1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

New to the game and need help

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Elessar, Apr 23, 2001.

1. Elessar Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I'm fairly new to this game so I'll warn you in advance that some stupid questions may come at a fast and furious pace.

I'm at the beginning of the adventure. I've freed the slaves and freed the girl's keep of the trolls. Right now I've paid the head of the Thieves' Guild to help me and he's sent me on a quest which I've completed I think (I couldn't get one of the doors opened in the dungeon beneath the graveyard).

Here is my question; How do I free Imoen? I don't seem to be getting any closer to saving her?

As I read the board I realize that I'm just at the tip of the iceberg. I actually thought I was getting close to the end. Are there any information links to help play the game? I don't know simple things like how to cure people of curses and level drains and how to avoid them. I've noticed you talking about something called Shadowmaster. What is this?

Thanks for any help.

2. ayecapitan Guest

Just go forth through the game and you will find out most of the things you ask

3. Elessar Gems: 5/31

Maybe you could help me with one small matter, how do I cast an area effect spell without hitting my party? Why does lightning spell always come back and hit members of my party?

4. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    well, some area of affect spells (such as color spray) don't affect your party. Damage dealing spells such as fireball, cloudkill, lighting bolt, etc. hurt your party members who are in the area of affect. If I'm wrong, someone please correct me

5. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Welcome to the Boards.
    -Ok there are walkthroughs at this site and links to many more. Use them if you have to but don't ruin it for yourself.
    -Don't worry so much about Imoen, her capture is part of the plot and without giving much away I will say you get her in Chapter 4.
    -About the Graveyard quest, you get 3 quests from Aran Linvail, 1)Meeting Mook at the docks 2)Five Flagons Inn meet guild contact and his goons 3)Romp through the Vampire Base, killing those beasties. After each quest you should go back to Aran. He should have given you an Amulet, one that gives you protection from Level Drain and given you some stakes as well. He tells you to meet a mage and his golem that will open the door for you. Ok enough about that.
    -It's ShadowKeeper and you can download it from this site. It's a program that allows you to cheat, i.e. give your characters items and pump their stats. Don't use it your first time unless you want to ruin it for yourself.
    -Read up on the spells they will tell you if they hurt your party members or not. Lightning bounces off surfaces, I've seen enemy mages cast this and kill themselves. I believe it mentions that in the spell description. To name some others that hurt your party: web, stinking cloud, skull trap, ice storm, just be smart when using these.
    -Don't think you have to rush. You have plenty of time. Only later will you have to do a few quests that have to be done in a certain amount of time.
    -Good Luck

By the way, what is your current party? I'm just curious.

[This message has been edited by Big B (edited April 23, 2001).]

6. Elessar Gems: 5/31

Hi guys thanks for the reply and the welcome.

The problem I'm having with area effect stuff is that I cast it and the monsters usually run out of the area by the time I cast it. I'll work on it.

Big B

My party consists of Jaheira, Minsc, Anomen, Nalia and Aerie. My character is an undead hunter.

Thanks again.

7. Marek Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

before casting the area effect spells, try casting a "holding" spell first, and then you can hit any disabled enemies with spells or ranged weapons. by the way, i find it a good thing that enemies avoid your spells, makes it more real and fun no?

8. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

[​IMG] Here's another ;) If you know they're in the area in front of you, inch towards it then cast something like Fireball (better if you've got multiple mages) as far as you can see. Works EEEEEEVERRRRRRRRRYYY time ;)

9. Capt. Tripps Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

OK Elessar I'll spoil you.
    Shadowkeeper is a game editor which everybody here will swear they never use.I'm not going to give you the link. Play it thru first we use it for replaying.

10. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Elessar (isn't that a Bible name?)

On the Area Affect Spell topic: I buffed my cavalier's immunity to fire up considerably. That way he could charge the enemy while and keep them occupied while the rest of the party launched missile weapons and fireballs at them. My PC wouldn't take much (if any) damage from the spells, and would serve to bottle neck the monsters before the closed in on the party, making area effect spells useless.

On Lightning Bolt - keep in mind real life physics. You can strategically place your mage so that the ricochets work to your advantage or (worse case) bounce away from the party. This is 100% Trial and Error. I roasted many a friend before I got this skill down pat! :)

Enjoy the game, and don't cheat too much - Walking around with stats's like Thor kinda takes the fun out of it!

11. TIN_MAN Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Elessar!

I think you should learn how to Role Play, before you play BG2.

12. Elessar Gems: 5/31

Again thanks for all the great advice.

Mathetias, Elessar was Aragorn's royal name in the Lord of the Rings.

Tin_Man, I've been playing RPGs since the late 70's, my problem is my complete
    computer illiteracy.

13. Draco Vlasavius Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Veteran

Another item to pay attention to is Casting Time. You'll find that some spells have longer casting times and therefore the Monster is already 'out of harms way' by the time the spell that you've casted hit's the area.

In the game you'll come across magical items (*ROBE...*HINT*) that will greatly speed up your casting time. That way some spells are instantaneous and others are reduced to 1, 2 or 3 Casting Time rates which most monsters cannot avoid. Keep in there, you'll get the hang of it.

[This message has been edited by Draco Vlasavius (edited April 23, 2001).]

14. Big Bad Bert Gems: 5/31

As Marek mentions, cast holding spells such as web or entangle first, followed by offensive area spells such as cloudkill. Lightning can be a real bastard to use and is measured in distance rather than area...ie it will last for 120 feet or whatever until it is spent. Basically if you cast it in a 12 foot long room it will carry on bouncing 10 times until it has covered a distance of 120 feet. Lightning wands allow you to target six different individuals at once so can be devastating to opponents....but again, the ricochets are almost sure to bite you back depending upon the area in which you use them.

15. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

[​IMG] - You aren't that far from liberating Imoen. I think of chapter 1-3 as act I, chapter 4-5 as act II and chapter 6-7 as act III.
    Act I is all about building up your party for the trials in Act II. Act I can be very short if you wish, but it can just as well be very long.

- Area spells:
    Cast the spell in front of the enemy.
    If you center it on an enemy he'll most likely see you approaching and react to it.
    Use a stealthy/invisible thief to find where the bad guys are so your mage(s) know where to place their spells.

- ShadowKeeper:
    I use it. I'm certainly not embarrased about that. It all depends on how you use it.

16. GONMAR Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

run, run now...Just play the game until you really get stuck. Wait till your second run through to get everything right and ask a bunch of questions. It's much more fun if you just wing it IMHO. Although the manual is pretty much useless. It's pretty simple...remove curse, removes a curse etc..

[This message has been edited by GONMAR (edited April 23, 2001).]

17. TIN_MAN Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Elessar!

The "Shadow master" is the lead person in the Shadow Thieves hierarchy. In Atkathla there is one, called Aran Linvail. After you payed to Geylan Bayle(his house can be found in the upper corner of the Slums district), he will support you with a key that opens the Shadow master's lair. The HQ of the thieves is in the Dock district(you'll notice it in your map, too). Go in and go to the right, find the secret door, and go in. In the next room go to the right once more, find the other secret door and you will soon meet Aran Linvail. He'll dive you several qests to complete, before he helps you free Imoen. I suggest not to hurry to rescue her. You should do all side quests to be absolutely prepared to Jon Irenicus and Bodhi who're dangerous foes. You and your party should be likely at level 13-14 to face the challenges freeing Imoen. I can tell you that the game won't end with freeing her. There'll be a big surprise! And be careful with Yoshimo!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.