1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Neverwinter Nights Forum Update

Discussion in 'Game/SP News & Comments' started by NewsPro, Sep 19, 2001.

1. NewsPro Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

(Originally posted by Darien)

Trent Oster, Producer:

Familiars:
    The largest advantage to a hawk familiar is the movement speed of the hawk. While scouting, a hawk familiar could move much faster than another type of creature.

In answer to the first question, yes, you can stuff your familiar into your backpack, almost like a figurine of wondrous power. Keeps the little guys from getting smoked all the time.

Custom Spells: As features continue to be added the code becomes "brittle". The more features, the easier it becomes to crash the game or get an unexpected behavior.

With the idea for the custom spell, we spoke about that quite early on in development and stepped away from the idea due to the inconsistent nature of it. i.e. I cast the custom spell on one server and it kills everyone in the area, pretty good 1st level spell. Next module I wait and pick the 9th level custom spell and it casts light. The next server could hold even different possibilities.

Right Handed: Due to the complexity of the combat system, we don't have the time to implement left handed dominant characters. Every character in NWN is assumed to be right handed.

Rob Bartel, Co-Lead Designer:

Placeable Objects:
    Just to clarify on the placeable objects, you can place them with the same degree of freedom as you can a creature or an item. That means that you can place them in an arbitrary location (no need to have it 'snap' to a predefined grid), you can rotate the direction in which they're facing, and so forth.

That said, for pathfinding reasons, I think that we'll be limiting people to somewhere around 3 placeables per tile.

Bob McCabe, Writing & Design:

Crunch Time:
    What can I say... hmm... :)

Every project has milestones, and sometimes, in order to maintain the schedule, you have to work a little harder for short periods of time. Then there's other times where you just get really obsessed with the work and you temporarily overdose on it :) Then, of course, there are times when the company crunches the last few weeks in order to finish off the project.

So, by this definition, we're not yet crunching - but we are working hard to get you your Neverwinter goodness :)

Possible Job Prospects: I'm not saying that we ARE going to hire someone based upon good module design, but should we have openings, and should we know of people who have consistently put forth excellent modules - the opportunity is certainly there. Search through the news archives at a site like Planet Neverwinter or the Neverwinter Vault - Rob Bartel had posted a tidbit on this topic not too long ago.

Reason for the Silence: I'm just popping in to confirm that our silence is a direct result of our extra hours put in at the office (I've been doing about 65 hours a week for the last few; of course, people like Trent and the various leads, for example, routinely put in those amount of hours or more).

But don't worry, we're going to continue to maintain a board presence (the community discussions are invaluable, even when we're not posting), and, of course, there will be chats and updates in the future - but they might be coming a little bit slower for now.

Brent Knowles, Co-Lead Designer:

Cleric Domains and Gods:
    You will choose the domains for your cleric at character creation but the choice of god is not relevant. To keep the system as flexible as possible the player does not need to choose a god. We will have a list of gods to choose from (the choice is only superficial however) or you can add any god name you want.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2018
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.