1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Need technical help with video driver

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Dice, Apr 14, 2004.

1. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    We have a Hp Pavillion 511n computer with a Nvidia Geforce fx5200 video card PCI installed. Here is the problem. The video card used to have the video driver 52.16 and then it was updated to driver 56.72. The newer driver had some issues with a game.We rolled back the driver to 52.16 and that was working well. We applied another update to the graphic card and it was the driver 53.04 and it was ok, but the real trouble was in the c:local disk. There appeared 2 folders. One folder had the name "Nvidia" (this one for the driver53.04) and another folder had the name "Nvidia Driver"(this one for the driver56.72) We accidently removed the program called "Nvidia Driver version 56.72 in the Add/Remove Programs of the computer When it prompted us to restart the computer we restarted it manually rather than do it automatically. When the changes took, the resolution changed from 1280x1024 to 800x600. When we checked the Device Manager we found that the adapter from the factory was Disabled and the adapter from the Nvidia was enabled but we got a yellow question mark under monitors. When we restarted the computer again we got a black screen after the windows loading screen.

What we would like to know is if there is a way to restart the computer and get into a "Safe Mode" to fix the conflict rather than having to do a complete system recovery?

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Your best bet is to go into Safe Mode (keep hitting F9 before your computer starts loading Windows, until you get a prompt for it), then uninstall all of the Nvidia drivers. Then reboot into regular Windows and pick one driver you want to install, and install that one.

3. Dice

Media:
    Thanks Tal, we'll give that a try. :)

Ok, computer open in safe mode, then we saw 2 adapters the one of the Nvidia and another for a Vga adapter,this in the Display Properties, the Nvidia show the driver version but the Vga adapter in properties shows nothing,no location ,no driver,...
    So the Tab of "Device usage"was changed to "Do not use this Device"(disable)" then the computer was restarted with out uninstall any driver,with no results the black screen is still there:(
    The situation is this now, when trying to access again safe mode to fix that mistake,and enable that Vga adapter again, F9 it's press, the window to activate Safe Mod appears but now the computer get stuck in the window of the list of partitions,without no prompting the Administrator or Owner window, :(
    At the time im typing this message the other computer it's still in the partitions window, what can be done,Thank you for your help and support.

[ April 14, 2004, 22:45: Message edited by: Dragonfly ]

4. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

This is what I would try:

1) Remove everything related to the driver; nVIDIA folders and drivers (via uninstall). From component manager, all VGA-PCI related entries.

2) Reboot, let the comp decide what crap it wants, then use the official installer.

3) If above did not work, I'd try swapping the PCI slot; there might be a memory/IRQ problem.

4) If it still does not work, I would uninstall the whole damn crap and try Linux for change. :D

Of course, remember to check that you have:

a) Newest, CORRECT driver
    b) Other devices are correctly working (rem. IRQ)
    c) Your display also has the newest driver.

And never forget those memory controllers; myself, had occasional crashes on my old comp for some time, before finding out that the SCSI driver was faulty :mad:

5. Dice

Media:
    [​IMG] Thanks TAL and Virne.

What I would like to know if there's a way to access the Administrator and Owner,because via F9 SAFE MODE the screen HANGS in the partitions.
    I just can't open the desktop to manage the START option.

[ April 15, 2004, 05:30: Message edited by: Dragonfly ]

6. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    You can also do it via the Control Panel / User Accounts. You can get to the CP via My Computer, if you don't have a shortcut on the desktop.

7. Ahrontil Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I think what you are saying is that you cannot get as far as the desktop.

I don't know which operating system you are using Win XP, Win 98, Win ME?

If it is Win XP (it sounds like it is), then it is possible (on modern computers) to enter the computer's BIOS at startup (method varies according to BIOS used) and alter the boot sequence so that the computer boots from the XP CD in your CDROM drive ( normally CDROM or D: ). Then after saving this BIOS change and rebooting, watch out for the display screen that says press any key to boot from CD, it only lasts a short while.

It sounds as though your computer has a corrupt FAT table (Hard Drive directory tree) so if you do manage to enter windows, scan your Hard Drive for errors (due to the comp being shutdown using the power switch).

