1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Need some advice on other Bioware Games.

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale (Classic)' started by Laurana, Mar 18, 2001.

1. Laurana Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Ok, I finally beat Shadow Of Amn, and I was exciting to play more, so I went to buy Icewind Dale, and boy was I disappointed. It's like, the game blogs your screen, I hate the 640X480 resolution, it's godawful. I love the character pictures though, very artisitic. I just want to know, has anyone played heart of winter, and does it make having or buying Icewind Dale worth it? I don't know, it's just more fun to have better options for characters, than just level 1 characters that die over and over, and spoils your fun.

2. Darien Noella Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
  4. toast Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I'd be nice if it hung around awhile first, as I had those exact same questions too, and I never frequent the IWD forum, as I'm sure most here don't either....

5. Bowie Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

[​IMG] I'm finding IWD:HOW very enjoyable for me. I purchased both IWD and HOW when they offered $10 off the sale prices when you buy them both. Having never played IWD by itself, I can't comment on the graphics, but I'm having no problem with the graphics in BG1. Sure they're a little outdated but, after playing for a while I don't even notice.

I think IWD:HOW is a great game to tone your skills in fighting in the BG type games. This is because, you get to create the entire party, not just one character, so you don't ever need to complain that, say, the cleric you just added to your party only has WIS 15, or whatever. You control every aspect of all your characters. Granted, you lose some of the fun characters; that is, nobody will be as entertaining as Minsc in IWD.

Plus HOW does add some new spells and some neat abilites to rangers, paladins and bards that aren't in IWD. And my favorite feature, which I hope gets added to BG2:ToB is the ALT hot key, which highlights items on the ground. Useful when you have piles of bodies to search through.

I'm playing IWD with only 4 party members and finding it a bit chalenging but not too tough. (BTW, those characters are a Paladin, fighter/cleric, fighter/thief, and cleric/mage currently at levels 8 through 10) If you're finding your lower level characters are dying early in IWD, you could check some of the walkthroughs at this site for excelent suggestions on how to balance out your party. Also, I like to have the auto-pause set to pause whenever an enemy is spotted, it cuts down on the suprise of having your walk into an ambush unexpectedly. (Though this auto-pause option may have been added only with HOW, I can't remember.)

Having said all that, I've never played all they way through a bioware game. Yet.
    I just got BG1 a little over a month ago... give me a break. ;) After IWD:HOW, I plan to pick BG1 back up where I left it in Chap. 3 and play my character through BG2, maybe finishing in time to install BG2:ToB :). After that I've got Fallout 1 & 2, which I picked up as a bundle for 10 bucks but haven't installed yet. So I can't comment if those early bioware games are worth playing, but I figure for $10 you can't go wrong :) Then, after I finish with those, I may actually go outside and see the sun.

6. Bowie Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Before anyone corrects me, I just checked and while Fallouts 1&2 are from Black Isle/Interplay, they don't appear to be apart of Bioware. Sorry for any confusion. :)

7. Voltric Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] As far as Fallout 1&2 go they are what got me playing interplay games to start with. They are both extremely good games. It's a different style than BG or IWD but still a great story and lots of verity. I highly suggest them both.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.