1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

New Spells!

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by BigStick, Sep 5, 2003.

1. BigStick Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Ever wanted your favorite spell added to NWN? Well, the scripting guru of the Broodslayers Guild has figured out how to do just that. He has asked us for suggestions on spells to add. He plans to release a hak pak eventually, so are there any spells you'd like to see added?

Let me know and I'll pass on the request.

[ September 05, 2003, 13:23: Message edited by: BigStick ]

2. fade Gems: 13/31

Favorite spells? Fireball but I guess that isn't much use. I personally would like a summon kydra or something like that, I know it wouldn't be consistant with D&D but it would be cool.

*me imagines a multi-headed beast tearing a swath of destruction*

*shudders*

3. BigStick Gems: 13/31

As far as I know, Fireball is already in NWN. I've never played a mage/sorcerer before, but my arcane archer can sure imbue her arrows with the fireball spell.

Hydras do exist in the D&D worlds, but, IIRC, not in NWN, so summoning them is a bit tough.

How about some ideas for spells that are not already in NWN and seem to be plausible....

4. ArtEChoke Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Yes, hehe, fireball is already in the toolset...

Offhand, I think the game could benefit greatly from Mirror Image, Gaseous Form, Levitation (not sure if these are plausible though), heat metal (again, I sincerely doubt plausibility).

Hmm... simulacrum is doable, that could be a fun spell.

I'm at work, maybe I'll be able to check out a PHB later and make other suggestions.

5. BigStick Gems: 13/31

Mirror Image might be tough, but doable. Gaseous Form...may be doable within bounds (no Z-axis). Levitate is most likely out because of the lack of the Z-axis.

Heat Metal ought to be plausible, but I'd have to check the spell description. It just heats metal until it does damage to anyone touching it, doesn't it? I think it's kind of like Melf's Acid Arrow, but with no damage at the beginning.

Not sure about Simulacrum, again, I'd have to check the PHB and am also at work.

Keep them coming...

6. ArtEChoke Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Yeah I think I read a description from one of the bioware guys as to why mirror image was unreasonable - too many polygons... I wonder if there's a blur type effect that could be used though (or heck even for the "blur" spell, now that I mention it).

The problem with Heat Metal as is in the PnP version, is that it targets a specific item, which isn't possible in a combat sense (armor or a weapon or something), but you're right if its generalized like Melf's Acid, it could be a nice perk for Druids.

In SoU there was a set of monk gloves that when used would create a simulacrum type effect, which was interesting, an exact duplicate of the monk showed up and helped out.

On the gaseous form/levitate issue, I have seen people messing with the z axis, but I have no idea how difficult it is, or if it screws things up. See "Dreamcatcher: Pit of Stars", for something like that. He set up a situation where you basically float over a chasm... its pretty crazy.

On further thinking about it though, it would be great to get some more "generalized" adventuring spells in the game, rather than just all combat spells (which seems to be all of them). Some great utilitarian additions would be Mage Hand or Telekenesis for openening doors or triggering traps at a distance, or throwing a lever/switch through some bars, etc. It seems like we already have enough ways to kill things, although I do miss "disintegrate" hehe... ooh, polymorph other as well.

7. rastilin Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I agree, the main problem with the internet adventures is role playing, or so little roleplaying that it doese'nt matter. That being said I would like to see the "Inflict" spells like inflict minor wounds and such like but otherwise they included pretty much everything I might like to cast.

8. fade Gems: 13/31

I said that fireball wasn't much use for you, because it is already in the game. Sorry for not clarifing.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.