1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Nervous habits

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Rotku, Aug 5, 2003.

1. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Do you have any? I mean when you're really nervous. Do you chew your nails? Click your fingers? Or what?

Personally, when ever I'm nervour I chew chewing gum like mad.

[ August 05, 2003, 19:29: Message edited by: Blackthorne TA ]

2. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

I'm rarely ever nervous, only sometimes when my favourite footballteam has an important match coming up. When that's the case i find myself smoking non stop.

3. Loerand

Loerand My heart holds no fear for death

I just tend to get very, very warm. And I'll just sit still looking down at the floor...

4. Dave the Magic Turtle Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Veteran

Media:
    when I'm nervouse, and sat down my right leg kind of starts moving up and down repeatedly and I can't stop it. If I'm standing up I just keep moving.

5. Oxymore Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I yawn.

6. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I'm rapidly tapping my foot to the ground.
    Sometimes I'm inclined to puke. Well, it never comes that far, it's just an inclination. Pretty weird though, since I'm not nervous that quickly, nor that often.
    I went to the dental surge whistling.

7. Mesmero

Mesmero How'd an old elf get the blues?

I rub my hands when I'm nervous, or feel uncomfortable.

8. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    I pick at my cuticles. Ick.

9. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    When I'm nervous, I fold my right arm and lift the wrist, much like defensive fencing position.

I also begin to feel a bit nauseous sometimes and tighten-untighten my fingers repeatedly (also helpful when I'm feeling nauseous for other reasons ;) ). Releases the tention and helps concentrate. In extreme cases I prick my palm with the other other palm's fingernails. Self-control costs a bit if you're for example having a debate against twenty hopelessly flawed minds or have to use diplomatic methods where someone plainly deserves punishment. It also provides distraction from major pain in some other part of the body. Plus, I make a special use of it in gaze duels ;)

Finally, it's not an uncommon sight to see me almost dead and clinging to some coffee cup :D

At parties, I simply take another shot of booze or bottle of beer when I feel nervous (bad, very bad).

In social situations, I stop simplifying my language to be understood better, like I very often do.

Finally, when adrenaline level is very high, I sometimes react with extreme levels of concentration. From not hearing any sound around, or hearing just about everything you shouldn't normally hear, through reading 150 pages/minute, typing like a madman, prolonged fencing session with lots of exhausting maneuvres etc etc to forcing someone to turn his sight instantly or speak the truth. It always makes a nice tale for a rainy day, hehe. It's, however, not as nice when I wake up the next day and can't move :D

10. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I wring my hands together.

11. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    Not so much a nervous habit as one out of boredom... While at the office, I tap the "Refresh" key on my SP browser window every few minutes! :lol: ;) :roll:

12. Falstaff

Falstaff Sleep is for the Weak of Will Veteran

I'm a nail-biter. That is, if I have any nails left to bite. And if I am really nervous, I don't sleep. I could be completely exhausted, and still lay awake worrying about something that is making me nervous all night (or until I can convince myself to calm down).

That and I pace. A lot. Back and forth. People hate it. It is annoying. Like lots of short sentences. Over and over. And again.

13. Eze Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I used to chew my nails, but now I just tap my fingers or my foot.

14. Sephiroth Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

If I get nervous, my heart starts to beat very fast.

15. iLLusioN' Gems: 16/31

It really depends on the situation for me. If it has to do with baseball i just zone out, by that i mean i block out all sounds and focus on what im supposed to do. In other situations i do several things, though not all at the same time(thank god). I chew my nails, tap my foot, keep moving , yawn, read(i always have a book with me), or just take a quick nap(i dont know how i can sleep when im nervous but i can, prolly has to do with the fact that im always nervous my reading teachers gonna get me in trouble for reading again)

16. Faragon Gems: 25/31

Veteran

Whistling or singing. I occasionally practice with my sword for focus. Otherwise I just sit around being nervous. If I'm 'just' nervous, I tend to get very introvert, very silent. And then suddenly burst out the moment someone or something annoys me.

17. Valkyrie Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

When I had post traumatic stress I threw up a lot. But I'm over that and now I just tug or rub my nose once and while when I'm nervous. I think I do that to hide my face because I tend to blush or get pale. I also clench my hands into fists

18. Frostbite Gems: 16/31

19. Shell

Shell Awww, come and give me a big hug!

Media:
    I bite my nails and jog my leg up and down. Not both together though ;)

20. Faragon Gems: 25/31

Veteran

Oh yeah, when I'm nervous, my stomach acts up. If it's really bad, I can't eat anything for days. There's also the constant feeling of having to puke.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.