit points and regeneration speed. If you have low con you will have low hit points. In certain dialogs you take damage as a result of the conversation eg. getting you eye changed in the smoldering corpse bar, losing you hand in the museum in one of the 2 wards.

7. Volar Blackmane Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

A high wisdom actually gives an experience bonus in Torment, you might want to use that as help.

8. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Actually, I think it doesn't really matter - any character can finish the game.

However, I do suggest that you really keep charisma low because of nice "Friends" spell you can acquire at Hive market and use when needed to boost up your CHR.

9. Immoral Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Thanks everybody for all the replies and advice. I've decided to just go ahead and play out the game I stateted with the aforementioned stats.

Right now, I just emerged from the Mausoleum and I've obtained the services of a familiar name from BG2, Dak'kon Zerth. I like this guy.

One more question though. I was reading that dying can sometimes help you to recall some old memory, or even gain a special ability. Is this true? Should I die once in a while?

Thanks again for the welcomes to this forum and all the great advice.

-Immoral

10. Extremist Gems: 31/31

Hehe, no you won't gain any special powers by getting killed...

However, that's in fact a second hand spoiler. You will get some memories by dying and you will get a certain info by dying - a spoiler on that is below.

Of course, some areas can be entered by dying, but that is not the only way to get into them.

THE SPOILER
    The only way to explore your own tomb (and find one of your journals) is to kill yourself every time you find a key to pass a portal.
    The info for getting dead you can get from githyanki in Lower Ward. Accept githyanki's offer (DO NOT talk to githyanki with Dak'kon in area of sight), let him kill you and use info you hear to settle some things with Ki'ina.

[EDIT]

Immoral, I spotted you on that srealer/robber/copycat site...
    There is nothing interesting there really. They don't have anything there.
    Don't waste your time and posts there.
    Only what they know is to steal stuff from other sites. :mad:

We want you here! ;)

Anyway, you asked in the title for the advice - this is the best advice I could think of.

[This message has been edited by Extremist (edited August 16, 2001).]

11. Not qualified to give any advice yet, but since I am also new to this game and could use some advice I didn't see the need for another topic... So I thought I could ask on this thread instead, ok?

Should I invest every proficency into one class, fighter etc. or should I swap between classes if this is possible. Very strange game, but I like it, alot :)

And this Ignus guy, do I really need a mage or will Dak'kon be enough?

12. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Well I always went with one class throughout the whole game if I didn't remain a fighter all the way (i.e. went to mage or thief as soon as I could and never looked back). But it's really up to you. You'll have enough points to invest into your stats to make a decent char no matter which class you'll be.

If you're a mage, you definitely don't need another. But if you're a fighter, you might as well take him too. He's unbalanced, but a very rarely used character (too scary for most people). And you're in for a shock near the end of the game, especially if you have him in your party... But I won't spoil more. ;)

13. Ipsian Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Hi!
    I have played Torment many times and have to say its an amazing game. But I have had a few probs. Mainly, the old favourite, Fighter, Mage or Thief? I usually use stats that will profit all three, but I have not decided which class to use and properly play with. Can anyone help?

14. Extremist Gems: 31/31

You must start as fighter.

Pretty soon you'll be able to switch class to thief or mage.

Trust me, you'll know that time what suits you the best, and what class you'll invest experience into.

15. Ipsian Gems: 1/31

otay tanks :) think i'll try mage, since annah can probably be a better theif than the nameless one

16. Dragonslayer:

I think Ignus makes a better mage then Dakkon, since he is straight mage, but I liked Dakkon better. Ignus is dangerous at times and if you say the wrong things he might attack you. I suggest Ignus however, because of his powerful fire spells.... fiery rain beats up Stale Mary in one go!

17. dela Gems: 1/31

I agree. Ignus rocks, mostly 'cos you can use him as a ranged fighter as well. Although once you get ignus, you can't give the decanter to mourns-for-trees.... wht happens if you talk to him first?

18. Shraz Gems: 1/31

I've played Torment through a couple of times and I think to really get the most out of the game you have to play as a mage. I say this because a lot of the dialog between the Nameless One and Dakkon/Ignus can only be accesses if you are a mage with high inteliigence? . These conversations between the characters is what I think makes the game the best computer RPG I have ever played. Of course if you want to waltz in and slaughter everything a fighter is the way to go because the Nameless one become a pretty awesome character at the end of the game.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.