1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Neverwinter Nights Board Update

Discussion in 'Game/SP News & Comments' started by NewsPro, Apr 28, 2001.

1. NewsPro Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

(Originally posted by Darien)

Here are some developers' comments from the official Neverwinter Nights message boards.

Rob Bartel, Co-Lead Designer:

The storyline: We finished creating extensive outlines (approx. 30 pages per outline) for each of our modules last September or so. In February, we were writing prototype conversation for some of the modules in the first chapter. It's important to note that these were done in a word processor, using hypertext links, not in the actual toolset.

We're currently transfering the prototype conversations into the actual conversation editor, using that as a means to quickly hunt down bugs (I thought I finished the conversation for one of my modules today, for instance, only to find that a bug had corrupted a bunch of my files).

So, yes, you could say that we've been 'creating the storyline' for many months, now, but it's really an iterative, piecemeal process that will still be continuing well into the future. This is a normal process for a new engine game and nothing to get alarmed about.
    Script crashing: The scripting language is powerful and gives broad access to the game and engine. This will allow bad scripts to make a mess, but the scripting language will have a few safety features to stop endless loops and other problems. I would recommend solid testing before you release scripts though. Good testing is the only way to be sure.

Trent Oster, Producer:

Module Size: To date the largest module I've seen so far is under 300k. With this said, we haven't attempted anything close to a final module in size. I'd guess between 1-5 mb for a larger module.

Screen artwork: The interface in NWN is very "minimalist". We deliberately went for a very lean Gui. Our goal is to leave as much screen real estate open for gameplay as possible while presenting all the required data

The game will feature a number of hand drawn stills for module starts and endings and a huge variety of hand painted user portraits. All the Inventory items are also hand painted with matching 3D models in-game.

Mac OS X: The game was working on the Mac until we found out about OS X. The Carbonizing effort hasn't been massive, but it has had a fair number of headaches. For the longest time we couldn't get mouse input. In short, the OS X port pushed the Mac port further behind, but through hard work our local expert has almost caught back up.

Good show Howard.

On the internationalization area, we are doing most of the multi-language support in NWN, so it should be one app, many languages.

Publishing the Scripting Language: We will start opening up more about the scripting language as we get closer to ship. We have a habit of ripping things apart and reworking them so we're waiting until we're sure the language won't change too much before we release a ton of information.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2018
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.