1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

New BG2 Sorcerer game - party questions

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Lazy Bonzo, Jul 18, 2008.

1. Lazy Bonzo Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

[​IMG] I've decided to play through BG2:SOA->TOB again but wanted to try something different for my main PC. Normally I play as a fighter or fighter-kit and act as the main tank, this time I'm thinking of going as Sorcerer.

Couple questions as it's been years since I last played bg2, is there any alignment or race that is more suited to sorcerer than others, i was thinking of going with neutral maybe chaotic-neutral elven but it's been a while so can't remember any restrictions.

Party-wise i'm thinking of:

My Sorcerer
    Minsc (for tankness and humour)
    Jaheria (for druid/healing)
    Edwin (for secondary mage firepower)
    ???
    ???

I will need some sort of thief and probably another tank as otherwise i fear I shall be overrun while trying to make pretty balls of light blast my foes into ash.

Any thoughts / recommendations?

If there's any good mod/new characters then I'll give them a go as well - i'm intrigued by the Unfinished Business Mod...

2. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    So long as you play as a human, elf or half-elf, it doesn't really matter what race you go for (the others cannot be sorcerers). The only real affect alignment will have is what kind of familiar you can summon, should you choose to do so. As none of them are exceptional, go with whatever alignment you feel suits the character best.

A thought on your current party members- without a mod installed to prevent it, Minsc and Edwin will eventually come to blows.

He is rather arrogant and many people don't like him, but perhaps Anomen would fit in well? He can double as a tank and provides secondary divine casting, as well as Turn Undead. All the thieves in the game (other than Yoshimo) are also partly mages, so you could swap Edwin for (as an example) Jan. Fulfils your thievery requirements and you should still be able to throw out quite a few spells.

Some people like rotating the other party slot, which may appeal to you, but I've never been much of a fan of it. If you are really into spells, Haer'Dalis could fit in pretty well. I've always liked Keldorn, but I suppose a Paladin wouldn't really approve of a morally undecided party. What sort of playing style do you favour?

3. Amdis

Amdis Note to self, claws are not toothpicks

Well if you do not mind installing a NPC mod for a thief then you could take a look at http://spellholdstudios.net/ie/fade.

I have her in my current party aswell and she is a very great NPC. :D

4. Lazy Bonzo Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Thanks for the replies,

@Decados, I was planning on using happy group to prevent potential conflicts

I had forgotten all about Jan or as you say any of the other thief/mages so that should solve some problems. I've had Keldorn and Anomen in my party in the past but never grown to love either for various reasons but anomen's tank-ability might be useful..

@Amdis, Fade looks interesting although I notice she's listed as SOA only on that website, have you used her in ToB?

5. Amdis

Amdis Note to self, claws are not toothpicks

Well as far as i know/remember her romance does carry on in ToB, but it has been a while since i hat her in my game though. So i wouldn't want to bet my life on it..although i'm about 80% sure. :)

EDIT: I just checked the faq for Fade on spellhold and i was correct, according to the faq her romance does carry on in ToB.

http://www.shsforums.net/index.php?showtopic=23426

Just scroll down abit. :)

6. Boy at a busstop Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

How about adding Mazzy to that roster? I don't know if you've played her often, but she might be a decent distration from your usual party.

Familiarwise I like the rabbit (TN) and the cat (CN). The rabbit just for it's dialogue and the cat for having 100% stealth, ideal for scouting ahead.

7. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    Mazzy could be an interesting alternative- she's often overlooked (admittedly, I'm just as guilty as the majority here).

Fade has one of my favourite romances, but the ToB portion of the mod is currently incomplete, unfortunately. With Mistress E's disappearance from modding, this probably won't be changing in the immediate future. Still, she is one to consider.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.