1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

New player - mod recommendations, etc.

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by jiansonz, Jul 12, 2018 at 3:43 PM.

1. jiansonz Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Veteran

Hi all!

I bought IWD 2 as part of a 3-in-1 box a couple of years ago. I plan to play it for the first time soon.

I've played a lot of BG and BG2, and played through 'vanilla' IWD a few times (currently on my first run with the HoW expansion, with some minor mods) so I am very familiar with AD&D 2nd edition rules. I've skimmed through the IWD 2 manual and see that IWD 2 uses an adaptation of 3rd edition rules. Will be interesting, I suppose.

Now to the questions. I am interested in mods that:
    - fix bugs (latest patch, I suppose. Anything else?)
    - restore planned-but-never-finished content (along the lines of the Unfinished Business mods that exist for the BG games and IWD 1)
    - add bonus merchants/items that come with "Collector's edition" version of the game.
    - tweak certain stuff, like Stores Selling Bigger Stacks of Ammo (I will install the Tweaks Antology by the Gibbelings Three - although most of its content doesn't apply to IWD2...)
    - add minor quests, especially to the early game (think Jastey's 'Mini Quests and Encounters' for BG). If such a mod introduces new items, I don't want them to be too powerful.

So, in light of my situation, what would you recommend?

2. SlickRCBD Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Resourceful Veteran

Media:
    Well, the G3 Fixpack and the G3 Tweak pack are must-haves, or their predecessors the Ease-of-Use patch. Just the item stacking and bottomless containers alone is worth it (provided by the predecessor Ease-of-Use).
    You can get the collector's edition stuff from this website.

I'm not aware of an Unfinished Business for IWD2, but I haven't kept up with the latest mods in a while.

3. jiansonz Gems: 2/31

Veteran

Thanks.

Looks like I am pretty well set with the patch, the bonus stuff and the G3 Tweaks Anotolgy then. (Didn't find any G3 Fixpack for IWD 2.)

I found some decent portraits packs, though.

I may be a little weird, but I kind of like the 'inventory management game', at least for a first playthrough. I want unlimited gem stacking and that ammo stacks in packs of 120, but I don't want unlimited potion- or scrolls stacking or bottomless containers...

4. SlickRCBD Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Resourceful Veteran

Media:
    Well, with potions, you still have the weight limit. They hand-wave it for gems, GP, ammo, and scrolls, but everything else still counts against your weight limit for things NOT in the Bag of Holding.

5. Laclongquan Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Veteran

My suggestion is to grasp every potion bags, scroll case, gem bags come along. Every last one of them.

I have to sell normal and extra heal potions quite a lot. Like, at the Underdark merchant I sold 50 extra heals, just for example. And sell buncha gems.

I know, at the time you might feel like it's extraneous...

6. jiansonz Gems: 2/31

Veteran

Alright, I'll certainly do that.
    The good stuff is often expensive, and if the depreciation (sp?) works like in similar games, you often want to sell as large batch as possible the first time you sell a certain type of item to a particular vendor.

I've just created my party, and our total wealth is 126 gold and six stupid quarter staves (that neither of us favour as a weapon, but it's better than fists, I suppose).

We're going to the Underdark at some time?!
    Jeebers, I hope the game lets us gain, like, 20 levels or so before that happens...

7. jiansonz Gems: 2/31

Veteran

Okay, a couple of more questions now that I have started off. Still on the first map, but we have gotten hold of some (very) basic gear and visited a couple of buildings.

* Spontaneous casting. From the manual: "Clerics can convert their currently memorized spells into healing spells (if good) or inflict spells (if evil) when the player shift-L-clicks on a spell at the time of casting."

Sounds quite useful, almost like a small taste of how a Sorcerer works. :)

How does one do this, exactly? I don't know if I am dense, but I think the wording is more than a little vague. 'At the time of casting', does that mean 'while the spell chanting goes on'? Or does it mean I should do a shift-L-click instead of just a L-click when I select what spell to cast. But to me, that clicking is something that happens before 'the time of casting'. ??

My Cleric is Neutral. Can she do spontaneous casting? If yes, will she do healing or inflicting? Or can I choose which one?

Can remaining Domain spells be converted in the same way?

Can Druids do spontaneous casting?

* Bard spells, do they need to be scribed from scrolls or will I gain automatic access to them like a priest?

* (This is very minor and doesn't matter after the party's very first rest, but...)
    Is it not possible to pick more than one of a particular spell (e.g. 2x Cure Light Wounds) to have memorized at the start of the game?

Sorcerer's Place is an independent project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of time and money on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!