1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

New Headset

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by olimikrig, Feb 9, 2014.

1. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I'm looking to buy a new headset, and would like to hear if you have any recommendations?

Currently I own a g930, but after a fall to the floor one of the earmuffs has come loose, and it can no longer be fitted on my head properly.
    I am not overly impressed with this headset. I have had a lot of problems with the sound being scratchy, and after having tried several solutions proposed online, I am no better off.
    And truth be told, I've never really made much use of the virtual 7.1 surround sound.
    The only real good things I have to say about it is that the wireless signal is good and strong, (I've never had it drop out on me) and that the battery lasts a good long while, so I can usually charge it between gaming sessions (and even when I cannot, it can easily be charged while playing via a wired usb connection).

I do not currently have a price range, so I am open to pretty much all suggestions (although I'd like to keep the price at a reasonable level. I am most concerned with quality however).

The only real requirement that I have is that it must have a microphone. I use Skype a lot to talk with my friends while gaming, and I do not want to have a separate microphone.

So to wrap things up:
    • It does not have to be a surround sound headset.
    • It does not have to be wireless (although this would be preferred).
    • It must have a microphone.
    • It should be comfortable to wear.
    • I am willing to pay for good quality, though I am not adverse to go for the "bang for the buck" (no reason to pay large amounts when you can get great quality cheaper).

Keep in mind that I do not have a separate sound card installed; I use the on-board sound of my GA-X58A-UD3R (rev. 2.0)

Last edited: Feb 9, 2014
  2. Topken

Topken Elven-dragon wizard

Could give the Steelseries Siberia V2 a try I have heard great things about the headset. Comes in both a USB and NonUSB version I linked the nonUSB version for you

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003N636VI

olimikrig likes this.
  3. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I've got the Steelseries Siberia V2 and it's a decent headphone. I don't really have another headphone to compare it with, but the sound is decent - for gaming and talking, not that great for listening to music. Generally people find that I'm talking too softly, even with the mic volume turned all the way up in Windows. It's apparently ok if I put the mic right in front of my mouth, but then you get all the breathing noises as well, which isn't nice.

olimikrig likes this.
  4. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Cm storm Sirus 5.1
    Razer carcharias 2.1
    asus hs w1 2.1
    Logitech g 35
    sennheiser pc 350 special edition.

olimikrig likes this.
  5. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Thanks a for the recommendations :)

Merlanni, are there one or two of those above which you would recommend above the others? or are they all about equal?

6. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
  7. olimikrig

Media:
    - It will be used primarily for gaming. Also movies from time to time. I do not listen to Music on my computer.
    - I would like it to cover the entire ear
    - I would prefer a truer bass (but I am not too fussed about it)
    - I would like it to shield all sound.

8. Arkite

Arkite Crash or crash through Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Was hunting for a headset a little while ago, if you already have a pair of headphones you like then you could do what I did.... Stuck with the old awesome headphones and just got a $10 headset hanging around my neck with the mic aimed at my face. The headset is one of those thin commercial/call center ones that wrap around the back of your head, so the outgoing/mic sound quality is far better than the incoming/headphone sound. Of course the incoming quality of the headset doesn't bother me because I have my amazing headphones on.

My headphones are just a decent Philips pair, noise cancelling, enclose the whole ear without rubbing anything the wrong way. Never had any problems with sweat, pain or discomfort with these, no matter how long I've had them on.

9. Merlanni

Media:
    3 good sets with over ear:

http://us.hardware.info/productinfo/129529/cm-storm-sirus-51-gaming-headset

a good fourth is the senhheiser mentioned earlier, although that one delivers not as good on the music part.

---------- Added 0 hours, 6 minutes and 39 seconds later... ----------

An not forgetting creative 3 d tactic

If I am to buy one now, and setting my razer fanboy-ism aside. I will get the cm storm 5.1

olimikrig likes this.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.