1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Never played ToEE, best to start with it or KoTB?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by tarasis, Aug 11, 2014.

1. tarasis Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] Hi,

Having been playing Divinity Original Sin recently (a lot), its got me in the mood for finally trying Temple of Elemental Evil and its turn based combat.

I intend to play with the CO8 mod in place for the fixes, but I'm curious if I might be best to start with the Keep on the Borderlands module to get a feel for the game mechanics and such, before then playing ToEE itself?

Any thoughts? (and Many thanks for them)

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I haven't played Keep on the Borderlands, but ToEE with the Co8 mods and additional content was great fun.

tarasis likes this.
  3. Keneth Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    It depends. On the one hand, KotB is pretty great. On the other hand, OC might feel a bit lackluster if you play KotB before that.

Also, ToEE is pretty hardcore D&D. Neither OC nor KotB are particularly hard, but it's still fairly easy to mess up your character(s). OC kinda counters that with overpowered items and companions though. If you're not an experienced D&D player, you might want to consider looking up a class guide online or ask for pointers before you get going.

Also, I wrote a short, and somewhat humorous, recap of my experience playing ToEE a few years back. I think it's fairly spoiler-free if you feel like giving it a read over at the Co8 forum.

tarasis likes this.
  4. tarasis Gems: 1/31

Thanks To you both. Keneth I see what you mean about KotB possibly making the original feel lacklustre. I was thinking as it should be shorter it would just be a better intro.

I used to play D&D many years ago as Pen & Paper, I've finished Baldur's Gate years ago but never got far into BG2 as I was burned out from playing BG1 rather thoroughly. I've touched/bought a few other Crpgs over the years but not yet played/finished any (IWD, IWD2, PST, Wizardry 6-8, Divine Divinity, Arcanum, Fallout 1&2 and a couple of others) but playing D:OS has really fired me up to get back to playing those games / starting them finally. I was about half way through IWD when I stopped playing a year back.

Anyway I will check your recap out, just need to finish packing for a holiday first :)

5. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I think ToEE is probably a bit more accessible than KotB at this point. KotB has added a lot of additional skills and features, which aren't necessarily well documented or obvious at first.

So if you're concerned at all about the learning curve, starting with the ToEE probably makes sense. And you can tack on the additional stuff once you get to KotB.

Quite a bit of non-Atari content between the 2, which equals a ton of additional game play.

6. tarasis Gems: 1/31

Cheers for the answer, apologies for the delay I'm actually on holiday at the moment. From what you say I'll leave KotB for now. Thank you.

7. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I just fired this up for the first time in a decade, added the Co8 new content and am having a blast. It's better than I remember, due, I'm sure in no small part, to the really hard work of the Co8 folks. (Thanks Gaear!)

8. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    Hate to admit it, but I've never really gotten that far into ToEE due to the small fonts. I found a semi work-around by adjusting the display DPI, but I have to set it to absurd levels for my decaying eyesight.

That said, I played P&P AD&D 2.0 from 1990-1997, and had previously played Icewind Dale II and Pool of Radiance2: Ruins of Myth Drannor along with the Gold Box games, and the 2E Infinity Engine games.
    Yet I still got massacred due to some bad build choices the first time I played as it is far less forgiving.
    You're pretty much obligated to power game.

None of my DMs were ever that hardcore and put the parties in that much danger that you had to go all out every fight.

Maybe it gets easier once you level up a bit, but it really showed how fragile 1st and 2nd level characters are. If you hated the beginning of Baldur's Gate I when you've just escaped Candlekeep and are heading to the Friendly Arms Inn while running from wolves, you'll find ToEE even worse.

Normally I'd have persevered, but I was getting eyestrain. It can be compensated for by changing the display DPI, but that is a system wide change and also messes up the icons on my desktop due to there being too many of them. Changing it back is a pain.
    I'd have done it anyways if I could have played on anything except my newest and best computer that I needed for other things, but I've only got two functioning Windows desktop, and one is nearly fourteen years old as of 2014.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.