Re-enable the VGA device (even though it has probably little to do with the problem).

Let us know if you get this far.

If not, it would help if you could say:

Do you have an AWARD or AMI BIOS (Shown on DOS boot screen image)?
    Does the 'factory' adaptor mean an onboard or previous video card?

If you do get the comp up, running and scanned in safe mode, reinstall the original Nvidia drivers also in safe mode.

[ April 15, 2004, 04:29: Message edited by: Bluin ]

8. Dice

Media:
    Bluin,
    Yes we are using XP (home edition). When we go into the Bios screen under the "Boot" option we have only two choices. One says "Boot-time Diagnostic Screen (Disabled)" and the other option says "Quickboot Mode (Enabled)"

Were you suggesting we try one of those options?

There is another option on the bottom of the main Bios screen that says "F5" Loads factory installed Setup Default values. We were wondering if that might reset the original values without reformating the entire computer.

* When we turn on the computer we get the initial Windows XP graphic and a loading symbol and then it turns into a black screen instead of desktop.

* We pressed F8 to get into the windows advanced options menu to select safe mode. When safe mode was selected another text appeared. The text says "Please select the operating system to start" the only choice is "micosoft Whistler Personal" When we click enter on that option a list of lines apears down the entire screen and does not move. For example, one says "Multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\pciide.sys" There are many lines like that following. We can get no farther than that.

One other thing. When we were in safe mode before this happened we went to the display properties of the VGA adaptor and in the "adapter usage" we clicked on "do not use this device" (disabled)

[ April 15, 2004, 07:04: Message edited by: Dragonfly ]

9. Taluntain

Media:
    [​IMG] Uh, so basically you turned off the only graphic driver you had left? Well, then it's hardly any wonder all you get is a blank... Why on earth did you mess with the standard graphic driver? That's there as a failsafe and not to be touched. I have no idea what you could do now. But by what you described here, you have way more problems than Windows alone. You should contact the HP tech support and have the computer looked at.

10. Ahrontil Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

HP 511n support page. Check the FAQs.

Associated HP BIOS details page.
    http://h20015.www2.hp.com/en/document.jhtml?reg=&plc=en&lc=en&cc=gb&cat=faq&prodId=hppavilion77564&docName=buh07110.html

Quickfix

Beg, borrow or steal an old cheap PCI graphics card and plug it in. Your comp should boot in safe mode using this new card. This will allow you re-enable the VGA and reinstall the Nvidia drivers.

Slowfix

You need to repair your XP operating system. In order to do this you must have an XP CD and be able to boot from that CD.

Your BIOS details page states:
    If, as you say, this is wrong and you cannot change the order of the boot process. Then check if inserting a floppy disk into your machine interupts the normal boot process. If so, download the six Win XP boot floppies from MS and use them to boot into the XP options screen.

As I understand it you have two partitions on your hard disk, C: and D: , with Win XP installed on D: .

This is unusual unless you have (or had in the past) Win 98 installed on C: . If this is the case then you must back up certain files on C: so that Win98 is not lost as one of your dual boot options. More details available if required.

Once at the the XP options page skip the first repair option, hit install, accept the licence agreement, XP will look for previous install and then will come up with option to install, repair, or exit again, hit r for repair at this point. It should go through the repair. You will loose all your winxp updates but you programs data and settings should be unchanged.

[ April 15, 2004, 20:50: Message edited by: Bluin ]

11. Dice

Media:
    Everything is fixed now. My husband decided to reformat his computer.

By the way the (we) in this problem was my husband not me. He asked me to post on this forum for help and he is very grateful for the responses he got. You might have noticed that "my" grammer got very bad in one particular entry here. My husband's first language is not english so he still has a little trouble with grammer.

The advice was very good that we were given. My husband is still learning a lot about computers and it was accidental that he deleted the wrong drivers. The good thing is that he learned a lot from this mistake and will be more knowledgeable the next time something similar comes up.

Something else to note about this website and the people on these forums. My husband had also posted his dilemma on several other sites and had not gotten any responses. On this site we got responses fast. It's nice to know that this is a place to find help when you need it. Thank you again.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.