1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Need Help in Ice Temple

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Gorgonbreath, Jan 12, 2003.

1. Gorgonbreath Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

[​IMG] I'm trying to open the last locked chest in the treasure room after defeating Oria the last of the Priestesses of Auril. After teleporting in via the painting, and killing the Ice Golem, I can't unlock the chest which should hold the Ring of the Ram I need to return to Nathaniel upstairs. It tells me that lock picks or simple spells won't work...I am wondering if this is somekind of glitch transfer from the door or if there really is something special you have to do to open the chest. Tried shooting the lightning north but no mirror directs it into the room. What am I missing? Any help much appreciated.

2. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I'm unsure where it was exactly, but you need the key from Oria or her room.

3. Tantic Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Is it on the same levle or levle 1?

4. Necrophex Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

It's on level 2

5. Cross Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I just discovered that I had the same problem. Whenever I chose the Thieving icon and placed it over the chest, it went grey. Then, however, I simply tried to open it directly, no lockpicking, and lo and behold: the chest opened. I suggest you simply try opening it without attempting to pick the lock. Best of luck. :cool:

6. Gorgonbreath Gems: 3/31

[​IMG] I appreciate the contributions however no dice on all accounts. I've tried just opening the chest without lockpicking and all I get is the message LOCKED. As far as a key goes I have killed Oria twice, searched thru her stuff and every container on lvl 2 to no avail. The only thing I can think of now is that maybe it's because I haven't fully completed the battle square. I remember getting the key to Oria's room after completing lvl 5 on the battle square. I have completed thru rank 8 and am struggling with 9. Does anyone remember if the key to the chest is awarded after completing rank 10?

7. Anakha the Almighty Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

No, Battle Squares has nothing to do with that key.
    At least that higher levels. All you need to do is, win one fight in any rank/level. Also, you should already had the key if you killed Oria because you can't reach her without the key you obtained from Battle Squares.
    So, I honestly do not know the solution of your problem but at least I know it is not related to Oria's key.(Assuming you still hold the key)
    Maybe you should see the walkthrough section if have not already.

8. Viking Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

They all drop their keys when you kill them, so nothing doing with BS's.

Check that you still have all the keys in the party. If you have the chest at a guess should just open as if it wasn't locked.

9. Necrophex Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Also check if that none of the keys are in your bag of holding. If so, they won't work. Place them in your inventory and maybe now it will work.
    Good luck

10. Lazy Bonzo Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

You don't need the ring of ram to finish the temple. I know this because you can simply choose not to give it to nathaniel and keep it for yourself. So just move on.

11. Viking Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Can't put the damned annoying things that take up lots of bloody inventory space in the bag. Bloody annoying since it also goes for various other bits and pieces that I really didn't want to take up inventory spaces for, but was lothed to drop yet just in case.

SORRY - rant over.

12. Gorgonbreath Gems: 3/31

[​IMG] Viking, I feel your pain. There are way too many meaningless items that needlessly clog your inventory because we all know that somewhere down the line one out of fifty are going to be absolutely essential to moving on with the game. Very frustrating. Ok rant over...well sort of. Thank you all for your help but the only thing more frustrating than what I just mentioned is this stupid chest. I guess I should just move on but it sticks in my craw that I'm being cheated out of exp. I can't believe there ever was a key and I just somehow missed it, having replayed scenarios and checked through every container many times. Checked thru my bag of holding and inventory not there. Does anyone know for sure one way or the other if there really ever was a key for this chest containing the ring? If so it should come from Oria or her stuff because you're not allowed into the treasure room until after you kill her; and that drives me crazy because I've gone thru that whole episode more times than anyone should be subjected to. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

13. Lazy Bonzo Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

have you tried it with each party member? Just in case the key is there but you keep missing it. It only works with the one that holds it. Otherwise you could just console the experience or something.

14. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Good Lord.

I've played through this Ice Temple about 3 times, now. And still have yet to finish the game once.

