1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

New Laptop

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Munchkin Blender, Sep 4, 2011.

1. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Recently I decided it was time to get a new PC. I was not sure if I wanted to get a high end laptop or build my own rig again. After much research I decided on a high end gaming laptop. I did a bunch of research and decided on the Asus G74-BBK7 model at Best Buy. The price to performance ratio was great. I removed the old AMD Phenom triple core desktop and my new laptop is now in its place.

The laptop comes with 2nd generation Intel i-7 Quad Core processor, 8GB of RAM, 2 500GB SATA Hard drives, a tweak down 560M GTX GPU, DVD writer and a 1600 x 900 screen. I could have taken a slightly less machine that contain 1080P screen and a blu-ray drive, but given that I own 3 blu-ray players and two 1080P tv, which the laptop can connect to thanks to a HDMI port, I saw no reason to go with a machine that had slightly weaker system performance for enhanced visual performance. I did try looking at Best Buy for a machine that could be close to Asus but at least nothing. So I purchased the Asus.

I also considered a desktop but after selecting all the good quality parts to build a similar system the cost was around $900-1200 plus shipping without a monitor. Considering that the Asus was a complete desktop replacement it made more sense.

So far so good. This machine screams compared to my old one.

As for system heat; Asus did an awesome job with finding a way to push the heat out of the laptop. Yesterday when I was going through all of the initial setup with it on my lap I barely felt any heat after two hours. Compared to my wife's laptop I cannot have it on my lap for more than a minute or two before I need to take it off because it is so hot.

My new toy should hopefully last at least 5 years or close to it.

2. Taza

Taza Weird Modmaker Veteran

It's a fantastic system specifically because of the heat management.

3. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

The G74 definitely has a great cooling system. If my local Best Buy had a G73 model for sale I would have considered that laptop for $150 less than the one I bought but they didn’t.

The difference between the G73 and G74 Best Buy models are small. The G73 has one 750GB HD vs. 2 500 GB HD in the G74, 1GB 460 GTX GPU (nerfed) vs 2GB 560 GTX GUP (nerfed), 2.0 MP Web Cam vs. 1.0MP Web Cam (I don’t understand why the G74 BB model Web Cam was nerfed here compared to the prior model), and the cooling system. The G74 has an improved cooling system that keeps the system really cool that provides users the ability to overclock the CPU and GPU.

I almost bought the Asus G53 (15” laptop) model that New Egg recently had with free shipping. It was $100 more than the Asus G74 I bought but it has a 1080P screen, BD drive and a non-nerfed Nvidia 560 GTX. However, it only had 1 500 GB HD and a smaller screen. The screen size and extra HD along with the lower cost is why I decided to go with the Best Buy G74 model. The GPU in the best buy model performance almost identical to the non-nerfed model when running games at its largest screen size of 1600x900 when compared to the 1900 x 1080p resolution of the non-nerfed Asus models.

Thanks to my work I was able to order Microsoft Office Professional 2010 for $25 and I purchased a Targus Clamshell 18.4” laptop case for $35 that comes with a free a wireless mouse that I may leave in the bag for the days I don’t want to use the mouse pad when I’m on the road with the laptop.

My total cost for laptop bag, Office 2010 Prof, Gaming Laptop, 2 year of anti-virus was under $1230 with tax and all. Not bad if you ask me.

The laptop sits on the desk where the monitor for the old desktop use to rest. The Logic-tech slim keyboard and mouse are plugged into the laptop along with the HP printer and speakers. Wires that use to clutter my desk are now gone. :) In the place of wires is open space, which makes the room look cleaner.

Since the laptop is a desktop replacement we are considering purchasing a 20+” widescreen 1080p+ monitor that uses HDMI. At this time we continue to use screen of the laptop even though that may change in the future.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.