1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

New Setting for the Bioware Infinity Engine

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by eveningdrive, Sep 6, 2001.

1. eveningdrive Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Greetings everyone!

I was just wondering what scenario/fantasy setting you folks would like to see and play in using the Infinity Engine. :)

Personally, I'd like to see a Spell Jammer Setting, where you can create exotic races and classes like the githyanki, githzerai, illithid and more. The stronghold-type quest can be based around your spelljammer ship. :)

I would also LOVE a Ravenloft Setting! I think it would be both interesting and extremely challenging (I remember a couple of 1st person view type games that used the Ravenloft setting). It would be great if we could import our BG, BG2 and IWD characters into it, to simulate being taken by the mists. Last I heard, Strahd was an ancient vampire/10th level necromancer. Not to mention Azalin the Lich and the other Lords of the Land, such as Soth.

Maybe Oriental Adventures or Dark Sun too. But... well they might not click. Then again...

So folks, drop a line or two. I'm eager to hear your ideas. :)

2. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

[​IMG] I don't want to see anything in Infinity Engine ever again!
    And why? Because of cheaters, that's why. In fact, because of easy cheating in Infinity Engine.

We could talk about many great scenarios here, anything, or even make up our own scenario...

But no, there will be always a smartass who'll have to cheat around the scenario. And just because cheating when that engine comes around is too easy.

Only IF saved game and chars will be scrambled with something, that would make a different story and different opinion of mine. But since noone will do it...

Next topic!

3. Voltric Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] Well Extremeist about killed this topic. I agree the IE is open to cheating, but it was still a good engine in it's day. I never cheated on it and I still enjoyed it a lot. As for the question, I'd love to see a new Dark Sun game. I think DS is a great setting and the old games were rather well gone. Something new and up to date would be cool to see. But I should be able to make DS games with NWN if they release a applicable tile set.

4. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I have to agree with the Ravensloft idea! That would be a great time.

Also - what about Gamma World? That came could easily use the IE!

5. Ironbeard Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Well, how about departures from the medieval fantasy setting completely. We've had medieval in the forgotten realms games, we've had spiritual wierdness in Planescape, we've had steampunk in Arcanum (Ok, not exactly IE, but close). So how about something completely different like cyberpunk a la Deus Ex or something drawn from a less used historical period like, ummm.... well classical world has been done in Invictus, err... Renaissance, Ice age...umm.....

6. Azirath Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

i would like to see a decent LOTR game in the infinity engine setting.

7. Alyr Arkhon Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Maybe a game on Midkemia? Or Ravenloft, I really want to see a horror game what uses the IE.

8. Voltric Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] A cyberpunk game in the IE would be cool, but could they do it? cyberware and the mode would not be that hard, but how about decking? How would they work the net into the game? And does the IE lend itself to modern firearms? The Fallout engine did but that was turn-based combat not real time. And how would they do vehicles? I can't imagine a cyberpunk world without any vehicles. It would be cool but I'm not sure if they could over come the problems.

What do you think?

9. Gnolyn Lochbreaker Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Mat, great idea! Gamma World would be perfect for IE, and only minor alterations to the gaming system. Half the fun would be in just creating the characters - rolling for mutations and defects. There's definitely a shortage of that sort of CRPG setting in the market.

10. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

We can't have LotR in a game. The story is too obvious :).

But we sure could have a game set in the Discworld enviroment would be fun (think there exists an old game, but we need a new one).

11. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    There have been 4 Discworld games thus far, the latest isn't that old. Anyway, any games made with IE would have to abide by the AD&D rules which is something Discworld could hardly do.

12. Nobleman Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

cyberpunk? Neat idea, but I think the action is to hyped up for the Infinity engine. Things can happen at great distances and in high speed. I think the strong side of the Infinity engine is to schedule a close environment. What I hated In fallout was combat. I loved everything else. And cyberpunk is one long friday night firefight (quote the book) for survival.

13. Azirath Gems: 6/31

What about a game simply set in middle-earth? It would not have to have the same story.

14. Alyr Arkhon Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Yes, a game on Middle-earth will be great, though there were some problems with dungeons and dragons rules. I think, you must make great changes to apply the system to the world of Middle Earth

15. Azirath Gems: 6/31

Not neccessarily. I think the 3rd edition rules apply well, although it may be a bit much in the game, at the very least i have undertaken to make a pnp middle-earth campaign.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.