As best I remember, the Ring is down by the Mirrored Party. All those guys trapped in the ice mirror. It's in the store room just below it. I don't believe you have to whack them to get the ring.

And yeah, Oria has the key. And you *should* have had to whack Oria to even get in the treasure room, so it's just a matter of holding down the ALT key, and finding which pile or container has the key.

[edit: just nailed this area. Kill everything that moves, except Nicadamius. Then, do THREE squares on the battle sqaure. That is the key step. You get the key to Oria after doing three squares of the battle arena. Kill oria, talk to the painting. And, you MUST pickup the diamond *and* the bag. The diamond is the key to the door. The door == no worky, unless you've picked up the diamond.]

[ January 14, 2003, 02:55: Message edited by: ejsmith ]

15. Gorgonbreath Gems: 3/31

[​IMG] Thanks everyone for your input but I am still without a clue as to what's really happening in my twilight zone Ice Temple. Tried all your suggestions to no avail. Each person opening the chest only gets the message LOCKED. The store room below the mirror prison has fun items like Gauntlets of Fumbling and Ring of Clumsiness but no Ring of the Ram; and no matter how hard I try to persuade Oria, she (and every possible pile and hiding place) still refuses to give up the phantom key I am searching for to open the chest. I am beginning to believe I have a gameplay bug, but I would love to be proven wrong. Does anyone else remember even needing a key for this chest?

16. ejsmith Gems: 25/31

I killed everything on the level, including the demon.

Did three squares on the battle arena, and got ORIA's key. Opened oria's room, whacked her, whacked her again.

Then to the painting. Which now gives you the phrase for the treasure room. Killed a golem there. And (I believe) detrapped and opened the chest. It has Nathinel's bag, and a diamond.

Then I just opened the north door.

That door is THE only way out. If you're in that room, and you've raided EVERYTHING from the chests:

1) You dropped the diamond. Hold down ALT, and find it.

2) You put the diamond in a gem bag. Take it out, put it in an inventory slot, open the door, then put that diamond back in the bag.

17. Gorgonbreath Gems: 3/31

[​IMG] Okay, ejsmith, I've tried it a couple more times and I am with you right up until the point you mention a chest in the treasure room that has Nathaniel's bag and a diamond. In my version of the game there are 6 chests in the treasure room, 5 of which I can open. In the 5 that I can open (though trapped) there are mostly magic arrows & bolts, gold, one scroll of animate dead, a ziose gem, a chresobyl gem, and a bloodstone gem. I've been pressing ALT since long ago and still no bag, no diamond, no key, nothing to help me open the 6th southernmost chest. I had a some diamonds on me from some other encounter, so I pulled it out and gave it to different characters to open the chest, didn't work either. I appreciate your follow through though because it's helping me decide that I must have some bizarre form of a gameplay bug, unless you or anyone else has other suggestions. Thanks.

18. Elios Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Did you try forcing it with the member with the highest strength?(click on the attack button then click on the chest) I thought I remember having to force a chest in the Ice Temple.

[ January 14, 2003, 08:41: Message edited by: Elios ]

19. Anakha the Almighty Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

To make somethings clear:
    Ejsmith had a mistake about the item locations. The treasure room south of Mirror of Life Trapping holds the "Nathaniel's Bag of Holding" at the southernmost stash, not "Nathaniel's Ring of the Ram".
    The ring is in the other treasure(west of lightning prism room) room which you can gain access by killing Oria. The stash is trapped and I believe you can NOT open it, if you detrap it. If this is the case, I suggest you load from a previous save game.
    BTW, why don't you just let the matter rest and go on your way. It just worth 2300 XP, not a big deal.

20. ejsmith Gems: 25/31

Yeah, that sounds about right. The treasure room is kind of optional, as is the Ring.

Good call.

I know the original Icewind better than this one. I can't quite pin it down to one thing, but I just can't seem to get into the game...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.