1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

New fantasy books.

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Svyatoslav, Aug 6, 2005.

1. Svyatoslav Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

I already read Tracy Hickmamn's and Margaret Weis's Dragons trilogy; Salvatore's Dark Elf Trilogy, and I am at the third book of his other trilogy which ends with "Siege of Darkness".
    I wanted some advices in what getting next. I want high adventure stuff. Nothing like "lets save the World" crap, just pure RPG fanfare with dungeon exploration, magical items, monsters slain, etc. Just a party of friends going out for adventure.
    I am not interested in books with romances either. I guess you get the idea...
    Thanks in advance.

2. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Sorry, can't help, because I prefer stuff like Robin Hobb at the moment, and that has romance in it, and only a very minor dungeon sequence.

3. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Well, have you read The Hitch Hikers Guide to Galaxy or the Discworld novels? They are pretty fun to read. ;)

[ August 06, 2005, 14:43: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Svyatoslav, http://www.sorcerers.net/Books/index.php

The sections there that fit what you're looking for: Forgotten Realms, Eberron, Dragonlance, Greyhawk, Dungeons & Dragons, and to an extent Terry Pratchett and David Gemmell. Probably some others as well, but I haven't read everything listed there yet. ;)

5. Svyatoslav Gems: 12/31

Haha. Thanks, but there is so much! Any personal favourites?

6. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Terry Pratchett, definitely... And anything by R. A. Salvatore is usually pretty decent. Of the FR books the ones I'd definitely recommend to everyone are the Avatar Series, The Moonshae Trilogy, The Elminster Series (but skip El in Hell, it's godawful), The Cormyr Saga, the whole series by Salvatore (just stop when it starts to bore you), War of the Spider Queen, Evermeet, The Lost Gods. These I can recommend as I've read most of them and I know they're good enough, but there are many others listed and you can just start with the first book and go from there if you find it entertaining.

7. Wordplay Gems: 29/31

If you can forgive him for making his protagonists so "heroic" that it is bordering the line of satire. His works are exactly that "lets save the World crap." But truth to tell, I did consider naming it too. Much like in the case of "The Wheel of Time." :xx:

8. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I don't personally like Salvatore but his books do seem to fit the description of the type that you are looking for.

9. Svyatoslav Gems: 12/31

By "Lets save the World crap" I meant literally. R.A. Salvatore does not fit in this classification - at least the ones I read. Tracy Hickman's and Margaret Weiss Dragons trilogy was what I had in mind. It was a quest for World's sake.

10. Newfie Banned

Pick up Robert E. Howard's Conan and don't make the mistake of picking Robert Jordan's crappy version.

11. Wordplay Gems: 29/31

So "Conan the Barbarian" is still readable? Isn't it a bit... old? I have tried to read Robinson Crusoe, the Three Musketeers, Oz, and others, but they all are simply so old fashioned that reading them is like reading a philosophy novel. :hmm:

12. Svyatoslav Gems: 12/31

I dont think there is too old when it comes to books. What about all those great classical books?

13. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

definitely.

'fraid I'm with HB on this one. My reading list is all hobb right now and hopefully if I come up with some cash, Erikson as well.

14. Newfie Banned

Howard's Conan set the stage for a lot of fantasy writing. His frantic pace discussing action sequences and vivid description of setting makes it still worth the read. The only fantasy writer I find that can compare to him, in my opinion, is Salvatore.

15. Thor Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Speaking of Salvatore, his Demon Wars series are way better than the Drizzt series IMO. I'd recommend those warmly! Haven't read the last ones, but the first three are excellent! And the heroes aren't as legendary as in the drizzt series, here they actually might die.

It's rather let's go save the world though but i think you'll find it very readable anyhow :)

[edit] Come to think of it, there's also a fair share of romance there... Fail on both accounts there... But still, my recommandation stands! ;)

16. khaavern Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Andrew Offutt's Shadowspawn books. One of them is "The Shadow of Sorcery" I don't remember the title for the other one. It might even be called "Shadowspawn". You can also try any book set in the Thieves World universe. Many authors write books in this setting, similar to the Forgotten Realms series. Offutt is one of the best of them, in my opinion.

Also, any book from Fritz Leiber's Lankhmar series (Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser). Really, this is one of the best Swords and Sorcery series. Come to think of it, Tal, I do not think you have these books available through SP. You might consider it (they are quite old, so I do not know if this is a viable option). But these books are really clasic, some of the best stuff around. Beats Forgotten Realms stuff easily.

17. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Thor, the demonwar books turn from decent to utterly horrid crap too vile to burn cause the vapours would wipe out humanity.

I found Leiber to be a real disapointment, didnt like it at all.

18. khaavern Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Well, is a matter of taste, I guess. Still, I stand by my opinion :) IMHO, Leiber is for Swords and Sorcery what Tolkien is for Fantasy.

19. Newfie Banned

I have tried to read Leiber's "Swords against" stuff and could not plow through them except for "Ill met in Lankhmar" which was great.

20. Svyatoslav Gems: 12/31

I have seen the following Terry Pratchett books for sale on the bookstore: The Light Fantastic; Mort; Equal Rights; Wyrd Sisters and The Colour of Magic. Any personal favourites?
    By the way, I get the impression these books are more on the "childish" side. No, it is not a problem to me, as I like Harry Potter, I just want to be sure.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.